"What Being a Critic Means To Me"

I know it’s kinda off kilter to post a new thread for one of my articles, but I think a lot of discussion could and should come from this about our role in the film industry, and I don’t see a thread that is related closely enough to what I want to say here.

Here’s the article: adventuresinhypergraphia.blogspo … to-me.html

And now I ask what it means to you. What being a critic means to you. What listening to a critic means to you. What critical opinion means to you. As a movie fan and a customer of the industry.

Interesting article there!

Personally I think being a critic can mean many things, and it must be remembered that constructive criticism is not always in the negative sense. It can also be in the praise of what the creator did right, not just what they may have done wrong (and after all since no story is perfect this can result in something interesting in of itself). It can be a celebration of the things we love. In a way critics can also help creators get in touch with the publics desires, perhaps putting words and reasons why something ‘clicked’ or did not click for the public. Or just for the critic personally. I do know in the past there has been the occasion where upon why I love or hate a movie a critic has been able to more aptly pin point and describe why this may be for me. Because yes, it can perhaps deep down for us symbolise X, Y or Z in some interpretations and can be applied to real life or how we want life to be.

Critics can have an important place in forms of entertainment. Sometimes they’re just generally interesting or entertaining as Ratatouille put forward. But I actually think it can be an art in of itself. The best critics can perhaps pinpoint not only their own opinions but also perhaps the opinions of others- of why someone may disagree, and perhaps just understanding human nature and desire in general.

This of course isn’t true of all critics- and in the age of the internet, almost anyone can be one, rather like anyone can be a writer or creator of some description. However those rarer gems, just like those creators can be a joy to read or be particulary interesting in their viewpoints- whether you perhaps agree with them or not on a particular movie. Critics can be valuable in dispensing necessary praise upon a movie which needs more attention or critique where a film is recieving too much. Sometimes it doesn’t always work out, but it’s better they exist overall. They can be used as a valuable starting point if on the fence over seeing a movie but also it must be remembered- they are people too and not perfect either, just like any story. With Cars 2 it was unfortunatly working against the other movies before it, which recieved critical acclaim from many as the type of film they loved. It is not as serious or what was expected of Pixar it seems and when expectations are not met it can sometimes result in harsher critcisms than otherwise warrented for it. I have little problems with the movie being compared with the original Cars (snce it has to function on two levels- as a sequel and as a movie in its own right), but personally I want to also see this movie for myself.

Overall if you enjoy a movie slammed by critics it’s perfectly fine as it is to not enjoy a movie otherwise praised (such as Up in my case), and critics are apt to disagree on matters anyway.

Excellent article, Netbug! Do you have Tumblr? I would like to Reblog and Like it please. :slight_smile:

Nothing much to say, except you said my feelings better than I could.