Pixar Planet

NEW! 'Circus Afro' - The Art of TDIT

Share your fan art from your favorite Pixar films and shorts here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby woody » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:34 pm

I must say, you are truly a man of many talents :wink:
woody
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:43 pm

thedriveintheatre wrote:Well, yeah, you're entitled to criticise, and though I may not agree with you, I still appreciate your comments! Now that you mentioned it, the right forearm (the bit of limb between the elbow and the wrist) looks shorter than my left. You know what, I think that one needs fixing. Yeah, yeah. Thanks for that! :D

Heh. No worries. Seriously, I think it's just me. Besides, I'm no professional, so I can't fairly judge. But, yeah, the limb between the elbow and the wrist is the short section of the arm that I was talking about. My apologies for not specifying it.

In any case, keep up the great work! ;)

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 am

Maybe you could do a montage of the feature films hand-drawn?

Maybe, WillZMarler. I'll see how it goes, thanks for the suggestion!

you should try to keep the back ground sweet but simple.

Good piece of advice, Violet Parr! I thought it was a little cluttered.

and the jumper from TI (maybe)

That's John McClane from Die Hard. He's jumping off Nakatomi Plaza with only a firehose as a bungee cord. ;)

(And Speed was just a freaking awesome movie!)

Totally. :mrgreen:

I am very impressed Andre. You not only got some directing and photoshopping skills, but you got some artistic abilty in you too huh?

Well, I used to. Now I'm a little rusty, but I'm sure works better than a little practice! Thanks for the compliment!

I must say, you are truly a man of many talents

Why, thank you, woody.

Besides, I'm no professional, so I can't fairly judge.

Oh, but you're a fellow artistic peer, Mitch. And to me that's just as valuable as a professional's. Besides, I appreciate constructive criticisms more than compliments, so thanks for pointing out my flaws.

I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the Off-Topic Fanworks section, but since it has an element of Wall-E in it (don't ask me, he 'wandered' into my piece! :P), I'll just post it here.

Well, I made this back in May, and having watched both Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Terminator Salvation, I can safely say they're both awesome! Slightly disappointing in comparison to their predecessors, but they stand on their own merits.

This is a mash-up pic if a battle ever took place between these two titanic summer blockbusters with a cameo of a pair from another robot movie caught in the middle. I would SO pay to watch such a crossover film if it was ever made!

Anyway, the sketch and inking was done traditionally. I was too scared to mess this up with traditional colouring and too lazy to do it digitally, so I'm leaving it as is, pencil guidelines included. I know, I suck at drawing the feet, ugh!

Compliments and constructive criticisms much appreciated!

War of the Machines
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby lizardgirl » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 pm

That's such a cool concept, thedriveintheatre, and you've executed it really well! There's so much detail in that picture, especially with the designs of the machines, and I think this would look absolutely awesome in colour. And I love how you've managed to insert WALL-E and EVE in there too. :lol:
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby Sky » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:36 am

Love in the midst of violence. :loves: What an interesting concept. The only constructive criticism I can see is that the two larger robots are leaning to the right a bit. I would really love to see this again if you chose to digitally colour it in and repost it here, especially since your shading is quite good, judging by the first piece you posted here. ;) Your WALL-E and EVE are too cute!
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby The Star Swordsman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:38 am

Ooh, that looks violent. Really nice. It looks like something I would see in an action movie. Keep it up.
The Star Swordsman

nicely done

Postby mo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 am

I like your latest peice TDIT! It's a nice mash-up.
I don't like giving criticism, but the human looks to me like he's about to run into the car. Other than that i think it's great. I can't wait to see more. :D
Tumblr is where I spend most of my online time these days
mo
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Hannahmation » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 pm

I like your line art. You included a lot of nice detail. The mash up concept is really great too. The addition of Wall E and Eve is a neat touch; juxtaposes nicely with the violence surrounding them.
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby thedriveintheatre » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks for the comments, lizardgirl! Yeah, it was fun drawing the bits of machinery, but I'll admit, Optimus' head was strangely the hardest to draw. In the end, I had to refer to an online video of someone sketching it to see how it could be done, heheh. I'm not sure I want to continue this in colour, but who knows, maybe I'll dust this off a few months down the road and finish it off. ;)

Thanks Rachel, I like your tagline! Yeah, I guess I coulda tried contrasting Optimus and The Fallen's stance, I was trying to depict Optimus swinging a punch at The Fallen and the latter's reaction to the blow, but it came off a bit 'stiff'. Guess I shoulda referred to boxing pics or somethin'. Thanks for the compliment on Wall-E and Eve, it's my first attempt to draw them in detail! :)

