Pixar Planet

Merida Disney Princess Redesign

Talk about Pixar's movie Brave here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Merida Disney Princess Redesign

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 am

IncredigirlVirginia wrote:I love the movies, and in my eyes, that's how the characters should be. I have no anger towards Disney

I am kind of like you in that way. I think these designs don't bother me because it's just like a if a young girl tried to draw a princess. She wouldn't look exactly the same, but you'd know who the princess was. If it's like in a TV special or a short and they look quite different though, then maybe I have more of a reason to like the design less. I guess I would like for them to look as exact as the original versions as possible, but I don't feel disappointed with the re-designs somehow. I think I just expect there to be some changes, just so I'm not disappointed afterward.

Well, that's nice that Merida is CG on the website, though! :D
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 am

Funny you should say that. I showed my dad the two images compared, and he said the new one looked terrible and that I should give up fanart. 8D If it was art by young fans, that would be sweet. And surprisingly good. But to me it is nothing short of immature for a private business to "the birds and the bees up" a bunch of childhood role models. I'm not "disappointed", more anticipating the return of the rest of the princesses. ;)
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed May 15, 2013 5:31 pm

copypasta of my rant from FB, slight sidetrack into My Little Pony territory, but the essence remains the same, we need more diverse female role models:

Good on brenda! This BS about defining success as one ideal (thin, white, princess, et cetera) has got to stop.

This reminds me of a similar case with MLP: FIM. Lauren Faust, the show creator who also left the studio when her contract expired, wanted the charactera to represent different role models for girls, cos (paraphrasing) not every girl wants to be a princess.

And then the writers thought turning the unicorn Twilight Sparkle into an alicorn princess would be a good idea, presumably to sell more toys for marketing.

Writer Megan Mccarthy even said: "Every little girl wants to be a princess."

If that is true, it's a sad homogenised world indeed.

Talking about ridiculously-skinny and good-looking monarchs, I was watching cartoons this morning before work (cos I have enough of watching pessimistic, sensationalist news at my office already), and this show called Doc McStuffins came on. It's about a six-year-old African-American girl who dreams of becoming a doctor like her mum. When she puts on her stethoscope, her toys magically come alive (presumably Calvin and Hobbes make-belief style), and she treats their ailments, which range from worn-out parts to split-heart-itis (heartbreak). I think it's fantastic that this character has a different ambition than being a stereotypical princess.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against royalty, although I know some folks in Oz who despise the Queen (constitutional monarchy and all that jazz). It's just I'm tired of programmes pandering to a certain gender mindset, that pink has to be a girly colour (boys used to wear pink and girls wear blue in Victorian times, apparently), or that they must play dress-up with toy ponies or fairy-tale castles. Why can't we make a show about a girl who wants to be an athlete? Or an engineer? Or a scientist?

I'd also like to see Disney have a female protagonist with the possibility of becoming a princess not become one, for once. Mulan is the closest, but she's not of royalty, so there was never a chance to begin with. Vanellope in Wreck-It-Ralph, perhaps?
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Very interesting TDIT! Ah MLP. What was once a beacon of female diversity, now the center of pink glitter. Ugh.

I love princesses. I want more princesses, and am glad they made Merida a DP, and restored her previous appearance. But more non-princess characters would broaden the role model choices even more! However, I like the diversity of available princesses, and would call for even more. Any girl can be a princess, IF that's what she wants. ;)
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Leirin » Wed May 15, 2013 11:47 pm

When I read this (Brenda's reaction) I mostly agreed at first, but felt kind of mixed— and now I mostly just feel mixed.

I don't feel like her design in itself was tampered with all that much! I think the eyelashes are too thick, maybe the lips a little too "pouty", and the waist too slim/too curvy. The dress being sparkly doesn't concern me too much. It is a little over the top but I thought the sparkles were just part of the DP line aesthetic that they're pushing for now. (Again, a design choice I wouldn't have made, but it's really not that bad).

I would request changes, but overall, I don't see it as being all that different. In fact, the only thing about the DP/merchandise version of Merida that bothers me is how they make it look like she's happy with the traditional princess life, when in the movie it's a key plot point that she doesn't like it. Or making her look happy to be in the dress that was tight-fitting and restraining! I think some of the Mulan merch does this too, unfortunately. :(

In general I've always wished the promo art for Disney princesses (and heck, Disney characters in general) was less... shiny. What's wrong with the smooth-color look of the cells? It just looks weird how heavily they airbrush, and draw features differently. Snow White's eyes look HUGE in comparison to her movie eyes in some of the images. I do like that Cinderella has visible ears now, though.

Ehh. I'm really still just mixed on it. I guess I don't feel too strongly about this "redesign" but I would prefer something more faithful, for really all of the Disney princesses.
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu May 16, 2013 12:16 am

Agreed 100%! I'm not infuriated, and I love Disney. Bit Disney merchandise on the whole could be more accurate.

http://rebeccahains.wordpress.com/2013/ ... n-experts/

I love this article. It's hilarious!

EDIT: Disney responds!!! http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/05/e ... -use-only/
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby ObsessedWithPixar » Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 am

I'm really glad to see that Disney handled it well. I know that that poor artist who drew that original drawing, as LQ said, must feel awful. The new Merida rendering looks great though! I really have had no problem at all with anything about the Princess-fied Merida. She's an epic role model, but truly so are the other Princesses for many reasons. I don't think a touch of glitter makes that big a deal. And this coming from a girl who is half-tomboy and half-girly-girl (Meaning I love glitter and pink and Rapunzel, but I also love blue and Lightning McQueen and Buzz Lightyear). I mean, all the Princesses have something that makes them stand out and be different and strong, so I personally don't think that, in some ways, Merida's that drastically different from the others. She just doesn't like fashion to be painful and doesn't have a prince. And hey! I can relate to that! :) Oh, and has a bow and arrow. Can't exactly relate to that yet...
My Fanart - My Graphics - My Non-Pixar Art
Pixar now and forever <3
ObsessedWithPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Location: I wish I knew. Russell lost my GPS in Paradise Falls

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 pm

OWP: Who was that artist and how did you know him/her? Just out of curiousity.

