Pixar Planet

Are you an animal lover?

Introduce yourself and get to know the members of Pixar Planet!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby K9Girl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:34 pm

I like most animals, but there are some I really don't care for.
K9Girl
Master Scarer

Location: Warning my friends about the free pistachio ice cream

Postby SgtYayap » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:51 pm

I fear I may become an outcast when I say not only that I like snakes, but also that I support keeping them responsibly as pets.
SgtYayap
Garbage Boy

Postby rock-itpop » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:34 pm

I like snakes too!
Too bad my parents don't. :(

I don't work at being ordinary.
rock-itpop
Toy Collector

Postby SgtYayap » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Yeah, too many parents are like that, unfortunately. :( I guess I got lucky with my mother; the only issue she has would be that I would have to feed one rodents.
SgtYayap
Garbage Boy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 pm

SgtYayap wrote:I fear I may become an outcast when I say not only that I like snakes, but also that I support keeping them responsibly as pets.

Ah man, I think snakes are awesome! I really want a snake, but my dad would sooner have me get a tattoo than get a pet snake! (and he does not like tattoos!)

Once I get a home of my own I'll have a little snakey! Once I remember seeing the biggest and fattest King Snake in my back yard! Only I was 5 so I was terrifyed, but if I was it now I'd be like COOL!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby rock-itpop » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 am

One of my friends used to have a corn snake, and man, was I jealous.

And then this one time when I was around 7 or 8, my sister and I caught a garter snake, & when we showed it to my mom, she almost fainted. :lol:

rock-itpop
Toy Collector

Postby MBproductions13 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:06 am

I adore animalz! :lol:
MBproductions13
Toy Collector

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:53 am

I'm surprised by the number of snake fans here. I really think they're misunderstood creatures, the vast majority of them are non-venomous and non-aggressive and will only attack in self-defence. I'd love to have one as a pet (through legal capture), I think I'd call it 'Fluffy'. Google 'snake names', some of the suggestions are pretty interesting.

I'm not sure, though, whether I'd have the guts to feed it dead mice. I've been reading up on herpetology (reptile study) materials lately and it's absolutely fascinating.

Coincidentally, my zodiac sign is the snake. :)

The other exotic pet I was considering is a parrot or a macaw. My mum was averse to the idea because she still thinks of bird flu as a huge problem and says the poop is disgusting (Come on... all animals poo. Dogs, cats, humans, even snakes. Come ooonnn... :roll:).
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby SgtYayap » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Yeah, if I get a snake, I'm thinking of naming them "Socrates" or something like that. Greeks DID revere snakes as being wise, after all. :D
SgtYayap
Garbage Boy

Postby Daughter of Eve » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 am

Snakes never really creeped me out, but I don't think I'd want one as a pet. :lol: I would much prefer a rat or a guinea pig.

But I adore cats. I really do. I think cats have like, a "cat-person radar" that detects whether or not someone likes cats... because pretty much every cat I have encountered (as in someone's pet cat) have always warmed up to me fairly quick. Dogs, on the other hand, I have a hard time with. I don't really know why. :? And I think they know that as well.
"Critical thinking is the key to success." ~ Professor Hershel Layton
Daughter of Eve
Toy Collector

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 am

I'm thinking of naming them "Socrates" or something like that. Greeks DID revere snakes as being wise, after all.

That's a cool name! I didn't know the Greeks respected snakes, I wonder if it has something to do with the traditional medical symbol of two snakes and an ankh?

I would much prefer a rat or a guinea pig.

I had a friend who owned chinchillas once! :)
thedriveintheatre

Postby SgtYayap » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 am

thedriveintheatre wrote:
I'm thinking of naming them "Socrates" or something like that. Greeks DID revere snakes as being wise, after all.

That's a cool name! I didn't know the Greeks respected snakes, I wonder if it has something to do with the traditional medical symbol of two snakes and an ankh?

Actually, that DID originate from the Greeks; it's called the Caduceus, and was wielded by Mercury.

It's typically confused with another similar object, which DID symbolize medicine.
SgtYayap
Garbage Boy

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:19 am

Oh, I adore snakes! I think they're cute. Yeah, even the monstrous 10-meter-long ones. They have cute faces. And the way they smell with their tongues and can move without legs is fascinating.

I'm really annoyed when people kill them just because they're snakes. Ugh. I've seen so many people talk about that and they get praise too! Shame on them! Shaaaame!

Yet I love rats too. Why's it that fans of rats usually hate snakes and the other way around, too?
Badger
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:22 am

Oh, I adore snakes! I think they're cute. Yeah, even the monstrous 10-meter-long ones. They have cute faces. And the way they smell with their tongues and can move without legs is fascinating.

I laughed when I read this. ^ Not in a malicious way, in a 'I can totally understand your point of view', kind of way. They do have cute faces, especially those with beady eyes and small heads (the ones with cat eyes look a bit scary, but they're cool).

It angers me when snakes are demonised. As I've mentioned, most of them rarely attack and bite/eat people, unlike sharks, crocodiles, lions or other dangerous creatures. Most of the time, they attack livestock (the big ones like anacondas), kind of like wolves. Even the ones I mentioned above rarely consume humans (in fact, with the exotic wildlife trade and traditional Chinese medicine, it might be the other way around!).

Spiders are also cool with me. They catch the pests I hate (like flies). I don't see anything wrong with keeping them as pets (unless they're illegally poached or something). My parents used to keep 'fighting spiders' in matchboxes as kids so they can have little bouts with their siblings and friends.
thedriveintheatre

Postby rock-itpop » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 am

Daughter of Eve wrote:I would much prefer a rat or a guinea pig.

I used to have degus. They're part of the chinchilla family, and they're very sociable. I loved having them as pets.

rock-itpop
Toy Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Members, Inc.