Uniracers

Moderators, I was unsure where this topic should go. Feel free to move it if another board would be better.
-TheSpaceSheriff

For reference, I’m linking some articles on the matter:
[url]June | 2011 | Ars Technica
[url]http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/unirally/unirally.htm[/url]

Back in 1994, DMA Design (who now are a part of Rockstar North) created Uniracers. The game was released on the Super Nintendo and the point was to be a racing game with skateboarding elements: flips, spins, etc. Here’s a sample of how the game works: [url]- YouTube

It’s relation to Pixar, however, is an ugly one. DMA Design was sued by Pixar for the unicycle’s design in Uniracers bearing an similar resemblance to Red from Red’s Dream. Inevitably, Pixar won the lawsuit and Nintendo was forced to cease further production of the game. Prior to the suit, close to 300,000 units were sold. Since then, the game has not had another release and remains to be one of the more underrated titles on the Super Nintendo.

Personally, I find that this was unecessary on Pixar’s part. While I can understand that the similarities in the design, the concept of the game itself was far different from Red’s Dream. The racers designed the racers off of real unicycles; I would like to assume the same for Red. While this revelation doesn’t shake my original thoughts about Pixar, I still feel that the lawsuit hurt a potential game that could have evolved the racing genre.

Thoughts?

Yeah, it seems kind of silly to sue over someone else’s realistic unicycle looking like your realistic unicycle.

What’d it even hurt? Granted, it was 1994, so this wasn’t mega strong well known Pixar, but still, it’s not like they ever did anything with Red.

Ugh! I hate that article! Whoever wrote that obvioulsy has no respect for Pixar. :angry:

The “disrespect” was more for the unnecessary lawsuit from Pixar. Not directly towards the company itself.