Pixar Planet

Geri's Game

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Geri's Game

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 am

Geri's Game is such as classic. It's the first Pixar film short I've ever seen. The only thing is, I don't seem to have a good reason as to why I like it other than Geri just seems like such a fun character. In recent years, I've been wondering what the moral of the story is exactly. Is it just showing how even at an old age, you can be a wise, fun-loving person full of spirit? Is it just demonstrating the creativity in the way his mind thinks? I still love it either way, and his appearance in Toy Story 2 was hysterical!
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 am

I haven't seen this short in a while, but I'm trying to remember if there was a moral, or if they just wanted to do a really fun video about an elderly man. I'll need to give it a re-watch!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:15 am

^True. They may have just wanted to tell a cute little story just for the fun of it. Nothing's ever wrong with that either.

I wonder if Bob Peterson knew that this would be the first in a long line of great character voices he would do...
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 am

I didn't know that Bob Peterson voiced Geri!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 am

Yes, Bob Peterson voices Geri in the actual short "Geri's Game". However, he is voiced by Jonathan Harris (as "The Cleaner) in Toy Story 2 who also voiced Manny from A Bug's Life and is actually the real-life person who Geri is modeled after.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 am

Thank you for that tidbit! I know a great deal of Pixar trivia, so it's great to hear some new ones!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh, you're welcome! Once I found he played Geri, I thought "Oh, I guess I can hear the resemblance!". Also, sorry if I sounded all uptight about how I said that, I really wasn't trying to be. I just re-read what I wrote and thought I maybe should have said "Yup" or just said it more casually. I like facts, but there are many I don't even know, so sorry if I sounded like I was trying to be a know-it-all. I just got excited.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:08 am

LQstudiesPixar wrote:. I like facts, but there are many I don't even know, so sorry if I sounded like I was trying to be a know-it-all. I just got excited.

No worries! You didn't sound like a know-it-all. I am one of those people who love facts, I say them quite often myself!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:15 am

Oh, okay. Thanks, E-J-E :) . Like I said, I think this short is a classic, and I think it was many people's first Pixar short.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby evspixarfan2012 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I like how he plays chess against himself--and ironically, I can't even learn how to play chess myself!
evspixarfan2012
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:28 am

evspixarfan2012 wrote:I like how he plays chess against himself--and ironically, I can't even learn how to play chess myself!

Yeah, it's a hard game to learn, IMO. Geri must have spent a lot of his life playing it!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby evspixarfan2012 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Let's just say that trying to figure out the chess piece movements is the hardest part of the game.
evspixarfan2012
Master Scarer

Postby kenedy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 am

Its my favorite so that I hope we have a fully discussion about it...Lets start
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
kenedy

Postby Milcah » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:26 am

Such great infromation you have put on your blog post. I really appreciated it.

MOD EDIT: Removed link.
Milcah

Postby Milcah » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 am

Wow really interesting article, may later be able to share other helpful information are more interesting. Thank you!
happy wheels
Milcah

Previous

Return to Pixar's Short Films