Pixar Planet

Book of Life

Do you enjoy animation or are you in the business? Come here to talk about everything else in the animated world.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Book of Life

Postby WheezysBestBud » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:07 am

So Twentieth Century Fox Animation has a movie coming out based on Dia De Los Muertos called "Book of Life". I'm worried that the release of this movie will not compel Pixar to discard their Dia De Los Muertos project, much like the way that they discarded "Newt" because of the release of "Rio".
Brian aka WheezysBestBud
WheezysBestBud
Garbage Boy

Re: Book of Life

Postby Villainess » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 am

Didn't Newt have multiple movies coming out with the same premise? There was the wolf thing, as well, right? I think Pixar's movie is safe. After all, they kept going with other projects while Dreamworks made rip offs of them, didn't they? (Not saying this movie or Rio are rip offs, just saying they've gone on while similar works were made.) I'd only worry if something happens like this one bombing at the box office or something.

I've read a bit about this one. It sounds fairly interesting, and I like the look of it a lot, but I don't think I'll be seeing it except for maybe renting it after it comes out on DVD, just since I don't go to the movies very often.
Villainess
Garbage Boy

Postby WheezysBestBud » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Villainess wrote:Didn't Newt have multiple movies coming out with the same premise? There was the wolf thing, as well, right? I think Pixar's movie is safe. After all, they kept going with other projects while Dreamworks made rip offs of them, didn't they? (Not saying this movie or Rio are rip offs, just saying they've gone on while similar works were made.) I'd only worry if something happens like this one bombing at the box office or something.

I've read a bit about this one. It sounds fairly interesting, and I like the look of it a lot, but I don't think I'll be seeing it except for maybe renting it after it comes out on DVD, just since I don't go to the movies very often.

What movies did DreamWorks rip off from Pixar? A lot of people would say Shark Tale, which I never believed. The only similarities between it and FN are that all the characters are fish; the plots are completely different!
Brian aka WheezysBestBud
WheezysBestBud
Garbage Boy

Postby TheSpaceSheriff » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Villainess wrote:Didn't Newt have multiple movies coming out with the same premise? There was the wolf thing, as well, right? I think Pixar's movie is safe. After all, they kept going with other projects while Dreamworks made rip offs of them, didn't they? (Not saying this movie or Rio are rip offs, just saying they've gone on while similar works were made.) I'd only worry if something happens like this one bombing at the box office or something.

It's one thing to dislike Dreamworks' excessive films but I really doubt that the "rip-off" Pixar films. Just because Antz and Finding Nemo had similar settings and close release dates, I really doubt that they are direct rip-offs. I think that title belongs to Vídeo Brinquedo...
"Falling with style", eh?
TheSpaceSheriff
Toy Collector

Location: Floating aimlessly in space (Hopefully Zurg doesn't capture me)

Postby Villainess » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Okay, okay, "rip off" was a bad word to use (I actually don't dislike Dreamworks). The point was they've put out similar looking movies before and it's never stopped Pixar (though, admittedly, this only really applies with Antz since Shark Tale was after Finding Nemo).

I just sincerely doubt Pixar will let one similarly subjected movie change their plans, again unless this movie does absolutely horribly. Especially since there'll be years between Book of Life and Pixar's movie, and while we know Newt and Rio actually had the same basic plot, we have no idea what the plot of Pixar's movie will be.
Villainess
Garbage Boy

Postby WheezysBestBud » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Did anyone end up seeing Book of Life?
Brian aka WheezysBestBud
WheezysBestBud
Garbage Boy

Postby Bandling45 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:48 pm

I actually wouldn't mind seeing it if it had smarter humor. I just... I don't know. The plot actually sounds kind of interesting— sort of a Midsummer Night's Dream kind of thing. It's just that some of the jokes seem really immature for me. Maybe I'm being too picky... idk.
Let's Get Dangerous
Bandling45
Shark Bait

Postby K9Girl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 pm

I saw it! The plot was pretty interesting, albeit pretty predictable, and I found some of the sidekicks to be really annoying, but overall I thought it was really enjoyable. And the animation is SO SERIOUSLY BEAUTIFUL. The movie was definitely worth seeing on the big screen for the animation alone.
K9Girl
Master Scarer

Location: Warning my friends about the free pistachio ice cream

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:42 am

I loved this movie.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Bandling45 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I finally saw it. May I just say that it was great? Because it was. I thought the animation was great, and the character designs were, of course, to die for (no pun intended, but greatly appreciated).
Let's Get Dangerous
Bandling45
Shark Bait

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:01 am

I ADORE this movie. So. Much. On so many levels, I could go on and on and on about it. But I don't want to bore anyone. XD
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Annie_Black » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 am

Hi everyone! I am new here, just wanted to introduce myself – my name is Annie, I work as a writer at paper writing service and I am looking forward to having some interesting conversations with you people :)
Annie_Black

Postby Franko » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:33 pm

I love this movie. Watched it over 5 times already. Thanks pixar for such a great production.
Franko

Return to Other Animation