Film Highlights of 2011

I know it’s a little early, and just short of all the christmas/Oscar bait flicks, but I just couldn’t help myself.
What films have been your highlights of the year? What has suprised and dissapointed you? How did your most anticipated turn out, and which films for the winter are you looking forward to? And which films stand a shot at the Oscars?

My top five of the year so far:
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2. What a fantastic ending to such a wonderful series. Although it is by no means my favourite Potter film, they sure did deliver. Makes me a little teary eyed to know that there won’t be another one o_0
Super 8. I absolutely loved this film. It felt very old school and yet fresh at the same time. I think the young actors in the film are marvellous, and I hope this film gets looked back on with very fond memories.
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn. Beautifully animated, faithful to it’s source and a lot of fun, I think that this is easily one of the best, if not the best, mocap film I have seen. I really, really hope that this breaks it’s $120m budget…
Horrible Bosses: A bit of an odd choice because comedies aren’t always my cup of tea, but this was a very funny, albiet formulaic, film. The fact that Kevin Spacey is in it probably helped :stuck_out_tongue:
Paul: I loved Pegg & Frost, and whilst I was in despair of sorts because Edgar Wright wasn’t directing, I was still impressed and very much amused by this.

Honourable mentions include: Attack The Block, Chalet Girl, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, Burke and Hare, Rio, Rango, The Help, Winnie the Pooh and The Debt.

I was suprised by how much I enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes, as I’ve not a fan of any of the PotA films. Bridesmaids was also suprisingly enjoyable too.

Disappointed with Cars 2, although I still liked it, and also with Thor, Thirty Seconds or Less and Cowboys & Aliens, which looked good and failed to deliver anything more than mush for my poor brain 8D

The only films I was really looking forawrd to at the start of the year were Potter, Tintin and Cars, all of which delivered, which perhaps the exception of the latter. Looking forward to Arthur Christmas, The Muppets Movie, Puss In Boots and War Horse, and for next year, John Carter, The Women In Black, The Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, The Hobbit and Brave. However, the Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Happy Feet sequels look like absolute torture :neutral_face:

As for the Oscars…I dunno actually. I feel this year has been rather average; nothing spectacular and yet nothing terrible, so I believe the awards will go mainly to obscure indie films who have tie-ins with the academy…

On a personal note, I’m disappointed with the lack of originality. Please have more original screenplays and less remakes, sequels, adaptations, real life stories and so on.