Oscars changes its rules.

The Academy Awards have announced today changes in some of its rules. This of course has a lot to do with Pixar/animated films chances of getting nominated. Pay special attention to the changing number of nominees in Best Picture and Best Animated Picture.

that sucks, at least Pixar films are always the highest rated movies of the year at the Rotten Tomatoes score, that also proves how critics and audiences love these films

I was hoping for the “a film can’t be nominated for both Best Animated Feature and Best Picture when only IT is nominated for Best Picture” rule because if only ONE animated film is good enough to be nominated for Best Picture, then it’s better than the other animated films, and the Best Animated Feature category is pointless.

For the past years the animated films (specially the ones from pixar) have proven to be even better than some live action films

Well this sucks. Cars 2 is gonna have a less chance to win next year. I still think they can pull it off.

Even without this rule, it was highly unlikely that Cars 2 was nominated.

I agree on this would have been, but I do want to say that Brave would have likely been nominated for the 85th Academy Awards and this dampens its chances. It has to be exceptional for that to happen.

Also, I despise the idea of the elimination of the Best Animated Film category for any reason, other than fewer than eight films being released to activate the category in a given year. Since animated films are discriminated against for winning the Best Picture Oscar, even if they are nominated, they HAVE to have their own category.

Yes, I was hoping for Brave to be nominated too. Sadly, now this looks unlikely.

I agree completely.

Okay, I’m very confused. I read and reread over the rules, and I don’t understand. How is Brave unlikely for a nomination because of these rules? I don’t get it.

It’s sad that an animated film is seemingly barred from winning and even being nominated for Best Picture. UP and TS3 had no chance of winning, WALL-E was blatantly robbed, and other Pixar efforts can certainly be argued over. The injust nature of the Oscars is shameful.

It doesn’t get any easier for Animated movies to win Best Pictures huh? Why the rule changes? I thought that it’s all good for the past year. Why need change?

Thanks for sharing this with us, Spirit. I’m kinda confused like IV too. Nowhere does it mention that an animated film can’t be nominated for a Best Pic with the new rules, only that the chances are now slimmer because they don’t have to ‘round up’ to ten. Regardless of whether there are now ten, five, or eight nominees, if an animated film doesn’t stick out prominently enough, the Academy is not gonna give it a chance anyway.

It is not so much how many items can get into the ‘shopping cart’, as more of an entire paradigm shift of the shopper itself. If the Academy (made up of old, white, men) doesn’t change its perception of animation as a medium and not a ‘genre’ for kids, it doesn’t matter whether we have a big or small “bakeoff”.

Also, while it is nice that they now don’t have to vote to ‘activate’ the Best Animated Ghetto category, it surprises me that they had to do it in the first place.

Like I said on Twitter:

Of course, I realize that “deserving winners” is a loaded subjective phrase, but hey, if the Academy gives an Award to Brave, I’m happy. If they don’t, screw 'em, because I’m not going to let others decide what’s a good or bad movie in my heart. :neutral_face:

Wow this is a really great rule change and one that I had always thought the Academy should move to. A film should only be nominated for Best Picture if it truly deserves that credit, not simply because a quota of ten or five films needs to be filled. This should make nominations really interesting in the years to come. I hope that we see an array of numbers nominated each year. I am personally looking forward to when six films will be nominated. Eight would also be cool. I guess seven would be to… 8D

I like how they call the change of rules a ‘twist’. That’s neat.