Foreign Pixar Planeteers?

What is your opinion on movies dubbed into your own language and what were the first ones you saw? They can be any movie!

For me it was Toy Story when I was about eight years old. I mostly did it after my father told me that the English voices usually were a lot better than the Dutch ones. I tried seeing Toy Story in English (with Dutch subtitles of course)… but halfway through the VHS began glitching! So I did not finish it that day. For shame. I only saw it in its entirety much later.

The second English film I saw did finish though - it was a pirated copy of Finding Nemo at my grandparents’ place, I remember being so happy that I was the first in my class to have seen it. :smiley:

And now I never want to watch Dutch dubs of ANYTHING. I prefer the English acting by far.
But the cinemas here are lame. They dismiss animation as kids’ stuff. Rango, for one, definitely not a kids’ movie, got a Dutch dub. Probably just because of that silly Animation Age Ghetto. Well, excuse me?! You don’t dub over Pirates of the Caribbean, so you don’t dub over Rango either! But nooo, it’s animation, animation is for kids, and nearly all of them here are unable to read for some reason! Tsk… perhaps I should move to England later in my life

Never once have I seen an animated film here rated 12+. Not even Legend of the Guardians and 9, which were the most brutal animated films I have seen.

I’m so sorry for rambling. Really, I appear angrier than I am. I just like complaining! xD

Oh, and if English is your mother tongue, you can always tell what the first foreign-language film was that you saw. :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose by foreign you mean not from an English speaking country, as Pixar movies are originally released in that language.

Well, I’m from one, and I hate dubbing with all my might. Not only from a Pixar film, but from any. Voice work means great part of the production process and acting, so when you’re watching a dubbed film, you’re not watching the original one, in the form the filmmakers intended it to be seen. A dubbed film is simply a totally different version of it, and always a lesser one.

Sadly, theater owners and film distributors in my country don’t understand that (because they’re simply interested in film as a business and can’t understand it as an art), so they rarely release animated films in original language, to the great rage of film addicts.

Dremworks Animation, for one, has been releasing it’s films both in original language and dubbed version, giving a nice alternative for those who can’t read very well (little kids and people with poor eyesight) and for film fans who don’t want to watch a movie that has been butchered.

Sadly, Disney has been simply too slow to understand that in this country, and their animated releases are almost never available in original language, making me angry as heck.

First off, i’m from the States, so I find it nice to meet Pixar Planet members that are from other parts of the world.

Second, I can understand why you guys don’t like dubbing from Pixar movies. I belives strongly that all movies should be enjoyed in it’s original form.

Yeah, I mean, my top priority when I’m visiting flea markets is English-language Disney films, either with or without subtitles. They’re rare, though. The only one I have without subtitles is Beauty and the Beast. Awesome film, I saw it today, but I think I still need subtitles to understand it fully. :stuck_out_tongue: Odd, since with MLP:FiM and DKC I have no problems with understanding them without subs…

But even so, I think Disney is the only one who are pretty good at dubbing. Just… I prefer the originals. I mean, I hear Dutch as a language being spoken every single day, so I can easily hear what’s good acting and what isn’t. xD

I’m from the US but I usually prefer to watch foreign movies in their original language with subtitles.

^ Exactly. It’s doesn’t just apply to English.

I prefer to watch French films in French, Japanese films in Japanese, and so on.

Same here. I wanted to watch the animated film Animals United at first, in German… its original language.

But, aside from the obligatory dubbing… the film looks kind of bland to my taste, so I don’t feel like watching it anyway. xD