Internship/ Staffing & Recruiting Question

Hello everyone,

I have come across this forum a few times in my research about the recent slew of internships on the site. I’m going for the art internship/ recent grad position and I’m just at the end of getting everything together to ship.

I’m finishing up my cover letter and I was wondering if anyone knew the staffing or hiring director that I should address the letter to. I have come across a few names from linkedin, but I don’t have a business account to see any contact information. I could just put a general address on the letter if I can’t find anyone, but hey, no harm in asking right? :wink:

Any help regarding other internship information is more than welcome!

Welcome to the forum, jmckiernan!

Here is the address that is provided in the art internship listing so it doesn’t state a specific person. As far as your cover letter, you could always put ‘To Whom It May Concern’. That’s what I did when I sent one out for Pixar’s summer program. :slight_smile:

Pixar Animation Studios
Attn: Art Internship
1200 Park Avenue
Emeryville, CA 94608

Best of luck with your application!

When I wrote my cover letter, I got a bit bold and decided to write “To the folks at Pixar.” The internship coordinator at my school didn’t appreciate it, but I didn’t want my letter to sound static either.
So I guess we’ll see if I get a note on “professionalism.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys
I figured I would most likely use the ol’ “who it may concern” if I couldn’t get a name. I’m sure they’re easy going about this sort of thing. My god I’ve been overanalyzing this whole application and portfolio process. I can’t wait to have it all shipped out so I can sleep again. :laughing:

I know what you mean about overanalyzing! Did the same thing. It is a bit of a relief once it is sent out. Then comes the waiting! Again, best of luck to you!

It’s understanable to overanaylze. It’s a pretty important thing. I think the Pixar people would care more about your art than a small slip-up in the format though.

If you don’t mind my asking, and Hannahmation this question is for you as well, what kind of pieces did you send in for your portfolio?

If I might take the opportunity to answer as well:

I also applied for the summer Technical Undergrad Program and what I submitted was all my creative pieces (photography mostly, because I’m interested in lighting/camera layout) but some traditional media (watercolors, mixed media) to show that I definitely have the creativity, I just need the technical skills.

I also took it upon myself to apply for the lighting internship and again, I submitted a lot of my photography (I’m a photo major) to show that I understand light and how to manipulate it.

:slight_smile:

Like lameurysm, I showcased both my technical and creative skills. I included photos, drawings, and sculptures to show a variety of pieces. I also created a demo reel that included some animations and a few small models and shading assignments I had done.

I basically picked out my best pieces from various mediums and disciplines. Variety is always good… unless you are applying for a more specific internship/job. Then you’d want to taylor your portfolio so it showcases those skills which are needed.

Btw, welcome to the forums, lameurysm! Please introduce yourself to the rest of the forum members in the Hi, My Name Is… thread :smiley: pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=564

Yeah, I’m sure in the end they appreciate a professional presentation, but will care more about the quality of the art. I’m purposely sending all my stuff out before I really need to just so I won’t over do anything more.

I’m sending in a few finished illustrations, some sculpture maquettes,character designs with expression sheets, and a few layouts and characterized life drawings. I’m sending a DVD of my animations as well even though I am going for the art position. I’m so close to being able to send it now…it’s just a little more work for tomorrow and then off to the printers on Wednesday! :smiley:

Best of luck to the other applicants as well! If all goes well we may be working with each other in the future. :wink:

Thanks everyone! I definitley have a better idea of what to put in my portfolio when I apply for the story internship next year. Good luck to lameurysm, Hannahmation, jmckiernan, and any one else who is applying. Hope you guys get it!