Spoilers read at your own risk!

I’m usually really quick at breaking down movie plots simply based on trailers and teasers movie companies share with the public. Sometimes while watching a movie like Toy Story 3 I was able to quickly discover that the Space Aliens will save the gang via a claw machine like scenario. This is what I think Brave will be all about. Let’s see if I’m right this time.

Merida and her mom are very close from the beginning of the movie but eventually that bond drifts away. Her mom becomes more controlling, Merida is a free spirit her mother doesn’t understand her. Merida is a prize for three suitors they are all unworthy of her. The final task is to kill a bear who lives in the mysterious forest (the bear is really a witch). Merida wants to kill the bear herself to show everyone that she is not a prize. Merida encounters the witch and she is very persuasive they make some sort of deal that turns Merida’s mom into a bear along with her 3 brother triplets. After discovering this Merida must now save her mother the bear from being killed by the 3 suitors and transform her mother and brothers back to their human form. On this quest Merida’s mother begins to understand Merida more because she is BRAVE, Merida begins to appreciate her mother whom she can no longer converse with (motherly advice).

What do you all think this movie will be about?

Your guesses are correct. The transformation occurs after Merida’s mom and brothers eat a cake with apparently special properties. Along the way, the family tapestry gets ripped, and Merida repairs it which undoes the curse. But you see this all in the storyboards…

It kinda reminds me of Brother Bear :confused:

i dont think that is fully it.

Heres my take:

Merida is close with her mom in the beginning. Yes as they get older they have fights/conflicts. And the big one is her mom getting her married which Merida doesnt want because its not fair. After Merida shoots her arrows in a contest (“the prize” clip) this is when things really heat up between her and her mom. They have a huge fight; Merida rips the huge tapestry and Elinor throws her arrows into the fire. Words are said; basically things they’ll regret saying.

Merida rides far away into the forest upset. There she meets the willow the wisps, which lead her to a witch. Merida wants a spell that changes her fate because she doesnt wanna get married. In order for the witch to make these spells the person must take a carved wood thats she makes. Its the witch’s passion. So Merida takes a carving of a bear not thinking…

After the encounter she heads back home.

During that night her mom and brothers are changed into bears…

Merida sees that its her mom and her brothers and tries to hide them. the lords including fergus are shocked to see bears roaming in the castle. I’m assuming Merida explains what happened to them and her father. Anywyays, she realizes what shes done and tries to take them back to the witch to reverse the curse. But the witch cant help; in order to undo it she has to find Mordu and kill him. Why?
Because Mordu, the great big evil bear, used to be a man. He was a Prince who possibly went to the witch for help just like Merida. He is the one who started this whole curse. And to undo it he must be destroyed. (early In the film, Elinor explains a myth to merida abut a Prince who used magic to get what he wanted which cursed his kingdom eventually destroying everything. hence, “legends are lessons”.) She has until the second sunrise to hunt him down, or else Elinor and her brothers become bears for good like what happened to mordu. Not just being a bear but actually becoming one, etc. Anyways Elinor (bear) goes with Merida on this quest and yes she sees who Merida is and realizes “oh my godd…this is what im missing…”. And being a bear, she cant speak. So it probably makes it easier for Merida to talk to her and explain things. In a way, Elinor finally listens to merida. And in the end, all is well. Merida becomes closer with her mom and so does she. And she doesnt have to get married. And possibly, the three lords become closer with their sons through this whole thing.

That could be true.

If you are right I hope that the Prince subplot doesn’t take away from Merida’s relationship with her mother.

We really don’t need a topic for a spoiler. Next time you see one just put it in the main Brave topic or for whatever movie it’s for.

I disagree, there’s nothing wrong with creating a thread for spoilers this is a forum to converse is it not? I think this forum is fun because we have to be creative.

Yes, but it’s kinda a rule since we don’t want the forums all cramped. I suppoose 1 or 2 topics for a spoiler dosen’t matter but there’s no need for a ton when toy can just put it in the main topic. Just remember to put a spoiler on it. You should put a spoiler on this too. Just click edit and the spoiler button is on the end of the edit buttons.

Thanks for the advice but I don’t think having a separate post just for spoilers will hurt anyone. I think it’s fun, others I think will too.

…have you taken a look at these forums lately? they’re all cramped! and the whole point of having a topic like this, is to not put a spoiler on it…i dont think its a big deal. its not harming anyone. perhaps after when the film releases we could put it in the main brave discussion.

It’s just something the mods came up with. It’s better to listen to them. You can make a topic on Character’s if you want. Such as “Character Discussion"Merida”.