Alpocalypse

Many of you have probably heard that the legendary “Weird Al” Yankovic is releasing a new album that comes out this Tuesday, “Alpocalypse”.

If you haven’t heard of Weird Al (for some god-forsaken reason), he’s a famous musician who takes other people’s songs and changes the words to make them funny (parodies them). He also makes plenty of style parodies (songs that are in the style of a certain artist or band) and original songs.

This is the track listing for Alpocalypse:

1. Perform This Way…Parody of “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga
  2. CNR…Style parody of The White Stripes
  3. TMZ…Parody of “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift
  4. Skipper Dan…Original
  5. Polka Face…his new polka, containing many popular songs from people like Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, etc.
  6. Craigslist…Style parody of the Doors
  7. Party in the CIA…Parody of “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus
  8. Ringtone…Style parody of Queen
  9. Another Tattoo…Parody of “Nothin’ on You” by B.O.B featuring Bruno Mars
  10. If That Isn’t Love…Style parody of Hanson
  11. Whatever You Like…Parody of “Whatever You Like” by T.I.
  12. Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me…Style parody of Meat Loaf

There are two different versions of the album being released, one with just the CD (or MP3’s if you’re buying digitally), and another with a bonus DVD containing 10 music videos, for every song except “Perform This Way” (The video is being uploaded to YouTube Monday) and “Polka Face” (the only “official” video for it is just a compilation of all the music videos of the songs in the polka, so it couldn’t be put on the album due to copyright reasons). And the version with the DVD is only a few dollars more than the regular version, so I’d recommend that.

Some of the songs (like CNR, Skipper Dan, Craigslist, Ringtone, and Whatever You Like) have already been released in 2008-2009 as part of Weird Al’s “Internet Leaks”, a compilation of songs from his new album he “leaked” online. “Perform This Way” has already been put on YouTube and released due to a now-resolved feud with Lady Gaga’s manager, and “Polka Face” has already been played in concerts.

That being said, I still think Alpocalypse is 100% worth the money, even if you already have some of the songs, especially if you bet the Deluxe CD/DVD version. And it comes out THIS TUESDAY! :smiley:

Anybody here planning on getting it?

I’m listening to some of these right now, really excellent stuff. I especially appreciate “Ringtone” and “Craigslist” as a huge fan of both Queen and The Doors, and they are cleverly done parodies.

Perform This Way is genius.

I love Wierd Al. Some of the songs on this album, I’m not a fan of, but dude, he is one funny artist.

I heard the “Party in the CIA” song. That was awesome! Would make for a good secret agent music video or movie.

If that song was used in a secret agent movie, it would be a very funny movie.

Cars 2, anyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m really digging Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me on this album. I’ve been replaying it since I got it :smiley: