Pixar Planet

Geri's Game

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Geri's Game

Postby carlfredricksen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:02 pm

No discussion about Geri? This is my favorite pixar short! It's great how he's also the toy restorer in toy story 2. Shows he's not just a desperate old man. What are your thoughts?
"So long boys! PFFFFFFFFFT"
carlfredricksen
Mutant Toy

Postby Mitch » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:14 pm

I first saw Geri's Game back in the mid-nineties, before A Bug's Life was released. As my father is in the animation industry, he is often given access to various events, merchandise, and other items related to entertainment before the general media; henceforth, he managed to receive/borrow a copy of this particular short before it was released theatrically. He showed it to my mother, sisters, and I one day, and, as a kid, I thought that it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. It always stuck with me, particularly because I've always loved Chess and because it was just down-right hilarious in my eyes. To date, it's still one of my favorite of Pixar's short films.

Thank you for making a thread revolving around this featurette! :D

-- Mitch

P.S. I decided to make this thread a "Sticky", so as it may retain its proper place amongst the other Pixar short film threads which have been bestowed with the same title.
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby carlfredricksen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 pm

thanks... my all time fave. It's beautifully animated and the facial expressions of Geri are what carries the weight. Great story telling

I remember first seeing it and thinking the leaves on the trees were incredibly detailed.
carlfredricksen
Mutant Toy

Postby Bryko614 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:24 pm

This is probably my second favorite short. I love how the double personalities of Geri can be clearly distinct without seeming impossible or unnatural for an old man. Still, the shot with both Geris in it has always bugged me. I guess you really don't notice it once you're engaged in the story, but I always felt it was weird.
Bryko614
Upcoming Pixar • Chief Writer

Postby lennonluvr9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I really like that short too! I was surprised they went so far as to have Geri fake a heart attack, but that was pretty amusing. I think the shot with both Geris in it is cool, it gives the impression that all may not be what it seems.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby lizardgirl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:47 pm

I adore Geri's Game! I think it was the first Pixar thing I ever actually watched, though I don't know why...I just have memories of being really young and seeing it. I love Geri, and also his appearence in Toy Story 2. It was cool to actually hear him speak a lot, since (as far as I can remember) he doesn't speak much, if at all in Geri's Game.

It's also quite a sad short in a way, that a guy like Geri has no-one to play chess with.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby carlfredricksen » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:41 am

lennonluvr9- I agree, the shot of both Geris just makes you question the thought that is all alone... maybe he's playing with his twin, who shows up and leaves without anyone knowing? who knows
carlfredricksen
Mutant Toy

Postby Hannahmation » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:40 am

I love Geri's Game! One of my favorite Pixar shorts. Geri is such a fun old man. His facial expressions are great! As it was said before, I like the fact that with the shot of both Geris, it gives the impression that things may not be what they seem which adds something extra to the short.
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby carlfredricksen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 am

I just watched it again on youtube... where is the shot where you can see them both? I think we all imagined it. They seem to do a really careful job of only showing one at a time, but doing very fast cuts.

Somebody prove me wrong, but I don't think it's there!
carlfredricksen
Mutant Toy

Postby lennonluvr9 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Oh yes, it's there. We're not just all mass hallucinating :wink: It's not up very long but there is a shot where you see the hand of one Geri with the face of the other in the background-

Sorry that's so tiny, but it's the best I could find in a hurry :)
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby carlfredricksen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Must have missed that in my viewings. Great find! can't dispute that.
carlfredricksen
Mutant Toy

Postby HelloDolly114 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:54 pm

carlfredricksen wrote:lennonluvr9- I agree, the shot of both Geris just makes you question the thought that is all alone... maybe he's playing with his twin, who shows up and leaves without anyone knowing? who knows

Ha. Thats a good theory! Maybe there are really 2 Geri's and we're the crazy ones thinking there is only one!

I always thought Geri was crazy , but maybe not......hmm..its something to think about!

Anyway this is my favorite short ever created by pixar! It's just gold!

LONG LIVE GERI!

XD
"Its not flying, Its falling...with STYLE!"
HelloDolly114
Garbage Boy

Postby annarborjack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:26 pm

I love that short!

*Edited for shouting.* -- Mitch
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby carlfredricksen » Sat May 02, 2009 3:52 am

I still like your enthusiasm annarborjack :D