Thor (2011)

We’re finally approaching the summer movie season, and this year Marvel once again has the first weekend in May reserved.

Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=uHBnrJowBZE

Should be interesting to see someone like Kenneth Branagh tackle a superhero adaptation, especially since he apparently was so passionate about it. Hope it turns out as well as Iron Man did.

I’ll most likely be seeing this, because my friend really wants too. And she says there is buffed out attractive men in this. I haven’t seen the trailer, but I believe her.

Yeah, the superhero films have been quite gratuitously showing off the features of their protagonists. I guess it’s an effective marketing strategy.

Thor was never my favorite Marvel Hero, but I have seen nearly 85% of all of the Marvel Super Hero silms already, so I probably won’'t want to miss this.

My mates and I saw the trailer for this played before Sucker Punch. As young men in the mood for kung-fu fighting chicks instead of pretty-boy Scandinavians, we didn’t find this particularly interesting. Well, okay, from a ‘superhero geek’ point of view, it… still isn’t very interesting. One of my friends said that it’s the classic ‘searching for identity’ story, where Thor falls from grace and has to redeem himself without his powers before getting an uber-upgrade in the third act. While his theory may be true, we are not really looking forward to it because apparently in the comics he does more world-destroying, while in the movie, he appears as a mortal for most of the duration (at least, that’s how it seems like from the trailer).

I’d like to think I’m more open-minded than my friends (I’m more tolerant to what they find ‘boring’ storylines), but with movies like Rio, Fast Five, Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2 and Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides vying for my eyeballs and wallet in the coming months, I’m gonna have to see some really good reviews to warrant a theatrical visit for this one. :slight_smile:

[quote=“thedriveintheatre”]
pretty-boy Scandinavians

[quote]
So it’s true! <3

Um, wut? You mean it surprises you to know that handsome Scandinavian dudes exist? :neutral_face: :question: 8D

That’s not what I meant. In a previous post I said that I heard that there are atractive guys in this movie. I didn’t see the trailer so I didn’t know.

You can, like, watch the trailer anywhere online now. :slight_smile: Here’s the Apple trailer.

BTW, there’s a new TV spot on that Apple trailer link, and its apparently rated PG-13.

Personally, I prefer the original legends of Thor. He’s one bad-*ss Viking god. Some of his grand adventures include being tricked by the giants in a series of ridiculous challenges (such as lifting a cat, attempting to empty a horn of wine, and fighting an old lady!), undertaking an epic quest to find a kettle to brew mead, and dressing up as the bride-to-be of a giant to infiltrate his wedding! :wink:

I think I’ll skip this one.

Okay, so I saw a few commercials of it on TV and I’m a little bit more interested in seeing it. We’ll see how it changes when it gets released though.

I was in San Francisco yesterday, and I could not walk a block without seeing a poster for this movie, on a billboard, bus, or bus stop! They’re really pushing the advertising for this movie!

You got that right. And it isn’t going to be released for like another 2-3 weeks?

Yes! It’s strange. I didn’t see any advertising for Rio or Scream 4, both which are out right now.

I am getting a little bit excited for this one, it is receiving good reviews so far,
it will be released next week here on April 29th, Thor will be the pick of the week for sure

My family seems to be excited for this movie, so I’m gonna give it a chance when it comes out.

it already opened in Australia on Thursday:

Nikki Analysis:

deadline.com/2011/04/fast-fi … australia/

What did the critics say about the movie?

that it looks pretty good and descent, 93% at RT right now, take a look by yourself:

rottentomatoes.com/m/1197233-thor/

Oh that is a good number. I’ll think I’ll check it out, when it’s released.