Thank you, TSS. Yeah, I'm an adrenaline junkie, Action's my middle name (actually, it's not, but you get the idea, I love action movies). :D

Thanks, mo. Don't be afraid to give criticisms, I appreciate them more than compliments, really. Yes, I guess you can say John Connor should look where he's running. :lol: Thanks for the critique, I'll plan my layouts more properly in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, Hannahmation! I got the idea of doing a mash-up of the two biggest movies of the summer which coincidentally starred robots as the main characters, then I thought, why not throw Wall-E and Eve into the thick of it? Interestingly, Eve protects Wall-E most of the time instead of the other way round, so I drew her embracing him in an attempt to 'shield' him. :) "Jucks-tah-poh-see-shun." Ooh, I love the sound of that word.
thedriveintheatre

Postby Gemini » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Your drawings are not bad, though the first one didn't appeal to me much (Welcome to My World), but that's because I'm not a big fan of 'colored' drawings. I read in your dA site that you used some kind of program called the Wacom? It must have taken longer than a drawing colored with color pencils, of course, but that's just how I feel about this type of drawings 'coz they tend to ruin that whole professional look; hope you don't mind. :)

Your second drawing, however (War of the Machines) looks great. Now that has a professional look. If you color it using paint (the real paint, not the program) or Photoshop, I'm sure that feel would be kept and, even better, enhanced. Keep it up, thedriveintheater!
"Justice requires courage."
Gemini
Shark Bait

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Ah, a Luddite you are, eh, Gemini? ;) Hehe, just kidding. Wacom is a pen tablet, which is a computer peripheral, not a program. I used Photoshop. You're right though, it took a heck of a lot longer than traditional because I was not used to painting with the stylus (sometimes my tablet won't read my strokes, so I have to paint again, and you don't get as much control with pressure).
I'm glad you liked my second. I don't think I'll colour it anytime soon, but maybe I'll dust it off in the far future and knuckle down to breathe new 'life' into it. Thanks for the comments!

No animal in the entire universe can resist chocolate... except Remy. ;)

I was thinking of what to draw for fellow Pixar Planet member Mitch's birthday when it hit me... what if two of her most favourite Pixar characters were to meet? After an afternoon and evening of drawing and colouring, this is the result.

Man, my traditional skills are rusty! I haven't touched a box of colour pencils since Secondary 2 (Grade 8!). This also marks my first attempt at drawing Russell and Remy.

Anyway, happy birthday, Mitch! May your hopes and dreams come true. :)

dA Deviation Link
thedriveintheatre

Postby ffdude1906 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Excellent job TDIT! Russell's eyes look a bit strange and he's not as rotund, but besides that, he looks really impressive! I really love how bright his badges are. As for remy, he looks a bit generic and his ears are a bit big, but he looks pretty good! I'm sure Mitch will love it! I didn't realize you were so good at drawing! ;)
Image Up Count: T:50 - D+BD:17
ffdude1906
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby bright dot-dasher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Man, Mitch is going to be so happy to see all this artwork from fellow members wishing her a happy birthday! :D

Anyway, I think that's a quite creative little crossover. You've drawn them quite neatly (though the coloring could be a bit smoother). I like how Remy's expression is. I think Russell needs to be a little rounder, though. Still, it looks remarkable! I like how you described it, too: No animal in the entire universe can resist chocolate...except Remy. Brilliant job! :D
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks for the constructive criticism, ffdude906! I must admit, drawing eyes is not my forte (I draw them in the 'dot-style' Horrible Histories' illustrator Martin Brown), and I must work on that. My trouble is with the irises, especially. :-( I also had difficulties getting Russell to look 'chubby' (my first draft actually depicted him as a thin adult, which was quite creepy :lol:). I'm not quite sure how to get Remy to look 'distinct', if that's what you meant. I guess I could shrink those ears a little... thanks for pointing out my flaws, though! :D

The same goes for you, BDD! The colouring roughness can be attributed to either my scanner or my colour-correction in Photoshop (since the original scan looked too pale). If I showed you the artwork in real-life, it's actually quite smooth. I'm good at 'unamused' expressions, but I think I need to widen my repertoire (I may try a character expression sheet down the road). Yes, I agree Russell needs to be fatter (or 'big-boned', as they say, heheh. :)). Thank you for the bouquets and brickbats!

Anyone else care to comment? I prefer criticisms to compliments, though I don't mind more praises! ;)
thedriveintheatre

Postby lizardgirl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Two of Mitch's favourite characters- a perfect birthday present! I agree with the other criticisms, but I like how you've interpreted both Russell and Remy in your own style and how you've included a lot of detail, like with Russell's badges. Remy could be a little blue-er, but aside from that the colouring is really good too, not too bright but enough to make the piece stand out. Great work! :D
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art