A113

Where is A113 in Monsters, inc., does anyone have a screencap.
P.S. What exactly does Wikipedia mean by: Sign seen in the background when Sulley sees Smitty and Needleman loading the trash compactor
…and when is that? I looked through the movie, but I couldn’t find a sign behing them…

I don’t think A113 is anywhere in Monsters, Inc.. The number on the trash machine was XP-13.

Also, about Wikipedia…they are liars.

Yeah I dont remember seeing it. But then I was looking that hard either

Well, apparently it’s been in all of the Pixar films, but in my many viewings of Monsters, Inc., I haven’t spotted it and I don’t think it is where they say it is in Wikipedia, either. The next time I watch MI, I’ll keep an eye out.

What is A113?? Why are people ignoring me? :question: :exclamation:

~Sarah

A113 is an in-joke that’s apparently included in all Pixar films. It originated from CalArts where A113 is the classroom number for the character animation students.

God bless you lizardgirl.

I only just found out about this A113 (i got curious after spotting it in Toy Story and realising it was the same as Autopilot’s directive…)

I havent watched monsters inc since so i havent been looking for it, but id guess its got to be on one the CIA members. There’s alot of them… that or maybe in some paperwork somewhere… xD

I should watch it again soon and have a look for it hehe

hmm

I don’t think that IS a character in Monsters Inc.

BUT

A113 IS something in Wall-E

Atleast that is what I found on Wikipedia.com!

cranes neck
I may have to look into this.
Oh and to just put that out there, did anybody notice the M.I, symbol on the can that Wall-e uses as a “hat” in the beginning of Wall-e? ^_-

Not to mention the Pizza Planet truck.

Well I think Wikipedia means when Sully sees the eye from Boo’s costume in the compactor. I went through it frame-by-frame in iTunes, and all I can see is when Sully run down the stairs, the floor number is 13, but I can’t find ‘A1’ anywhere.

Pixar can be clever in how they extend the “A113” rule. Like in the Incredibles, it’s the section Bob is in, when Helen looks in a monitor station, it first starts if I recall…with A1 on the left, and the camera pans to the right to reveal 13 being the floor/section, what have you, that Bob’s on. So A113 would be in the same area/shot, but not neccessarily all together.

A113 was the classroom that two of the animators were in in college. It’s in every PIXAR movie

a113 is a reference to the college room most of the animators learned their skills. i think it was called California institute of art or something. it appears in every pixar film.
in monsters inc it appears on one of the office doors in the hallway sulley and boo run down and bump into the disinfectors
in toy story it appears on a licience plate
in bugs life it appears on the circus crews truck
in finding nemo its on the divers goggles
i cant remember the others
i heard this on a pixar documentary. hope this helps!

Just to clarify, I’ve found out myself that what a lot of people think is A113 on the sign next to the door is actually “B. Brute”, which was pointed out by Pete Doctor back on the DVD commentary.

I have been wondering about this myself cause I was working on a video guide a few months ago for Pixar’s in-jokes, and I feel like it would be incomplete if we didn’t know where A113 was in Monsters Inc. Has anyone ever asked Lee Unkrich on Twitter if it’s in the film or not? I’m sure he would know.

Just found this - “- Sign seen in the background when Sulley sees Smitty and Needleman loading the trash compactor.”

And this:

For anyone who still cares about wanting to figure this mystery out, I just contacted Lee Unkrich on Twitter yesterday asking him about it, and this is what he had to say:

“I think it’s the warning code when George Sanderson brings the sock in on his back. It’s been a while – I’d have to check.”

[url]http://twitter.com/leeunkrich/status/37390829140189184[/url]

I wasn’t going to say this to him but apparently he forgot all about the “2319” gag, which is hard to believe since he was both co-director and editor on Monsters, Inc., not to mention that it was such a memorable recurring line throughout the whole film. Then again, I do know how busy he was making Toy Story 3 and it really was a long time since they made Monsters, Inc., so I’m sure it’s possible that even he would forget every in-joke they were doing at the time. But hey, he said he’d check so that’s a start anyway.

I came pretty close to spotting it as a number on the wall in the door/roller-coaster chase, but it was only “A13” :frowning: so sad :frowning:

Forgot the one, perhaps?

Think you can post a screenshot of that?