Custom Troika Replica Images 9/14/11

For discussion on this topic please refer to this thread, however, I think these pictures merit their own thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8940

So the first prototype pictures are finally ready. These can be adjusted (read below). Also, please note that these are NOT lacquered. They will not be lacquered until adjustments are made. Lacquer will give them more shine and make them look more plastic-like.

First I want to show you some of the high-def images I sent them they are basing the prototype off of:

And now…the CUSTOMS!

So what does everyone think? Comments about improvements are welcomed from ANYONE (whether you plan on purchasing or not). I, for one, overall am very, very happy with these. These are the best I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying something with the extremely talented artists on the forum.

Some of the tweeks that I might mention are:

1. The Dog’s eyes seems just a tad too far apart, making his expression look a little off. I would like the eyes moved slightly closer together

2. The Duck’s Bill/Beak, seems a little too pink. I think it should be more of a reddish color.

3. The Ducks’s Bill and maybe eyes should be moved a little more down or something, something is slightly off in the face (at least in one of the images.

Like I said, overall these seem very high quality to me.

[b]* Sorry Slink, please keep discussions to constructive criticisms about the replicas as per current forum rules about non-trading. *

• TDIT[/b]

If I have missed anything, please let me know

Look forward to hearing from you all,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Slink

tell them to buy some orange paint and get that goldfish looking closer to the real deal. other than that, I love them! I would do that spot on the back of the dog just a solid brown color though, it looks a little sloppy. I’ll probably throw in for these. Won’t be able to until September 23rd though!

What about the fish you do not like, colorwise? Because I think it looks really good as is. It would be hard to see the scale lines if it was much darker. Honestly, I was most impressed with the Cat and Fish. Let me know, you might be onto something I’m missing

Just isn’t the same colors. Looks the furthest off to me.

I think they look great! :smiley:
I do think the colour of the fish is a bit too light though.
I dont really want to pay more than $54.50 ,because they are quite minor characters.

Yes, someone else made this comment, I actually think the photos might be too “cool” or they might be lacking orange. I’m currently investigating this. I’ll let you know any updates.

If these can be fixed, in addition to the goldfish being darker, I may be interested. I don’t want to pay more than $54.50 though, and it would have to wait a month or two when I have more money.

But I just want to personally say, great job so far. It’s fantastic to see a collector take such pride in making perfect customs of a character who only appears in Toy Story 1 and 2 for about 3 minutes total.

Not sure if we are going to get 20 people on board, so $54.50 is a long shot. It still remains possible though.

Just for the record, I’ve told them to make the following changes:

1. move the dogs and ducks eyes slightly closer together

2. Make the goldfish more orange (this might actually just be the photo, it might be more orange in real life), as well as making the green in the duck more vibrant.

3. Make the mouth on the dog slightly wider

4. Make the Ducks bill more reddish and less pinkish

5. Make the spot on the dogs back one solid color. The effort was good, but it looks sloppy, it will look better as a solid color.

Those seem to be the major complaints and those should be corrected in the near future…updated pics will come when I get them

Again, I’m hoping to get 20 people to get the discounted price. But I would expect the 10-19 number to be the range for the price, as that is the most realistic. Remember, these will be one of a kind. I know they are minor characters, and I only expected hardcore collector interest. Remember the prototype took $200 to produce.

Oh, and one more thing I noticed (Sorry, I know you just sent them fixes :blush: ) - the fish’s lips, like the duck’s bill, are a bit too pink and need to be more redorange-ish.

That also might be the picture…i’ve talked about this with others…we think the picture might be off, and real life might look better…once again, thats also being looked into

Just wanted to thanks those of you that provided input!

OMG they look amazing :open_mouth:

Those look amazing!! But i think the dogs eyes are spouse to be a little bit closer to each other.

Yeah I know, that is one of the things they are correcting…stayed tuned, hopefully prototype 2 will be ready soon

Wonderful! These are looking very classy :slight_smile:

As I say, count me in pending further updated pics. I imagine with the lacquer these’ll look fantastic. They already look the most screen accurate to date.

