Pixar Planet

Happy Chinese New Year! :D

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Happy Chinese New Year! :D

Postby thedriveintheatre » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 pm

A reenactment of TDIT 20 years ago, when hongbaos were half his height.

Thought I'd resurrect an old Bright-Dot-Dasher thread from Archives to discuss one of the biggest festivals in the world (and the biggest annual migration of people to their hometowns). If you guys haven't guessed it, Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year) is around the corner! :D

This is one of my favourite times of the year next to Christmas because back when I was a kid, the family would take a road trip to my parents' hometown in Penang and visit our grandparents. We would have a big reunion dinner, we'd go around visiting friends and relatives, and we'd get the much-coveted hongbao.

What's a hongbao, you ask? It literally means "red packet", and it is a red sleeve of money given by married friends and relatives to kids and unmarried adults. Naturally, this is the most fun part of Chinese New Year my siblings and I would look forward to, although our mum would take our money and put it in the bank anyway. :sad: But we'd get the opportunity to buy new clothes, see long-forgotten cousins and uncles and aunties and family friends, and generally have a good time.

Now that I'm a bit older, I'd probably be pressured to find a girlfriend and get hooked up so that I don't keep mooching hongbaos from my folks! :P

Do any of you celebrate CNY? If you don't what was your experience of it? Have you seen the lion dances, or attended a reunion dinner and toss lo hei (that's a fish salad which is meant to symbolise prosperity and longevity)? Do you have Asian friends who celebrate this tradition?

Also, 2013 is a very meaningful year for me, because I was born in the Year of the Snake, and the snake is the Zodiac animal this year again (you can probably guess my age too). The last time I celebrated my Zodiac year was in Indonesia, and I remember taking a picture next to this giant snake decoration at our local diner.

What is your Zodiac year? You can also discuss it in this mentalguru post. :)

Only two more days to CNY! :mrgreen:
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Phileas » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 pm

For those who celebrate, Gong he xin xi - Gong xi fa cai! Whether you're at home or abroad, make sure you take it easy!

蛇年大吉! (I speak not a single word of Chinese... so, uhm, if I got this totally all wrong... sorry.)
Follow me & give me a shout on Twitter! @mr_poohbear
Phileas
Chief Operating Officer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:09 am

蛇年大吉! (I speak not a single word of Chinese... so, uhm, if I got this totally all wrong... sorry.)

Don't worry Phileas, I can only speak and read "baby level" Chinese. So I can't tell if you got it wrong either! ;)
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby jacktimo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 am

but I'm kinda stranded at college Would some ramen suffice? Yeah, I guess not. Wrong country. :lol:
Last edited by little_chef_eva09 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not spam our boards with links.
jacktimo

Postby Annie_Black » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Hello everyone :) I am new here and I just wanted to introduce myself - my name is Annie and I work as a writer at writing service. I really hope to find some interestin stuff here, some helpful tips and advices. Thank you :)
Annie_Black

Previous

Return to Off-Topic