Pixar Planet

First officially released Brave concept art

Talk about Pixar's movie Brave here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: First officially released Brave concept art

Postby RandiJ » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 am

rango was made for 7 year olds in mind. There's nothing "adult" about it--it's one of the most purile, juvenile and unimaginative cartoons ever made. And that owl movie was even worse than sucker punch or watchman (both awful things). Almost makes that childish pablum secret of nimh palatable. Almost.

and rango was ugly.

The Toy Story movies deal with abandonment, death, and much more mature, adult issues, and handle them in far more adult and imaginative ways. Actually, MOST of Pixar's films do this. Only Cars and maybe A Bug's Life were made more for kids in mind.
RandiJ

Postby Leirin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:05 am

...Rango was unimaginative? And completely non-adult? Can you expand on your point a little bit?
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby bryanbmp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:09 am

the horse from the new still looks huge, unproportional if we compare it to Merida's size, but I know it is just a concept art
ZELDA Skyward Sword GOTY

I AM BACK!
BRAVE ... June 22, 2012
bryanbmp
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 am

rango was made for 7 year olds in mind. There's nothing "adult" about it--it's one of the most purile, juvenile and unimaginative cartoons ever made. And that owl movie was even worse than sucker punch or watchman (both awful things). Almost makes that childish pablum secret of nimh palatable. Almost.

and rango was ugly.

Aside from the fact that your criticisms are from constructive, employ a lot of hyperbole ("most", "ever made", etc.) and have no explanation whatsoever (which scenes are juvenile, what exactly do you mean by worse, why do you say such and such is like pablum, etc.), I'm sure that you'd be surprising a lot of members here when you say things like Secret of the NIMH is "childish" or, that Rango is "purile". :-\

Care to elaborate?
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby RandiJ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 am

A snake with a gun on it's tail? A shallow plot and characters that makes saturday morning cartoons look deep? Bats with machine guns? A bird with an arrow through it's eye? Yeah--real mature. A world that never makes sense (real sized water bottles, but rodent sized cigarettes, guns, and glasses? )

No, it's a very childish, juvenile film all the way around.

rango is akin to elementary school boys picking boogers and wiping them on each other. Real "mature."

*Please no double posting* - TDIT
RandiJ

Postby tribefan695 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:40 am

RandiJ wrote:A snake with a gun on it's tail? A shallow plot and characters that makes saturday morning cartoons look deep? Bats with machine guns? A bird with an arrow through it's eye? Yeah--real mature. A world that never makes sense (real sized water bottles, but rodent sized cigarettes, guns, and glasses? )

No, it's a very childish, juvenile film all the way around.

It seems your idea of "juvenile" is what we consider "surreal"
tribefan695
Garbage Boy

Postby Leirin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:02 am

I don't see a single thing "juvenile" about any of the "points" you mentioned. It's a fantasy - does it even matter if the water bottles are large, or is snakes have guns on their tails? It didn't seem like it was being childish or thrown together. I felt a lot of imagination going on in the movie. How are the characters shallow? And I don't recall ever seeing a Saturday morning kid's cartoon this deep....I'm baffled.

But, alas, I think we're derailing the thread. If you want to talk about it more, it would probably be best to post it in the Rango thread on the Other Animation board.
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby bits&pieces » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:50 am

RandiJ wrote:rango is akin to elementary school boys picking boogers and wiping them on each other. Real "mature."

OH

I

SEE

soooooooo.

anyone care to get us back on topic? because after reading that, i've got nothing.
"There's no use trying," she said. "One cannot believe impossible things."
bits&pieces
Garbage Boy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 am

This is the first time I posted on this Brave thread, and for some reason someone is bashing Rango? Random.

Anyway, the concept art is beautiful, I can't wait to see some stills!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Bryko614 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 am

RandiJ wrote:A snake with a gun on it's tail? A shallow plot and characters that makes saturday morning cartoons look deep? Bats with machine guns? A bird with an arrow through it's eye? Yeah--real mature.

How is that immature? It's just funny.

I could do this for Toy Story too. A metrosexual doll? A dance sequence to Le Freak? A 30 minute Spanish Buzz segment? Yeah--real mature. So, you're not proving anything. And once again, TDIT was referring to art style in the first place, not the story itself.
Bryko614
Upcoming Pixar • Chief Writer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks for standing up for me, guys.

It appears this... fellow, has had a bad experience with Rango, Secret of the N.I.M.H. and several Zack Snyder movies. While it seems he's absolutely impressed with most of Pixar's films including Toy Story 3, I'm afraid I will not fan his indignation by posting my personal opinions or well-intentioned constructive criticisms. So to you, RandiJ, I apologise if I have offended you, and to that, I say:

Oh, and please no double-posting.

Aaanyway, I'm really looking forward to Brave. I'm pleased Brenda Chapman is getting a director's credit, the lady deserves it. I'm also interested to see what this Mark Andrews brings to the table, and if he is indeed a Scotsman (as I've read in one of the posts), that should make the direction all the more authentic!

Also, thanks for posting the image, Spirit of Adventure. I think Merida looks much better than the horse, TBH! :)
thedriveintheatre

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:39 pm

I adore the concept art for Brave, I really do. It's beautiful. Pixar has been disappointing me with all their sequels lately a bit but this makes up for it, really.
Badger
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 am

Pixar has been disappointing me with all their sequels lately a bit but this makes up for it, really.

AGREED. Though I'm still holding out for Cars 2 and Monsters University.
thedriveintheatre

Postby lennonluvr9 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:32 pm

The concept art does look cool. (although I too wonder how the topic of Rango came into play here) Still not sold on the name, but whatever. I especially liked the one with the castle.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Previous

Return to Brave