Radio Interview with Brad Bird

I heard the last half of a radio interview with Brad Bird (and Charles Solomon) on the local NPR station here today… quite a good interview. Usually the interviews are placed online later that day or the next day for people to listen to (thougn it seems sadly they’re in .ram format instead of .mp3). Anyway, it was on a local LA show called “Air Talk” on KPCC (89.3), a local NPR station.

Here’s a link:
scpr.org/programs/airtalk/
Note that as of the time I’m posting this, the interview isn’t up on the website yet (it just finished) but should be within 24hrs. It was on today’s show (Feb 4th). There’ s a link for “latest archive show” that should be updated soon with Feb 4th’s.

If anyone wants to get it and convert it to mp3, that’d be great… (I don’t have real player installed, as I hate it). But the parts I heard on the air, it was a very good interview, covered a lot of things.

EDIT: I’m deleting the other link I originally posted (to get the “latest episode” in mp3 format instead of real media) because unfortunately the show is two hours long (Brad Bird was interviewed in the 2nd hour) and the file they put up was just the 1st hour.

I’m not sure if there is a file area here on PP or anything… I’d love to hear the interview but I refuse to put RA on my computer and can only listen to it if it’s in MP3 format (which it’s not, the normal station link is in Real Audio format only). Oh well… at least I heard most of it unless someone can convert it to mp3 and wants to post or email it to me…

For those who don’t know, Charles Solomon is a critic and expert on animation (he used to write for the LA Times, and his main focus is on animation, whether it be Brad Bird or Hayao Miyazaki. He’s a pretty informed guy and the host has both Solomon and Bird in the studio.

Thanks, miafka. I’ll subscribe to the RSS feed and download it when it comes up. :mrgreen:

Cool find. I’m pretty much going to do what rachelcakes1985 is going to do.

It’s actually up on iTunes and I listened to it and was a pretty good interview. If you read the blog I’m sure you are aware I got a kick out of Brad correcting Mantle on Animation not being a genre.

Thanks miafka.

Sorry, but I cannot open the .ram file, and don’t have a iPod (iWish iHad iPod :cry: ). Can someone please help me?

Go to iTunes and grab the podcast that way if you can A113. If not, I’ll see if I can grab the link from there.

Thomas, could you please give me a link? I can’t find it on iTunes.

For those who haven’t heard the interview yet and who don’t use itunes, I just found a direct link to it in mp3 format. The URL is kind of long…
everyzing.com/viewMedia.jsp? … x=1&seek=0

You might need to paste it together.
If not, just type in the name of the sight: www.everyzing.com and do a search for “Airtalk” and “bird” and sure enough, hour 2 of Feb 4ths Airtalk came up. You can listen online if you want, but also on the lower left of the online player there’s a place to click for “download” where you can download it in mp3 format. Now I’ll finally have a chance to hear the beginning part that I missed.
Enjoy everyone

Just a note: the Brad Bird interview starts around the halfway point. And the link above should work.

Thanks so much for the link, miafka! I’m listening to it right now.

Say it, Brad! :smiley:

I really encourage anyone who hasn’t listened to this, to do so. Here’s a direct link. Just save-as and it should open up in your Real Player and stream.

The first thing I noticed was… they copied Radio Pixar’s intro! ;-p

It’s refreshing to hear an interview with Brad, for a change because his personality comes through a lot better and he puts on a few accents and voices. As A113 said, I liked how he caught the interviewer when he said Brad Bird worked in the genre of animation. Heheh. :laughing:

He had me cracking up when he said [spoil]that Ratatouille would not look out of place in a Pixar family photo, like the deformed child whose father was the mail man.[/spoil]