Fast Five (2011)

[size=90]If this happened in the Cars world, that would be lethal.[/size]

So in addition to that other ‘bird-movie’, there’s another Brazilian-set movie I’m looking forward to the… counts fingers …fourth sequel to the highly-successful (and some may say overrated) car-racing, chasing, and smashing franchise- Fast Five! Or as it’s known in other territories, ‘Fast and Furious 5’, or ‘Fast and Furious: Rio’ ‘Rapide et dangereux 5’ or ‘Rapido y furioso 5’. :slight_smile:

If you know me by now, I’m a huge fan of car chase/racing movies, and this one I think has huge potential. I was quite disappointed with Fast and Furious (the last film back in '09) because they ‘cheated’ with a lot of fake-looking CGI, although the opening tanker sequence was pretty cool in the beginning. To me, a real car movie should be done with professional stuntmen, steel and fiberglass vehicles, and death-defying, real-life chase sequences. And with the exception of that pretty ridiculous cliff jump shown in the trailers, I’m looking forward to the other action sequences like the chase in the favelas, the crazy shootouts, and the vault heist and police chase down Avenida Rio Branco.

It also features the entire cast from all the previous four movies, except Michelle Rodriguez (whose character sadly made a quick exit in the last movie). That’s Vin, Paul, Jordana, Tyrese, Sung, and newcomer Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson as a kick-*ss federal agent on a mission to bring Vin and his crew down.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling now. Is anyone looking forward to this? Or am I just a nutty action movie fan? Will the fifth installment be a noisy ‘ricer’ or an understated ‘sleeper’?

Apple Trailer

Check out this cool interactive trailer where stuff flies outside the video borders: youtube.com/universalpicturesau

P.S. The movie opens in Australia tomorrow. I think it opens in the U.S. next week. I’m probably gonna wait for it to get off the ‘NFT’ (No Free Ticket) list and use an $8 voucher I have to redeem a normal 2D session (my cinemas has a large-format called VMax, but it’s an excuse to milk more money out of moviegoers). Wow. That’s a lot of ‘Ms’.

P.P.S. I always laugh at the way how the Rock flies backwards from that explosion at 0:48 from the 2nd trailer for some reason. 8D

Oh boy. i like the Rock, but to me, this movie just look like a movie just packed with car chases and nothing more. I haven’t seen a lot of things in the trailers that have made me want to see this.

It’s not just car chases, TSS. :wink: There will be shootouts, foot chases, explosions, pretty ladies…

And I heard the fight between The Rock and Vin Diesel will be legendary. It’s like a dream face-off for me, on the likes of Chuck Norris vs Mr T., or Jackie Chan vs Jet Li, or Sylvester Stallone vs Arnold Schwazenegger.

Apparently, The Rock called Vin to congratulate him on the box-office opening success of the fourth movie. And they originally planned Dwayne’s character to be played by Tommy Lee Jones (who played a US Marshal in two movies before). But… I mean, come on, how can Tommy go against Vin in a fight and win? So when they were considering the casting, Vin put in a good word for The Rock.

Turns out a compliment can go a very long way… :slight_smile:

Besides, I think The Rock and Vin are equally matched. Formidable opponents! And I’m sooo excited to see them beat the crap out of each other. :sunglasses:

If you need further convincing, here’s a clip basically explaining whatever I just said:

Fast Five - A Look Inside (Vin vs ‘The Rock’) [HD]

A new interactive trailer has been released on Yahoo Movies! Try to click the icons when they appear and factoids will appear in a window below. Once you complete the trailer, you’ll unlock preview clips, one of which includes about a minute of The Rock and Vin fight scene! :mrgreen:

movies.yahoo.com/feature/fast-fi … 1#belowNav

The five biggest eye candies in any action movie. :wink: Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of the Fast and Furious movies, but after taking a cinema class at my campus, one of my professors urged me to be careful when I choose to watch movies.

We all have our guilty pleasures, TSS. Yours might be superhero movies… mine are car chase movies. :wink:

We all are capable of appreciating quality movies. But again, this is quite subjective.

Oh I love car chases, gun fights, action scenes, hot girls and all that jazz in movies. It’s one of my guilty pleasures as well. Part of me just wishes that Fast Five offered something new.

Hee hee
theonion.com/video/today-now … -of,20188/

If I get off work in time, I’m going to see this movie with my friends this Friday, I hope I get to!

I might go and watch this, I was pondering it, but with driving lessons, towarsd end of college, economy as it is, trying to save as much money as possible! I do love my foot chases though (much more so than car chases imo) - just watch The Warriors, best foot chase/running movie in existance!

On a side note, will the dude ever be known simply as Dwayne or is he always going to be known as The Rock … :slight_smile:

tribefan: Laugh out loud! :slight_smile:

EJE and Pixarinho: Can’t wait to hear what you guys think! I’m planning to see this next ‘Cheap Tuesday’.

Check out this online exclusive trailer- I like how they make things fly out of the screen and fling the text around.

youtube.com/universalpicturesau

I call him both Dwyane and the Rock. I am still a fan of the WWE and his epic return as the Rock was nothing short of electrifying.

But when he’s in movies, I just call him Dwyane Johnson

I’m sad to say that my friends are going to an out of town theatre, and I can’t make it in time due to work. I might see a matinee, but I’m so busy! I just might have to wait for DVD.

Saw it tonight, and as someone not really familiar with the series, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It was cornball as hell but the cast had a great chemistry and the action sequences were masterfully shot and directed.

It was also probably a more accurate travelogue of Rio de Janeiro than Rio was, sad to say.

My plans to see this have been pushed back a week!

For the most part, I have heard generally positive things about this movie. My friends said it was the most fun they had in watching a movie in a long time.

That’s good to hear! Are you planning on seeing the movie TSS?

It has just became April’s largest ever box office opening on the opening day.

insidemovies.ew.com/2011/04/30/b … fast-five/

Congrats to it. :smiley:

That’s pretty extreme!

Beating out Fast and Furious, appropriately.

It’s also expected to be by far the biggest opener this year, more than Rio and Rango combined. It’s getting terrific word-of-mouth as well so it’ll be interesting to see what effect it may have on Thor.

Wow, it seems to be doing well. Congrats to a strong opening day.