Pixar Planet

Doctor Who (Classic and New Series)

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Re: Doctor Who (Classic and New Series)

Postby Now Has Guilt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:29 am

I'm not usually the speculating type, either. I just wait and see what happens. But the big reveal has had me theorizing like mad!

Who's fairly popular in the US. Not nearly as big as in the UK, of course, but it's gaining popularity. Not everyone has access to BBC America. You usually only get it if you have the more expensive TV cable packages. Unlike the UK, it's not something that almost every resident knows about, like American Idol (or X Factor, I guess, in the UK). And it's not like Harry Potter, where you can go into a store and are almost guaranteed to find a fan. But most of the dork population has at least heard of it, and there are more people than we realize who are into it.

I know that last April, series 6 premiered in NYC and they got a way huger turnout than they expected. Real intense fans too, with costumes and action figures and whatnot. Some of them came a full day in advance, and the cast actually came early in the morning to greet the overnighters and give them doughnuts. If more and more fans are showing up for these sorts of things, maybe that's solid evidence that it's getting bigger here :D
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby definedancing » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 am

Haha, that sounds awesome! Yeah I know what you mean about the cable packages and that; a lot of American shows only feature on them.

I'm really excited though! :D

And don't get me started on The X Factor... :evil:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby Now Has Guilt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 am

That would make sense with the American shows there. At least there's the Internet, eh? I actually get BBC America at college in a few weeks, which I don't at home, so I am stoked. Who in high quality when the episode actually airs? I might just go into shock.

Hahah I know what you mean about X Factor. They have an American version or something now, but I can't imagine it's any better than American Idol. Both just seem really fake. I'm surprised they're still alive. If I'm going for guilty pleasure reality TV, it's going to be Cake Boss or Say Yes to the Dress (not sure if you have those in the UK?)

Is a discussion on Over the Rainbow or Graham Norton any better? I mean, it's not like they post ads for those over the Doctor's head during new episodes or anything... ;)
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby definedancing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:10 pm

We have Cake Boss on one of the cable channels but never heard of the other one :D
Haha, yes! I remember that well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspzbY1iYO8
But then there was this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnpZS_54uoA&NR=1

definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby Now Has Guilt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Haha I forgot about Graham Norton doing that afterward! At least he was good about it, just made a joke of the whole thing. Haven't heard of it happening since, so I guess those 5,000 calls made an impact.
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby definedancing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Well it was blown out of proportion imo 8D
I'm intrigued now! How much British telly do you get? I've heard that Top Gear, Merlin, Being Human, The Office and Spooks/MI5 (I've actually basically just listed my favourite shows 8D ) are fairly popular. Is this true somewhat? And is there anything else British thats big?
Tbh, I find US telly to be better generally. I love Law & Order: SVU, been watching that for years 8D . And I like The Big Bang Theory, Smallville, Six Feet Under and Curb Your Enthusiasm :)
Sorry for being geeky!

definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 pm

definedancing wrote:We have Cake Boss on one of the cable channels but never heard of the other one :D

I've been to The Cake Boss's shop in New Jersey.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby definedancing » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 am

^^WOW! That's so cool! :D

definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:39 am

definedancing wrote:^^WOW! That's so cool! :D

Haha, yeah. I never watch the show, so I didn't know much about it, but the line for the shop went down the street and around the block.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Amy43 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I've never seen this show, but I have a question. What does everyone mean by 10th doctor or 11th doctor? Do they randomly switch out main characters in the middle of the show? I figured that it would be about the same doctor the whole time.
ImageImage

My favorite Pixar characters are Randall, Gill, and Francesco! My avatar is Leonard from North by Northwest.
Amy43
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Now Has Guilt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:01 am

The Doctor is the same character/the same person. He's a Time Lord, which is a species of alien that's very similar to humans. But Time Lords don't die, they "regenerate." Every single cell in the Doctor's body is replaced with something new. So his body completely changes during regeneration. That's what people mean by 10th or 11th Doctor- the 10th incarnation vs. the 11th incarnation. He's essentially the same person, but each Doctor emphasizes different aspects of him and his quirks. Aspects of older Doctors will show up in newer ones. I guess it's kind of how actors can take the same character and script and interpret them in totally different ways. It's just different interpretations of the same character.

They don't change them often, it's not just this random thing that happens. Usually only happens when the actor wants to leave. Sometimes they'll tease a regeneration for suspense and it doesn't happen. It's a big deal, changing Doctors, so audiences usually know about it way before an episode airs.

Honestly, it probably started out as a convenient way to switch out actors, but it's allowed the show to grow and change and survive for almost 50 years. Just when the show gets dull, another actor comes in with a completely fresh perspective of the Doctor. It seems confusing, but once you watch the show, it works. I hope that made sense :D
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby Amy43 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Thank you for explaining. I understand now! :)
ImageImage

My favorite Pixar characters are Randall, Gill, and Francesco! My avatar is Leonard from North by Northwest.
Amy43
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby CowgirlJessie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Over the past month or so I've started watching Dr. Who. I've only see the first four episodes of the new Season One, but I love it so far! It can be a bit cheesy at times though.
Deviant Art | Envious
Future Pixar Musician
I'm a Pixarteer!
CowgirlJessie
Toy Collector

Postby Now Has Guilt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:03 am

Yeah, Season 1's got its cheesy moments. I guess it's part of being a science fiction show. You get really awesome episodes that blow your mind, and meh filler episodes with oodles of cheese. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, though!

In my opinion, New Who just keeps getting better. Eccleston was okay, but Tennant was awesome, and now I love Matt Smith. Russell Davies, the guy who brought Who back to life, was the executive producer until Tennant left, and now they have another guy, Steven Moffat. I tend to prefer Moffat's writing. I feel like the show makes more sense with him in charge, and there hasn't been a painful episode yet. By painful, I mean nonsensical or just plain bad. Like the ones with Slitheen, which I believe you've already encountered. Farting, fake-looking green aliens. Oh boy.

Have you gotten to the London Blitz one yet? I don't remember which one that was in season 1, but it's awesome. Kind of nightmare-inducing, but awesome. Moffat wrote that one too :D
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby CowgirlJessie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Yeah, the Slitheen were... bleh.

I haven't seen London Blitz yet. I've only seen up to Aliens of London. But I'm looking forward to hearing that one now. :)
Deviant Art | Envious
Future Pixar Musician
I'm a Pixarteer!
CowgirlJessie
Toy Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books