Pixar Studio Auteur?

Hi, I’m doing a Film Studies project on Pixar as part of my coursework, I’d be grateful if anyone could answer a few questions for me. My focus is on WALL-E, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo in particular.

First of all, do you think that Pixar is an auteur? That is, that the studio has a distinct style of filmmaking that is different from any other studio or filmmaker.

And second, do you think that the use of Hero’s Journey is intentionally used in Pixar films?

I’m aware some of you might not know what Hero’s Journey is so I’ve got a link to some information for you.

mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/j … mmary.html

Thank you for your time.

Hmm, interesting questions, LittleMissDisappear. To the first one, I think to an certain extent it has to be a yes. Pixar films in themselves are very different to other films made by similar companies, such as DreamWorks, Blue Sky, etc., and for the films to be different, the process in which they’re made has to be different somewhat. They might use the same sort of technology and similar animation, but I think it’s in the focus of storytelling and creativity that makes them stand out. Of course, the other studios have to go through a similar process, but at Pixar there’s no rushing, they really take their time to develop the story and research it, and they’re happy to change things at the last minute if it will benefit the film as a whole. So although the differences may not be massive or immediately noticeable, I think there’s enough differences in their approach to creating films to call Pixar an auteur.

As for the second question, I’d heard of Hero’s Journey before on another board I think, and it does seem that a fair few of Pixar’s films fit into those steps. The steps are pretty detailed though, and I don’t think every single one of Pixar’s films neatly fit into each of those steps, and in the same way I’m not sure if it’s an intentional thing or not. I’d say it probably isn’t, as Pixar themselves would’ve mentioned it by now, and also each Pixar film is created by different individuals so for them all to follow the same steps unintentially would be a bit of a coincidence. So, in short, though some of Pixar’s films might follow some of Hero’s Journey steps, I don’t think it’s an intentional thing. If I had more time, I’d be tempted to try and follow these steps exactly with each of Pixar’s films and see what happens.

Welcome to the boards, LittleMissDisappear, and good luck with your Film Studies project!

Thank you for your answers, much appreciated :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it was a conscious choice to use Hero’s Journey every time it shows up, but I think it was more of a conscious choice in A Bug’s Life since that movie was modeled after The Seven Samurai.

Hi
Ive recently come across your post from 2009. I realize this was a long time ago and you now might not be interested in Disney Pixar as it was for your film course.
However i am too doing A-Level (English exam) film course and have chosen Disney Pixar for the theme.
I have to gather information to see if the Pixar institution uses auteur styles
The films I have chosen are; Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc and Toy Story 3
would love some help :stuck_out_tongue: