Game of Thrones

Okay so who watches?? i’m on ep. 8 right now and I’m totally hooked! STARKS FTW (and iron Man included)

Please refrain from shouting - TDIT

Haha, mayfly, my friends are obsessed with this show too! :slight_smile: They’re trying to introduce me to it - so far I finished Episode 4. Great story from a dramatic standpoint - but this is not your swashbuckling fairy-tale adventure tale with gallant knights and wizards. This is dark, brutal, and downright depressing stuff. People die, sometimes in the most terrible and unimaginable ways. Girls are treated horribly as pawns and objects, although some of them find the inner strength to persevere. The men are violent and cruel beyond measure. The children are equally guilty of sins as the adults.

If you’re below 15 (not you in particular, mayfly, I’m addressing readers in general), you really shouldn’t be watching this show. There’s tons of gore and naughty bits on display here. But judging from how many young members we have here whose parents let them watch Seth McFarlane sitcoms and gritty police procedurals, it’s not like you guys are gonna be seeing this - right?

But if you’re old enough and can appreciate a dark and unsentimental fantasy epic, you might enjoy this. Personally I’m the kind of guy who believes in human goodness and good triumphing over evil, but I can appreciate the moral ambiguity and complexity of the characters. Everyone has motive, no one is innocent. It’s a great show so far, but I’m still waiting to see if it gets more interesting as I go along.

The tagline sums it up perfectly: “You lose, you die.” :frowning:

Be sure to place spoilers in spoiler-tags for the benefit of those who haven’t completed the first season. And Mods, do you think this thread is appropriate for a general audience? Some of the show’s material might be unsuitable for minors.

DID YOU KNOW? The animation for the title sequence at the beginning of each episode changes according to the progress of the plot. So for example, if Ned is at King’s Landing, the Stark sigil will appear over that place in the map in the title sequence.

Yeah, I thought that this topic is a bit…I don’t want to say naughty heh, but it’s a dark show.

But it’s pretty awesome :slight_smile:

yeah I know, it’s a very, very strange show. First ep and I was like, eurgh. But hell, it’s awesome right? We could just not add the ‘naughty bits.’ :smiling_imp: :mrgreen:

Oh my God, I didn’t know that. I only noticed the sigils showing up next to the actor’s names according to their charries’ house. I LOVE THIS SERIES.

I’ve read the first book but haven’t seen the show- odd since it’s being shot here!

Guy seems like a decent writer- even if he is moderately idiotic about fanfic and wrong on what actually happened to H.P. Lovecraft. (Don’t ask.)

Only thing I’ve heard is this random fake bridge they placed somewhere here not too long ago (a few weeks ago I think?)- it annoyed one of my fellow postgrad students A LOT. Because it’s where she was getting freshwater specimens for her project and then it wasn’t as accessible at the time, and they were setting it up and filming. Really annoying in her case!