OMG...Pixar is my life, but what about school?

Hey everyone!

My first post! YAY!
Anyways, back to the topic. So, like many of you, I am obsessed with Pixar. I went to Disney World a couple months ago and spent a couple hundred bucks on Pixar stuff alone…not to mention that huge 6 x 4 foot poster of Toy Story 3 hanging on my wall. Anyways I had a quick question. If I am planning on working with Pixar some day, what school would be best? I live in Canada, and I am thinking about going to UCLA to study an undergraduate in Film, Television and Digital Media, and then study a graduate in Animation. Would that look good towards Pixar? Any other ideas? Thanks!

whilst a good education will be helpful pixar are really only going to be looking for one thing, and thats how good your demo reel is. If you want to be an animator then learn to animate, a course in animation is a good start but don’t stop there.

Animate with every free second you have, learn the 12 principle and how to apply them, and slowly build up a killer reel.

Oh and never give up, thats probably the most important bit :smiley: . Hope this helps

fist off, welcome to the boards FuturePA! :smiley:

Now if your wanting to go to UCLA for film school, I know that there are a few other really good film schools in the same area. Like USC, or Chapman University, which is where I plan on going in a few years. Those schools are said to have a film school that’s about at the same level as UCLA. I don’t really know about their animation program though.

Hope that helps a bit. The whole LA area has a bunch of film schools.

If you are interested in character animation and working from home, there is “Animation Mentor Online Animation School” it’s an 18 month program specializing in character animation, and I have heard nothing but good things from it and many of its alumni find careers in various animated film and gaming studios.
The mentors who help you are in the industry, and was started off by Pixar animators. They work closely with you to not only get a degree in character animation, but also help you get started on your portfolio.

animationmentor.com/

Animation Mentor seems like a really great program! I’m looking to study history and theater in college, and then becoming a hsitory teacher. I am not talented enough to get into art school, and I don’t want to go all the way across the country for a good film school in the LA area (though I was very interested in Chapman for a while). After teaching history for a couple years, I hope to become a student at Animation Mentor, practice all the time, and get into Pixar!

Yeah, If I were going to study animation after high school, I personally would go to animation mentor.

Hello fellow Canadian,
I know Pixar loves VFS students, they are the main reason they opened a studio in Vancouver but it is quite expensive. Sheridan is also a good option.
I have studied at NAD center but that is a french school is Quebec =)

OK, I would like to put some honest opinion here :slight_smile: just don’t get mad :astonished:)

I have been in the art development for long time, and I have seen so many people who call themselves “artist” after they finish any great or poor art schools. Lets say, If you haven’t been born with great art talent, you have a little chances to be a good artist. School will tell you how, but If you cant do it … you better find a different job.
If you don’t draw since you were at least 10, and keep practicing and pushing yourself ,there is little chance you will success. What I wanna say its that If your brain feel like wants to draw and be creative, then you will be cool artist, but because you want to do that just because you like it, that’s not enough.
Most of the schools in the US (85%) is just about money! Many many teachers let you pass your test just because you paid! I have seen so many bad bad artwork from people who has got BA or Master degrees. This is the most saddest thing about schools in a America! We want your money, we will try to help you, and even you are crap artist, you will pass. Believe or not, this is happening!
Sometimes, I am laughing when I look at some cg companies career, how high degree you have to have to get a job. Believe me, its not about your school, but its about what you can show! Schools in your resume is just about to let HR people know, that you have got some education, that you aren’t stupid and you are able to educate yourself, but what you can show is the most important.