Pixar Planet

Character Discussion: Molt

Talk about Pixar's A Bug's Life here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Re:

Postby WheezysBestBud » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Minty Fresh wrote:I wonder why he's always molting anyway....do you think it's because he's kind of chubby and maybe often gaining weight? I don't know, it's just a random thing I wonder. Nothing wrong with being chubby/fat of course, I just wonder if that's why he molts a lot since I think molting has something to do with growing/gaining in size? I know sometimes it's just getting rid of old skin though.

My theory was that molting was the grasshopper equivalent of sweating; humans sweat when they get nervous. Since Molt is by nature a nervous type, his dropping flakes of skin could be interpreted as the same is dripping beads of sweat.
Brian aka WheezysBestBud
WheezysBestBud
Garbage Boy

Re: Re:

Postby Minty Fresh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 am

WheezysBestBud wrote:
Minty Fresh wrote:I wonder why he's always molting anyway....do you think it's because he's kind of chubby and maybe often gaining weight? I don't know, it's just a random thing I wonder. Nothing wrong with being chubby/fat of course, I just wonder if that's why he molts a lot since I think molting has something to do with growing/gaining in size? I know sometimes it's just getting rid of old skin though.

My theory was that molting was the grasshopper equivalent of sweating; humans sweat when they get nervous. Since Molt is by nature a nervous type, his dropping flakes of skin could be interpreted as the same is dripping beads of sweat.

That's definitely a possibility also....you're right.

Infact I do actually remember a scene(I think it was the fake bird scene)....when Molt shed his entire skin at once.

So your theory would make sense actually.

I mean in real life that's not why anything sheds....but in animated/fictional stories I know it can be different.
ImageImage
I'm a Randall fangirl. ♥ He's awesome and sexy. I'm also a fan of Hopper. ♥
INFJ (my personality type) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgQ-B_bnfM
Minty Fresh
Garbage Boy

Re:

Postby Sparky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am

Esmedes wrote:There is a fanfiction out there of how he came to join the circus and learning about Hopper's death, written by Sparky (who has seemed to disappear :/ ).

Awwah! I've been out there in internet-land! ;-p

I kinda wondered how he'd feel about Tuck and Roll keeping Hopper's antenna around though.

I don't think I ever tackled that in any of my fics (its been so long)...I've wondered the same thing! Tuck and Roll are among my favorite ABL characters too, after Molt. I think they're tied with PT, who I always thought of a more complex character than he appears.

As for why Molt molts: I had a theory I never got around to writing about. I thought that maybe he was sickly and weak at birth so his parents/mother overcompensated by overfeeding him. Thus his weight issues (I can relate), and perhaps this resulted in an overproduction of chitin that never switched back off.
Sparky
Ant

Re:

Postby bright dot-dasher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Esmedes wrote:I kinda wondered how he'd feel about Tuck and Roll keeping Hopper's antenna around though.

Haha! Oh, poor guy!

I watched A Bug's Life last night and I realize I like Molt more than I did before. My favorite part is seeing him get so excited over the circus. I agree that he pushes the plot forward instead of distracting from it, and also that even though he was intimidated by Hopper he was still rather happy-go-lucky and actually a nice guy. I also agree that molting could just be his equivalent of sweating when nervous.
Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but since in the fake bird scene he flees out of his old skin all at once, that could symbolize how he redeems himself later? Leaving his old skin, his old ways of being trapped in the grasshopper gang? I get that it was just meant to be funny, but maybe it could also mean that.
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Re: Character Discussion: Molt

Postby ObsessedWithPixar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

^I like that theory, BDD! Whether it was intended or not, it works well for Molt :) He really is a fantastic character, and Richard Kind did awesomely on his voice!
My Fanart - My Graphics - My Non-Pixar Art
Pixar now and forever <3
ObsessedWithPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Location: I wish I knew. Russell lost my GPS in Paradise Falls

Previous

Return to A Bug's Life