Pixar Planet

Inside Out Main Thread

Talk about Pixar's movie Inside Out here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Inside Out Main Thread

Postby The Star Swordsman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Inside Out was completely and most emotionally amazing! Without a doubt the movie of the summer. It was brilliant, it was funny, but most importantly, it was original.
Definitely a top-5 favorite of mine for sure. I don't think I laughed so hard at a Pixar film in a long time.
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby evspixarfan2012 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:07 pm

I literally found myself welling up with tears toward the ending of the movie when I got to see it last weekend.
evspixarfan2012
Master Scarer

Postby Kyr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:27 am

annarborjack wrote:EDIT: Also, I don't like how they didn't explain why they had to move. Something about investors was mentioned, but that's it.

You don't need to know, really. And the story is told from Riley's perspective, and it goes with the information she has. She doesn't know, often kids don't know the decisions.

="annarborjack"]And also, why not move back? Your freaking daughter tried to run away from home and broke down in tears because you moved away. Why not, oh jeez, I dunno, MOVE BACK? I'm sure they moved away for a reason, but the film does not really explain it. If they gave a good reason I could say, well, they can't move back cause of this, but they didn't.

I won't bother with the spoiler tag because it's really not much of a spoiler, and others have talked about the event in this thread without the tag.

But... seriously? I can't think of a family that would have just decided to move back. Because the daughter had a tantrum and considered running away from home? Daughter lives in the new place for a week, decides she likes her old home better so... give up the dreams of the business, move back, and for.. for what? So Riley could have every little thing she wanted to have before? I would have said no. I think most parents would too. She'll learn to live with it, that's what she'll do (And if scenes towards the end are to be believed, she did.). It's a part of growing up.

When I was 11, my mom and I moved out of the house I was born in to a house which was smaller and (to my 11 year old mind) not nearly as cool. Did I want to move back? Heck YES! Do I still dream about it? To this day. But it helped me grow up. Kids don't always get what they want. You learn to live.

Riley wasn't a druggie, she wanted to run away, but eventually didn't. She didn't drop out, she didn't get hurt. She was just sad to move. As one reviewer put it, this movie involves "low stakes," and it's the talent of the filmmakers to make it feel so eventful.
Kyr
Shark Bait

Postby Villainess » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:35 am

I'd like to add that their house is already sold, so even if they did move back it'd take a long time for them to get a different house and it wouldn't be the same.
Villainess
Garbage Boy

Postby Grifoshka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:18 pm

I saw Inside Out today, and I thought it was fantastic! I really loved the concept and all the clever ideas/visual gags that came with it - such as, ideas being actual lightbulbs that need to be installed on the console, dreams being filmed like movies, facts and opinions getting mixed up, old memories being erased by the same guys who make you spontaneously remember commercial jingles, and so on. I also liked that there was no neglectful parents-misunderstood kid conflict; I'm really tired of that and was afraid to see it once more, but the real conflict is within Riley and her parents are kind and understanding. The human characters and the emotions are all very likeable, and I can't think of any character that annoyed me. The soundtrack is also amazing. The main theme is calm and tender, I got Up vibes from it. And of course, Inside Out is very funny, I don't remember when I laughed so much on a Pixar film. 8D The funniest moment for me were Fear watching the dream and criticizing it, Riley's imaginary boyfriend, Disgust using Anger as a blowtorch, running gag with the commercial and the credits scene.
"Good work, men. Two blocks down and only nineteen more to go!"

Grifoshka
Garbage Boy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:40 pm

buckmana wrote:I am puzzled why this scene was not in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5rAqANyjis
I am assuming it was a deleted scene,

I doubt it. It's common for Disney to release little fun teasers like this to generate interest in the film and for people to know the characters.

annarborjack wrote:EDIT: Also, I don't like how they didn't explain why they had to move. Something about investors was mentioned, but that's it.

="annarborjack"]And also, why not move back? Your freaking daughter tried to run away from home and broke down in tears because you moved away. Why not, oh jeez, I dunno, MOVE BACK? I'm sure they moved away for a reason, but the film does not really explain it. If they gave a good reason I could say, well, they can't move back cause of this, but they didn't.

It was pretty clear. The father had a new job, and on second viewing you could tell from his shirt and language that he was starting a phone ap venture. Good film gives just as much information as your suppose to know, if it was all exposition it would drag the film down. All you needed to know is that the father's job moved him accross country and is making him busier than usual, adding conflict to Riley's life.

Also move back? Seriously?!? After spending all that movie to move out West, for the father's career? Half of my friends moved accross state or country because parents have job of family commitments. They're not going to just drop all that because their daughter is having a hard week adjusting. And after a span of the few days, she accepted it. Parents aren't suppose to obey every little whim of their children, what type of world would that be?
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Pixarfan91 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Has anyone found A113 or the Pizza Planet Truck yet? I read that A113 is written in the streets in Riley's neighborhood. The Pizza Planet truck is in three places, but it's really hard to find.

