Pixar Planet

The Android problem (related to the CIA Hacking thing)

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

The Android problem (related to the CIA Hacking thing)

Postby BalaklavaS » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:26 am

Okay, so I see a few really stupid posts about the CIA Taking over cars and TVs and Microwaves. I'd like to discuss the real issue behind all this: Android, root, and manufactureres of ARM based devices.

I own a BLU Studio 5.0C. It has a MediaTek Chipset in it. Because of that, I am stuck with updates from BLU of Android 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 (Kitkat) the build of Android has to be for my MTK Chipset.

The problem here is that I cannot install Vanilla (Lineage OS/Cyanogen) Android on most things. To maintain full control of my devices, I have to have root. Then I can install whatever APKs I want, that I trust, or I make. Including a firewall.

Manufacturers don't like this and make a very clear warning: If you root your device, we will void your warranty full stop. We put a resister that blows itself if we detect root taking place, so even if you unroot, you are screwed.

I see this as a violation of several warranty acts. Furthermore, with situations like Android TVs, I know of no root enabled Android TVs from Samsung. Then this happened confirming my worst fears: The US CIA has Android root level exploits that consumers do not. Consumers can't root Android TVs or Flash them to run vanilla Android with TV drivers.

The only resolution is don't permit the Smart TV to act as a smart TV, treat it like a Dumb TV or Monitor, and use a secondary Media box. - and deny the TV itself access to the Internet. What happens though when the TV decides its going to stop operating entirely if you deny the EULA, or disconnect it from the Internet?

What if they start coming with GSM Cellular modems to where if you deny the TV Access to your Wifi/Ethernet it accesses the internet anyway Via GSM to spy on you?
BalaklavaS

Re: The Android problem (related to the CIA Hacking thing)

Postby davidblack007 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:20 am

BalaklavaS wrote:Okay, so I see a few really stupid posts about the CIA Taking over cars and TVs and Microwaves. I'd like to discuss the real issue behind all this: Android, root, and manufactureres of ARM based devices.

I own a BLU Studio 5.0C. It has a MediaTek Chipset in it. Because of that, I am stuck with updates from BLU of Android 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 (Kitkat) the build of Android has to be for my MTK Chipset.

The problem here is that I cannot install Vanilla (Lineage OS/Cyanogen) Android on most things. To maintain full control of my devices, I have to have root. Then I can install whatever APKs I want, that I trust, or I make. Including a firewall.

Manufacturers don't like this and make a very clear warning: If you root your device, we will void your warranty full stop. We put a resister that blows itself if we detect root taking place, so even if you unroot, you are screwed.

I see this as a violation of several warranty acts. Furthermore, with situations like Android TVs, I know of no root enabled Android TVs from Samsung. Then this happened confirming my worst fears: The US CIA has Android root level exploits that consumers do not. Consumers can't root Android TVs or Flash them to run vanilla Android with TV drivers.

The only resolution is don't permit the Smart TV to act as a smart TV, treat it like a Dumb TV or Monitor, and use a secondary Media box. - and deny the TV itself access to the Internet. What happens though when the TV decides its going to stop operating entirely if you deny the EULA, or disconnect it from the Internet?

What if they start coming with GSM Cellular modems to where if you deny the TV Access to your Wifi/Ethernet it accesses the internet anyway Via GSM to spy on you?

Whenever I talk to people about the vulnerability of the android operating system they usually say something to the effect of ,"Apple wont let them in" because they have a bias in favor of one company over the other they fail to realize or even look into their own stuff. Mac OS , IOS, Play Station OS (3 and 4), Nintendo Switch OS and many other things are based off of FreeBSD which are all along with Android are Unix Like. Which means they are similar but they all may not be the same thing. My point is that people like hackers all-ready know the programming languages of these devices and which is why the government doesn't need apple, android or any companies help breaking into phones. They just need a hacker who can break into it.
davidblack007

Postby johndoll » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:20 am

Ahah, I’m more than sure that the CIA can follow any person in the world through the phone’s camera or microphone. But I consider it nonsense that the CIA seized all cars and other electronics)
By the way, there is verified information that Google helps the CIA in tracking people. It may sound strange, but it's true. Nevertheless, I really love this company because in any case, it cares a lot about its customers and it is a leader among other application stores. For example, you knew that Google has its own loyalty program for receiving discounts in the play market. You can read about it here at yourmoneygeek.com
johndoll
Ant

Postby Goors1n » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:49 am

johndoll wrote:Ahah, I’m more than sure that the CIA can follow any person in the world through the phone’s camera or microphone. But I consider it nonsense that the CIA seized all cars and other electronics)
By the way, there is verified information that Google helps the CIA in tracking people. It may sound strange, but it's true. Nevertheless, I really love this company because in any case, it cares a lot about its customers and it is a leader among other application stores. For example, you knew that Google has its own loyalty program for receiving discounts in the play market. You can read about it here at yourmoneygeek.com

Why didn’t anyone tell me about this some months ago?!
Goors1n
Ant

Return to Off-Topic