However, as a likely customer with a desire for screen accuracy it would be remiss of me not to mention the following points in order to get these looking top-notch. I know it’s your aim to strive for screen-accuracy too so I hope these points benefit the final outcome:

The big splodge on the rear of the dog Troika (and all the splodges on him in fact) should definitely be one solid colour as seen here:

and here:

The border around the duck’s beak on your replica is either too thick (wide) or too black, I can’t quite tell which from looking at the film still. As seen below it is either missing entirely, very fine, or of a closer colour to the main beak:

Also, looking at the above comparison, your replica duck’s beak is off colour and needs to get wider, quicker as it tapers down (only by a fraction). Eyes have been mentioned but just to confirm, your replica’s eyes are too round and a bit wonky in height and distance from the beak (pupils are slightly askew too). Maybe a production issue.

Fish - colour is definitely off. Yours is far too yellow and has a lot more contrast between the main ‘scales’ base colour and the top portion / face area than the screen version:

Scale positioning is a little off too but it’s not even worth mentioning as its such a minor point and must have been hard enough to get as good looking as you’ve already got it.

Weird blue thing and ladybird are looking very nice indeed. Maybe a bit of colour correction on the muzzle area of blue guy (a tad more yellow perhaps?) and watch the path of the whiskers (bit of a nit-picky point there!):

The above points are not to be taken as personal criticism of the work you’ve achieved, simply a list of constructive ideas that would improve these already fabulous items. The main ‘issues’ relate to colour, which is hard to gauge accurately from the photos alone. when these have a bit of a shine on them it could totally alter the colours because of the specular.

Also, just wondering about the rings on the base of your replicas. I know they’re necessary to have these stand upright. When these toys are alive in the film I’m guessing they can balance themselves upright of their own accord. I feel sorry for the ladybird though. When these toys are sentient she must just be alive in the dark centre, claustrophobic and panicking but unable to get out unless all of the other four open their mouths.

I look forward to updates. :slight_smile:

Booh88,

The Dog’s Spot is already being corrected. In the high definition blue ray shots of toy Story 2, when the toys are gathered around Mr. Spell, the dog has a pattern on it’s back spot. This is what they tried to replicate. Actually, they tried making it more “screen accurate” based on the pictures I sent them. However, it does look sloppy and this will be corrected to a solid color

The color of the Duck’s beak will be changed, it is too pinkish and not reddish. This will be corrected. As far as the border and the shape, I’m not sure those specific things can be corrected. The darker color beak will make the border less noticeable for sure…but I believe the shape is a little off due to the shape of the wooden eggs being slightly difference then the shape of the plastic eggs in the movie. I believe it will, in fact, look worse if they try to change it. The eyes will be fixed and made closer together, which I believe is the problem with the way it’s face looks. I believe the eyes are fine, its imply their position

The Fish is also going to made darker orange, that will be the most major change.

The small bases are needed so they can stand. So unfortunately can’t be changed.

I appreciate the constructive criticism as they will help improve the item.

I would like to think after the next prototype, most people will happy enough with them to buy them, if they are interested at all

Look forward to giving an update when I can!

On a side note, your comment on the cat’s whiskers. I know you are nitpicking…but if you notice, in the movies, the troikas expressions actually changed. The dog scowls and the picture of them that you comparing them too, they all have a slightly “scared” look their face…it’s right before Sid’s first appearance and all the toys are scared…so as far as little thing like that, the faces actually move…so don’t assume that simply because they don’t have little nuances from one particular picture, that they can’t be screen accurate…i honestly don’t know what exact screen accurate will look lik…no one really does

Woah…way to blast a lurker out of the shadows. Never felt any need to post before, but have read EVERY post in the TSC and Replica threads…great info in both threads. I’ve checked this forum regularly this past year since Toy Story 3 made acquiring these toys essential in spite of being way too old (kinda). haha T

Only problem with purchasing these Troikas would mean acquiring Wheezy, Lenny and a bunch of characters (mostly rare and expensive) I’d became perfectly content to pass on. The new TSC Bonnie’s Toys are getting my “buy now” trigger finger kinda itchy as it is though so might have to bite the bullet on these and get a set sent over to Scotland :wink: I’m a definitely maybe.

Are they made out of woods?

Yes, they are painted wooden russian nesting eggs…biggest one is 4 inches tall…but hopefully after the plaqcer is added, they’ll look shiny like plastic :slight_smile:

Welcome out from the shadows!

I felt the same way too when I went to Toy Story on Ice…did I want to buy a Lenny? Because I knew if I did I’d want all the minor characters…well I bought it…and it lead to wheezy, mr mike, etc…

it’s been a little expensive…but in the end, i’m loving my collection