Here's a picture of A113.
Spoiler: show

Also made a review on Youtube. I give my opinion on Lava as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7eRXYfRaE
But what if Andy gets another dinosaur? A mean one? I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection. Im a OFFICIAL PIXARTEER Image Image
Pixarfan91
Super Hero

Postby Bandling45 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:24 am

I LOVED this movie, but I don't know if I can see it again. Soon that is.

Okay, first and foremost, I have to say: I absolutely cried like a baby. A baby that has just gone through what Riley did. So the film hit me in a really personal way. The designs of everything were just amazing; so creative, especially when they were in abstract thought trying to get to the Train the first time; their progression from their normal forms to just simplified shapes really showed off the whole shape thing Pete Docter likes to do (like he did in Up). Also, all of Bing Bong and his death.

Okay, first of all, there was a good reason. They even made it a point that Riley heard the reason. You can't really blame the parents for having to move. It was a money thing, not a "bad" reason. Second of all, you can't just up and move back after it has been sold. There's a lot of paperwork that goes into moving, not to mention a lot of money. Just a move two hours away can cost almost $5000. So no, just "MOVING BACK" isn't really an option. Sorry.

Anyway, great movie!
Let's Get Dangerous
Bandling45
Shark Bait

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:50 am

Why do I get the feeling that this film will make a new generation deathly afraid of clowns? 8D
Bill
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Carol » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:38 pm

I tap into his strengths (and shortcomings) here in this review of mine.

Docter makes the courageous decision to not notch up the “stakes.”
An advocate for good Fanfiction.

Written for MU/MI here: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1096271/Ava-Kane
Carol
Mutant Toy

Postby Leirin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:19 am

Adiko wrote:I believe, Pizza Planet truck was
Spoiler: show
on the new big island, which was created by Sadness afer their with Joy's return.

Sorry for my English, by the way.

Oh!! I think you are absolutely right, on recollection. :shock:

I wanted to say, since this is something I forgot to touch on in my post: I've seen people complaining about the emotional core of this movie with "Nothing that bad even happened!" or "Her life is so great, she just needs to buck up!". Let me defend it with this: if you remember at all what it's like being eleven (or just anywhere from the preadolescent-early adolescent age), you know how irrational and intense your emotions could be. When I had to move from my childhood home several years back, I was close to Riley's age, and it unleashed an onslaught of emotions I didn't even think I had. Was it an overreaction? Yes. Did nothing that "bad" even really happen? Yes. But the point of the movie is not that it is about a girl who has something traumatic happen to her and we explore the inner realm of her mind while it happens; it's that it's about a day in the life of the inner workings of a human mind. If the conflict were too terrible it would lose its relatability, and its connection with much younger kids.

That being said, I think certain parts of this movie could have been paced a little better, with more attention given to certain plot points and certain characters needing better development (I love Disgust, but I agree with another poster that she didn't majorly move the plot like any of the other emotions). But I still adore the film and can't wait for a rewatch. :D
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby miafka » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:15 am

Leirin wrote:I've seen people complaining about the emotional core of this movie with "Nothing that bad even happened!" or "Her life is so great, she just needs to buck up!". Let me defend it with this: if you remember at all what it's like being eleven (or just anywhere from the preadolescent-early adolescent age), you know how irrational and intense your emotions could be. When I had to move from my childhood home several years back, I was close to Riley's age, and it unleashed an onslaught of emotions I didn't even think I had. Was it an overreaction? Yes. Did nothing that "bad" even really happen? Yes. But the point of the movie is not that it is about a girl who has something traumatic happen to her and we explore the inner realm of her mind while it happens; it's that it's about a day in the life of the inner workings of a human mind. If the conflict were too terrible it would lose its relatability, and its connection with much younger kids.

Absolutely. If it was about a child growing up under extreme or severe circumstances where emotions would be heightened (for instance: abuse, war, poverty) it would never have connected in the same way, because most people here don't have any frame of reference what it's like to grow up in a poor country experiencing civil war. Instead the movie chose to look at how all of us, even living "normal" lives here, can be affected emotionally. Think about how even (what may seem like to others) the smallest thing can cause an emotional reaction in us sometimes, even though we don't always want to admit it. And Leirin's right: make no mistake, to an 11yr-old, leaving the home where you grew up, where you feel comfortable and safe, and having to start from scratch and establish yourself in a brand new setting that's strange, and where you know no one, can be a very trying time.

There's lots of ways a movie based on a premise like this could have gone (for instance, personally I would have loved to see "Music Island" not cut) but you can only tackle so much before you overload the story. I thought it hit the balance just right, and I'm going to go watch it again as soon as I have the time.
miafka
Garbage Boy

Postby Leirin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:44 am

I actually didn't know anything about a Music Island! But yes; I think the movie was expertly creative without being overwhelming or an information dump, and that's something I really appreciate. I'll probably like it even more on rewatch.
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby Bandling45 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm

A music island would have been so cool! I hope they show all the different islands she could have had in the art book. I wonder what instrument she would have played. 8)
Let's Get Dangerous
Bandling45
Shark Bait

Postby Villainess » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:11 pm

I haven't read about a music island, I read there was something else, I think it was "Music Cognition", and it was scrapped for being too similar to Abstract Thought, I think.
Villainess
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Inside Out