Pixar Planet

Brave Switches Directors

Talk about Pixar's movie Brave here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby thedriveintheatre » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 am

The rest of me is... Irish...

Last name's dead giveaway!

if we want to talk about race and stuff lets go to the thread about race we dont wanna get this one closed

It's okay to talk about race so long as one doesn't get racist. :)

But yes, I think we should move back on-topic. Sorry for the deviation. :)
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Danachii » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:09 am

theoutsider1983 wrote:Brenda is in a dispute with Pixar over her contract?

http://pixarblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/c ... pixar.html

I didn't know they did contracts.

What? But I thought she was still working at Pixar. :S Now I'm confused.
Not active here anymore.
Danachii
Garbage Boy

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 am

That makes me very sad. :(
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Danachii » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:51 am

I just really want to know if she actually left or not. At this point I'm starting to get really annoyed at the lack of information we have regarding this subject, not to mention Brave has been the only Pixar film that I've been looking forward to since the first day that it was announced. It's already disappointing enough that Chapman won't be directing anymore, but the fact that we've heared absolutely NOTHING regarding her status at Pixar is frustrating to me even more. :\
Not active here anymore.
Danachii
Garbage Boy

Postby khstar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Yes i agree. I mean i wish they would just tell us Something about it! I mean we're just going to asume its something big and bad till they do. -3- I just want to know the whole situation that went down. I don't hate Pixar for doing away with her but i would like to know why the disition was made or if it was her choice to leave or SOMETHING :shake:
Image Image
khstar
Mutant Toy

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:03 pm

[quote="khstar"]Yes i agree. I mean i wish they would just tell us Something about it! I mean we're just going to asume its something big and bad till they do. [quote]

It would be great for them to tell us, but I get this bad feeling that we'll never ever know.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby E.S. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Most likely she is leaving, and they are just negotiating the terms. She'll probably sign a non-disclosure agreement (meaning she will never ever talk publicly about what happened, so we will never know how she got booted officially), and she'll get paid lots of money, then she'll move on to another studio soon.
I think my posts will just look better if I put a signature in.
E.S.
Mutant Toy

Postby Nausicaa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 pm

If she is leaving Pixar, does anyone think she'll go back to DreamWorks? It was where she directed her first film (and if she's leaving Pixar I doubt she'd return to Disney).
Nausicaa
Garbage Boy

Postby woody » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 am

darn, I was so disappointed when she was removed as director, but her still working at the studio softened the blow. There goes my dream of Brenda directing her own fairytale...
woody
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Now I feel really cruddy inside. :(

(I love woody's avatar!! Jasmine's awesome)
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Danachii » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 am

E.S. wrote:Most likely she is leaving, and they are just negotiating the terms. She'll probably sign a non-disclosure agreement (meaning she will never ever talk publicly about what happened, so we will never know how she got booted officially), and she'll get paid lots of money, then she'll move on to another studio soon.

Well that just blows. :( It completely shattered my idealistic image of Pixar too (which might actually be a good thing though).

I have mixed feelings about this right now. I don't know whether to be excited for the movie or be extremely disappointed that Chapman isn't at Pixar anymore.
Not active here anymore.
Danachii
Garbage Boy

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm

^I agree with that. I still love PIXAR, but after all the storyboarding she did on wonderful Disney films, and directing the Prince of Egypt at DW, this really hurts.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Re: Brave Switches Directors

Postby bryanbmp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:24 pm

it was a pitty that Brenda left the project, but I am so glad that a genious like Mark Andrews takes the lead of it,,,,,, if you look closely to the credits of the last pixar films, you will realize that Andrews has been involved as the story supervisor (Ratatouille) in some films, and he is also a writing John Carter with Andrew Stanton, he is the second unit director of that film
ZELDA Skyward Sword GOTY

I AM BACK!
BRAVE ... June 22, 2012
bryanbmp
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedreamofpixar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:36 am

Since Brenda Chapman would have been Pixar's first female director, much controversy came about when it was declared she would not direct "Brave" anymore, people claimed that Pixar was making decisions out of sexist thoughts. Of course I completely disagree, here is what I wrote in my blog: "This switch in directors that took place in mid-production caused much controversy against Pixar with claims of sexism. My opinion? Of course I do not know the reasons behind Pixar’s change in plans, but I do know one thing: Pixar is most certainly not sexist. Pixar has proven themselves to be wholesome, and respectful towards sexes and different races alike. Very few know what goes on inside the great minds of the big wigs in charge at Pixar who made this change, but the company, itself have proven themselves to not be sexist or racist."

wanna read the rest? go to: http://thedreamofpixar.wordpress.com/20 ... %E2%80%9D/
Wanna get pixar news first? Read my blog! :) http://thedreamofpixar.wordpress.com
thedreamofpixar
Ant

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Lauren Faust’s (developer and creative director of My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic) recently wrote a deviantART journal entitled ‘Brenda Chapman, Brave and women in animation’, in which she expressed her disappointment upon hearing of Brenda Chapman’s departure from the director role of the upcoming Pixar film Brave. You can read my reply to her journal in the link below, but I just want to point out that in my comment, I mention that there are many possible reasons for Brenda's sudden departure. Sexism could be one of them. She could've honestly chosen to relinquish control of the project, or maybe she was under a 'gag order' from Pixar. We may never know. The biggest casualty though, is as another reader summed up:

KittMouri wrote:The worst is that this was her original idea and concept. How could they fire her from what is essentially her "brain child"? That, in itself, is a tragedy.

And in this respect, I wholeheartedly agree.

'Being Brave is not for girls' blog entry
Lauren Faust's dA journal entry
TDIT's posted response
LA Times’ ‘When the glass ceiling crashed on Brenda Chapman’ article
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Brave