Posting Clarifications

Hi Guys,

Just a few general reminders:

1. When posting, please, please, please don’t post one or two words posts, or posts like “OMG!!! New movie!!!”. We can understand your excited, but it brings absolutely nothing to the thread. We’d like to maintain some kind of posting quality here at least.

2. Posts deemed to be used for simply bumping post count is not on and will probably be seen as spam and deleted. Your post count doesn’t matter, as the old adage says, “It’s quality, not quantity”.

3. Keep thread titles descriptive. There’s nothing worse than going into a new thread that is titled “OMG! I Never knew!”

4. Before posting a new thread, make sure it doesn’t already have a thread of its own first. If you happen to miss the previous thread, as does happen from time to time, i’ll just merge the two, but let’s try and cut down on this.

5. Most important. Let’s keep it friendly and mature. We are all friends here so lets not start flame wars about silly things like the credibility of Wikipedia, and let’s keep our discussion mature and not stoop to low arguments that have no evidence.

Other than that, just remember to have fun.

bawpcwpn

UPDATE: Here are some extra tips from rachelcakes1985:

• Spell check your post
  • Preview and re-read your post

And here is one from TheStarSwordsman:

• Please refrain from using ALL CAPS when posting something as it looks as if you are shouting and can be quite rude.
  • Also refrain from excessive smiley’s in a post eg. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :confused: :frowning: :sunglasses: :astonished: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

HEy there bawpcwpn

I believe I find myself a little guilty with some of these, but I will try to change. Thanks for the reminder!

It’s very good to see some control and organisation return to the boards.

Ditto what lizardgirl said. Let’s just hope the people who are doing this stuff will actually comply to these reminders.

I just hope that members will actually read these reminders.

Me too.

I pray that’s sarcasm :laughing:

I’m glad that these points have been addressed. Unfortunately, the people who are most guilty of those things probably wouldn’t bother reading this thread anyway… But stranger things have happened. Here’s an idea: maybe for all new members who have just signed up, they are redirected to a post with the basic forum rules on it, so that they read it before actually starting to post (well, in theory, anyway). I’ve seen this done in other forums, and it seems like a pretty fair thing to do.

Another strong suggestion from me is for people to check their spelling before submitting. Sometimes my brain hurts just trying to decode a post. I know some people may have dyslexia or may not be the most natural spellers, but Mozilla Firefox has an in-built spell checker if this is a problem… And remember to preview your message before you post it and re-read it back to yourself to see if the message is clear and actually makes sense.

silly topics about the credibility of wikipedia. i wonder who thats pointed at.

jk, A113. i seem a little guilty of that one with my dreamworks topic :confused:

Don’t worry, i can take a joke RR. :wink:

sometimes…mwahaha…

I agree. But, I am a bit of a nuisance when it comes to spelling. Still, can’t help it - my Mac has a spell-check built in and to submit something with a bunch of red squiggly lines under it … well, I just can’t. xD And it helps me to spell better. I didn’t know Firefox had it built in - I just knew my computer in general is quite fussy about that. :laughing: Can’t blame them - we don’t want a future filled with illiteracy - what a nightmare! :open_mouth:

if i’m in that future (and i really, really hope i am) it will, unfortunately.

Well, I don’t have an automatic spell-checker on my computer, but at least I can limit my spelling mistakes. I think those who can’t need to really double-check before posting.

Suggestion: See if you can add this tip bawpcwpn. Please refrain from using all CAPS and excessive smilieys in your posts.

^Amen brother.

I used to play grammar nazi over at another forum I used to at in, but here I’ve kept to my own business regarding other indiscretions.

Although I do hate it, maybe there actually should be a grammar police. However, constant reminders of mistakes would annoy users just as much as the mistakes themselves.

Maybe it could be done via PM? I would volunteer.

I don’t think we need a grammar police. All members have to do is re-read their posts to double check their spelling and grammar.

As long as a post is coherent, and people can identify basic grammatical errors such as the difference between “their” and “they’re”, then there’s not much of a problem. And yes, excessive use of caps and smileys can also be very irritating, especially if they make the message more difficult to understand.

A grammar police, as such, is unnecessary. Gentle reminders every now and then, on the other hand, might be a good idea.

Well, I don’t think having the grammar police would be necessary at this stage, especially as we all make mistakes now and then, but if someone constantly writes gibberish, which diminishes the quality of the forum and violates the rules, then they should be warned otherwise it just continues. This may seem harsh, but if other forums have rules that their members have to abide by, then I don’t see why we should be different.

Rachel: Yes, but you have to admit that a forum with too many rules (it’s happened before) can lose members very easily. Just saying be careful.

At most, someone should PM members who make these mistakes, requesting nicely that they fix it.

A113: I understand what you are saying, but I think that rules were made too be folloewed by. If members don’t like folling them, then they could do one of three things. Tough it out, accept and be happy, or leave. NO one is forcing them to stay, all we ask for them to do on PP is just quality discussion.