Pixar Planet

Anyone else thinks kids channels suck today?

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Re: Anyone else thinks kids channels suck today?

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 am

It's not as bad as everyone makes out. There's Steven Universe, Clarence, and Gravity Falls.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby The Star Swordsman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:24 pm

The only "kids shows" I watch are My Little Pony and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and even still those fandoms are adored both by kids and adults
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby K9Girl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Disney has some really amazing people in charge of their currently airing cartoons. (Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, and Wander Over Yonder). I absolutely adore all three. If only they could get people like that for their live action division. :P
K9Girl
Master Scarer

Location: Warning my friends about the free pistachio ice cream

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:43 am

^Oh, I forgot to mention P&F and WoW
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby buckmana » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:45 pm

As time goes on, I find myself watching tv less and less.

I know Phineas and Ferb is Disney's big thing, but while I enjoyed parts of it, it never really drew me in like the shows that preceded it.

I think the last new (well, newish!) cartoons I watched were SymBionic Titan and MegasXLR.
After seeing the season 1 finale of SBT, I got a bit miffed when I found out that the backstory subplot they'd been working on all season was never going to be resolved!
Thinking about watching Generator Rex, but haven't decided about that yet.

I like the first series of Ben10, but I feel the further iterations aren't as entertaining.
Ben and Gwen were much more interesting as kids, they're not as engaging as teens.
Also, I resent the fact that Gwen went from tomboy to girly girl (judging from appearance).

Considering that many of my favorite live and animated shows have been axed before all the plots were resolved, I'm incredibly cautious about watching something new now.
Basically, I want to be assured that all the story points are wrapped up in a neat little package, all the subplots are finished and the show ends not leaving you feeling like it was incomplete.
If the show ends without the story being finished properly, I'll refuse to even start watching it now.
And I won't even consider it until the final episode has been aired with the series being taken off the channel, so I can find out if the stories were finished or not.

I checked 4 days ago to see what else Disney was offering and it was like ordering a dish of bland, a side of disinterest and a meh to go with it.

Live action kids tv has even less appeal to me, it seems like they're just all following the same formula, get kids and/or tweens to make a sitcom, then fire them when they turn 15-17 and make another one.

I'm vaguely contemplating watching the Thundermans, but haven't decided if I should yet.
The only reasons I looked at it in the first place is I like superhuman stuff and thought the idea of a good girl super living with her evil super brother might be funny.
Not so sure the talking rabbit idea was worth including, that's a gimmick prop usually.
buckmana
Mutant Toy

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Cartoon Network is a pretty good channel. Adventure Time is a great show and I like how they reveal and develop characters over time. People really under estimate Pen Wards capacity for pathos and story.

On the other hand I hate Nickelodeon and I hope they burn.

Don't care about Disney channel.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby evspixarfan2012 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 am

You can find older cartoons available for streaming if you visit Hulu. I was watching Garfield & Friends on there today.
evspixarfan2012
Master Scarer

Postby MonkeeJuice » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:47 pm

It's sad that those channels have gone down low. I definitely miss the old days of those channels.

I blame Anne Sweeney for the demise of Disney Channel. Since the mid 2000's, the channel aired nothing but unentertaining tween crap like The Suite Life, Hannah Montana, and High School Musical. I really miss Vault Disney.

Nickelodeon's main reason for their downhill is there dependence on SpongeBob which hasn't been spectacular since before the film.

And Cartoon Network is guilty for showing live-action shows.
The voices in my head tell me that I'm crazy in the most wonderful way
MonkeeJuice
Toy Collector

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:12 am

At least Disney Channel has Gravity Falls and Cartoon Network has Steven Universe.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby buckmana » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:53 pm

I have seen the Thundermans first season and some of the second season by now.
It's an interesting take on the superhuman story, especially Phoebe living with her "evil twin".
Haunted Hathaways is a crossover show with Thundermans now and that's also entertaining to me.

I've seen the first season of Generator Rex and that was also interesting.
But I don't think that show is still in production.

I'm currently looking for Lab Rats, as the few clips i've seen so far are enough to make me want to see it.
The other live action show though (Kickin' It) didn't appeal to me, from what I read about it.
I gather it's all about aesoping and slapstick comedy, I'm uncertain if it has a serious story to go with that.
buckmana
Mutant Toy

Postby Pixarfan91 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:14 pm

I think Disney and CN have improved, I can't say the same about Nick. They just get worse and worse with every single year. I heard Hey Arnold might get revived, but there's no conformation yet. Nick's problem is they're trying to be hip, even though they don't know what is hip with kids today. They also can't let go of SpongeBob. Yeah, it's the show making lot of money for them, but they need a replacement.
But what if Andy gets another dinosaur? A mean one? I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection. Im a OFFICIAL PIXARTEER Image Image
Pixarfan91
Super Hero

Postby buckmana » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:57 am

There's one kid's cartoon where the name alone caused to have a momentary mindblank, then followed by a whattheheck reaction and finally, how the heck did a show like this get approved for production?
I think when someone has those 3 reactions, that tells you everything about the quality of the show in question.

I don't know more then the title about the show in question.
I'm actually afraid to do any research on it, in case it turns out to be one of those things you can't unlearn.
buckmana
Mutant Toy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:12 am

^Well what it's the title?
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby buckmana » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:15 am

The day my <omitted> went psycho.
That's as much as I am comfortable with in identifying the show.
buckmana
Mutant Toy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 pm

^Still very confused but I will take your word for it.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books