Pixar Internship Questions

So… I’m a senior in college, at OU, graduating in May with an English writing degree. I have been looking at the Pixar internship/residency for some time now, thinking it might be possible, but with hesitation because I have zero experience in film, other than being an audience member (don’t think that carries any weight). Here is where my concern is, the demo reel. Two positions I’m interested in applying, production manager or story. When it comes to writing I have experience, none in a professional sense at all, but classroom wise and personal writing wise. I’m mostly a poet, with some prose. When I see that demo reel spot, all I wonder is how necessary is it for both positions because from what I saw with skill requirements I’d be much better and more qualified for production manager over story. I have no experience with storyboards, despite simply knowing what they are, which isn’t experience anyways.

My questions:
How essential is the demo reel for production manager/story internship respectively?

What factor does a letter of recommendation play, if any? Do they even read them if they are attached?

I’ve looked at some of the responses for other topics similar to this, and you guys know your stuff and, well, you’ve been interns, so you have the inside track.

^OU? As in, Ohio University? Just asking… (Sorry for going off-topic here.)

University of Oklahoma

Oh. I see. (Whoops! 8D )

For the story internship, the expect you to be able to draw. Not necessarily super well in the traditional, academic sense, but you need to be able to communicate visual ideas very quickly and very clearly. The work of a story intern consists mostly of drawing storyboards, not writing.

For production manager, they’re looking for someone who has lead groups on creative projects. Most frequently, that means film projects, but they might be willing to consider someone who lead a game, or literary journal, or something along those lines.