Pixar Planet

Movies that you like and a lot of people seem to hate

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Re: Movies that you like and a lot of people seem to hate

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Atlantis
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Leirin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:27 am

^Yes. This, so much!
All my friends like it, luckily. It's criminally underrated.
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby theoutsider1983 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 am

Atlantis is the only Disney movie I started watching and I never finished.

Edit: Pocahantas is another Disney movie I've never finished. These are the only two.
theoutsider1983
Toy Collector

Postby CowgirlJessie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Muppets From Space gets a lot of hate, especially from the more die hard Muppet fans. But I love it, in spite of all the flaws that it has.
Deviant Art | Envious
Future Pixar Musician
I'm a Pixarteer!
CowgirlJessie
Toy Collector

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Leirin wrote:^Yes. This, so much!
All my friends like it, luckily. It's criminally underrated.

I know! Every time someone says they don't remember it or it's boring, I want to cry. 8D
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Leirin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:05 am

Me too! :lol:
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby Flame of Awesomeness » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Treasure Planet is my big one. It's one of my top 5 Disney films, yet everybody seems to hate it. Shame... :cry:
Flame of Awesomeness
Mutant Toy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am

Flame of Awesomeness wrote:Treasure Planet is my big one. It's one of my top 5 Disney films, yet everybody seems to hate it. Shame... :cry:

I find that most people haven't even heard of it. Sadly.

I really like the first two Shrek films, but I find a lot of Pixar fans dislike it. I know that J Katz isn't admirable in my opinion, but they are still two darn good films in my opinion.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:09 pm

I thought Treasure Planet had a wonderful premise (Stevenson's swashbuckling adventure in space!). Although, I felt Jim Hawkins wasn't a really strong protagonist - there was a 'How To Write An Animated Film Script' book, of which I forgot the title, where the author says that Jim gave up too easily during that scene on the deck with Silver (the one where he cries into the pirate's shoulder). And I felt the same way too with a lot of the other characters like his mum and the sexy cat captain. Dr Doppler was my favourite, though, I just love his Freudian slips!

I loved Home On The Range when I first saw it a few years ago on a library DVD when I was a young uni student (it was also around the same time I watched Treasure Planet). I mean, the trio of spunky cows (voiced by Judi Dench, Roseanne Barr and Jeniffer Tilly) were funny, and that scene where they act all sad in the rain really got to me for some reason (along with one of the breaking the fourth wall wondering why "it always rains when it's sad"). And the cattle rustler was one of the more hilarious baddies of Disney's canon (he serenades the cows with his yodeling), although you could never really take him seriously. A lot of film critics and movie books I've read panned it as one of Disney's weaker efforts, but to me, it had a lot more soul and wit than, say, Chicken Little.

Also Cuba Gooding Jr. voices a horse and Steve Buscemi, a one-legged rabbit!
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Amy43 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Flame of Awesomeness wrote:Treasure Planet is my big one. It's one of my top 5 Disney films, yet everybody seems to hate it. Shame... :cry:

I love that movie!
ImageImage

My favorite Pixar characters are Randall, Gill, and Francesco! My avatar is Leonard from North by Northwest.
Amy43
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:56 am

TDIT: It's interesting that you mention Home on the Range! Because just a few minutes ago I mentioned it on another thread. I actually kind of like this movie. The soundtrack is great and I really like the character design. and you mentioned the cast. I think it has one of the best casts of any Disney animated film.

The story may not be fantastic, I admit that. But I think it gets more hate than it deserves.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Ding » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 am

I genuinely loved Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. I know a lot of critics lauded it as one of the best films ever made, but an even larger proportion of them and the general public hated it. I can see how the experimental/nonlinear style might not be for some people, but I've heard stories about people walking out of the theater when it was still showing and that makes me upset. :(
Ding
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 pm

TDIT: It's interesting that you mention Home on the Range! Because just a few minutes ago I mentioned it on another thread.

Ah, the Least Favourite Disney Movie thread?

Along with the points you mentioned, I think it's the little moments of absurdist humour (like the little fly apologising at 1:26 of the trailer, that always gets me for some reason :lol: ) that were also seen in another favourite of mine (and which a lot more Disney fans loved), The Emperor's New Groove. In fact, they would make a great double feature because of their 'revisionist history' parodies and postmodern references.

Ding: Even though I don't trust most film critics (despite being one myself), I'm very curious to see Tree of Life if only because they couldn't reach a consensus on it. It is these kind of indie films which interest me, instead of the overhyped or overpraised ones like Slumdog Sweep-All-The-Gongs (it's a wonderful movie, don't get me wrong, but I didn't buy the praise poured on it) or what-on-earth-was-the-ending-about No Country For Old Men, or There Will Be Blood, which I fell asleep halfway through.

Another recent movie that divided critics, Cloud Atlas, is premiering here next week, and I'm very eager to see it.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby pixarmilan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Ding wrote:I genuinely loved Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. I know a lot of critics lauded it as one of the best films ever made, but an even larger proportion of them and the general public hated it. I can see how the experimental/nonlinear style might not be for some people, but I've heard stories about people walking out of the theater when it was still showing and that makes me upset. :(
My Father absolutely loves it, but I found it boring and a bit pretentious (if I'm honest).
pixarmilan
Piston Cup Champion

Postby Ding » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 am

thedriveintheatre wrote:Another recent movie that divided critics, Cloud Atlas, is premiering here next week, and I'm very eager to see it.

Oh, you're going to love Cloud Atlas! I've only seen a few films that can match its raw ambition. I thought it was the best movie of the year, and was really upset to hear that it didn't get any Academy Award nominations.
Ding
AXIOM Crewmember

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books