Leirin: Yeah, it's this whole "I'm so clean and pretty, look at me sparkle" thing that gets on my nerves. One of my friends didn't like Merida's design cos' she has, in his words, a football head. Of course, this pal of mine likes to watch anime, where there's rarely a bad-looking female character, which probably explains his opinion. :P

It's one reason why I love the Tomb Raider video game reboot so much, because Lara doesn't dress in a skimpy tank top and shorts (okay she still wears the tank top) and leaps from motorcycles onto dinosaurs. The Lara in the reboot makes mistakes, gets battered and bruised, and falls into all sorts of horrid and disgusting things from great heights.

I'm sure fans of Glee and Smash think the same thing too of guys singing in soprano and dancing in leotards, instead of shooting bad guys and spitting wisecracks. I'm all for pandering to audiences every now and then, but it's fun to see a non-conformist character once in a while, and we need more of that.

IV: Ohmygoodness, can you believe Hasbro is actually gonna do Equestria Girls? I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I wish they had gone for a more grand adventure theme with them as humans instead of a mundane high-school setting. :roll: That is such an obvious choice! I wanna see Twilight as a scientist-ninja in Victorian times, not sweat over boys and her self-image!
thedriveintheatre

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 pm

I am certainly struggling to feel optimistic about EG. I'm definitely not excited.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby ObsessedWithPixar » Fri May 17, 2013 12:34 am

TDIT, I have no idea who the original artist was, I was just thinking about it since, as a Pixar fan artist, I've drawn about a zillion Meridas trying to get her to look right, but in my style. So the thing is, whoever drew that Merida is in someone's style. They weren't trying to make her look overly feminine I don't think, just in a particular style. I still can't really agree with some people's opinions on this whole mess, but you know, there are more productive things for me to do than to yell at Disney for "making Merida a cookie-cutter princess" (which, btw, was a prototype). And for the record, while I have no idea what it'll be like, Equestria Girls doesn't look all that bad to me. It's not what I would've done with the whole "humanizing" thing, but they look really cool in that style, soooo I'm not going to hate on them for it.
Again, what matters most is not whether a main female character is a princess or a football player or a pony or whatever, it's that she is strong, makes mistakes, but makes the right choices in the long run. And I think Merida takes home that prize for sure.
My Fanart - My Graphics - My Non-Pixar Art
Pixar now and forever <3
ObsessedWithPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Location: I wish I knew. Russell lost my GPS in Paradise Falls

Postby thedriveintheatre » Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm

IV: Well, look on the bright side - at least it stars Rob Schneider! ;)

OWP: Yeah, I read the Disney reaction (pulling the website banner) and their explanation (as you said, it was a prototype). The thing that confused me was the part where they said it was going to be a "limited-release design", but at least now it'll be a "no-release design". I also thought about it and realised the same thing as you did, that it was someone's take on it. I think Disney made the mistake of leaking it and people took that one image to mean it represented the entire vision of the company.

Regarding Equestria Girls, here's a copypasta from FB with some words from my last post repeated:

You know, I'm keeping an open mind regarding Equestria Girls, but the ONLY thing that disappoints me is the wasted potential.

I mean, we're talking a the first My Little Pony MOTION PICTURE in YEARS here. Never mind the whole humanised thing, I wish they had gone for a more grand-adventure theme instead of a mundane high-school setting.

I wanna see Twilight as a scientist-ninja who has to save the world in Victorian times, not sweat over boys and her self-image. Even the first My Little Pony movie had higher stakes than this.

I'm kinda getting used to the humanised idea (although I still think the design looks terrible). But it's the squandered potential that gets me. Hasbro could've done something along the lines of The Goonies or Hook (live-action), or Tangled or Princess And The Frog (animated), but they had to go with Glee and High School Musical.

Can't blame though, their main aim (like Pixar and Disney) is to make money to fund future projects, and high-school settings seem to be what kids are into nowadays.

Again, what matters most is not whether a main female character is a princess or a football player or a pony or whatever, it's that she is strong, makes mistakes, but makes the right choices in the long run. And I think Merida takes home that prize for sure.

Well said!
thedriveintheatre

Postby lennonluvr9 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:41 pm

In regards to Disney's response, they do point out a reason why I wasnt 'outraged'. I do understand why Brenda was upset, cuz I probably would be too, but I figured this would just be an image used on packaging or whatever.

On a related note, one thing I really dont understand about the Princesses is why Mulan is included. She married a soldier, not a member of royalty. In my mind, she's still a commoner, no matter how important Shang might be.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Of course you're completely right about that, but I can tell you the real reason they include Mulan: misplaced political correctness. They needed an Asian princess, so they had to include her.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Spirit is right. As opposed to making a whole movie about a princess from Eastern Asia, they include Mulan on the standing that Mulan has the heart of a princess. If you ask Mulan in the parks how she's a princess, she tells you that tghe medal the emperor gave her a royal status as part of the royal family. Personally it doesn't bother me, as I don't see how they're harming anyone. And besides I really like Mulan much more than some actual Princesses like Tiana and Cinderella.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby maxxie03 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't like the new looks, so i also don't like Merida's look... I would like it much better without the glitters and with her bow and arrows.
maxxie03
Ant

PreviousNext

Return to Brave