Books

Tell me if there is a topic on this. I’m reading a book called Maniac Magee. I only have 4 pages left. I’ll review it tomorrow. [spoil]Has anyone read it or heard of it?[/spoil]

Yeah, I really like that book. :slight_smile: I started reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard, but I haven’t really gotten into it.

I was gonna read that, TAMATER. Is it worth getting?

I have read the German version of Beedle the Bard in one go. It’s a pretty nice collection of short stories, my favorite being the one with the three witches and the knight who look for some well of fortune. Dumbledore’s comments between those stories are nice, too. Last Saturday I brought the English version of the book which I’m going to read tomorrow. Then I give a better review of the book. The word ‘nice’ isn’t enough^^

Yeah it’s pretty much what Witch_of_Night said. I think that it’s really good and worth getting, especially if you’re a Harry potter fan.

I’m reading “MAX” by James Patterson. It’s part of the Maximum Ride Series. It’s totally awsome! I’d highly recomend it. Here’s what the series is about.

[url]_max.html[/url] | James Patterson

My favorie books include: Holes (Louis Sachar), Matilda (Roald Dahl), Coraline (Neil Gaiman), The Tale of Desperaux (Kate Dicamillio), Escape From Memory, The House on the Gulf (Margaret Peterson Haddix), The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton), Midnight Magic (Avi)…

Right now, I’m reading a book called Ghost Cats, about an unusual kid who differs from most others because he loves to move so he can travel around the world. When his parents decide to settle in a place for good, everything changes, including his siblings are less and less his friends, and now he feels alone. As if things can’t change worse, ghost cats arrive…
I havent’s gotten very far, but it’s an excellent read so far.

I used to read Warriors, a book series set in a forest cat’s world, where cats live in clans and fight if they must. It’s really awesome, but I last read the fifth book, I think, and haven’t proceeded reading more since then. If I start again now, it’ll be confusing all over again because I forgot who’s who, and there are a lot of characters.

I like Undercover Girl, a very interesting book series, but it seems there are only 4 books.

Animal Ark, though lovable, kinda has the same plot over and over…so it’s been a while since I’ve read something of that series, too.

My favorite authors are: Margaret Peterson Haddix (for intense, exciting, and mysterious reads) and Dick King-Smith (for simple, short, but adorably creative and humorous reads)

Is it deja vu, or has there already been a book threads sometime back? I’m not sure…

But anyway, yeah, I checked out The Tales of Beedle the Bard last holidays too and I agree with you guys that it’s pretty good! A very ilght read, too short, but JK Rowling’s prose sparkles with the usual magic. Some cute moralistic tales. I like the one about the leaky cauldron. :slight_smile:

The Tale of Desperaux is also an amusing tale. I can only describe it as something like Bee Movie, except executed much better and without the stupid pop-culture jokes. I want to watch the film adaptation, but I prefered the original book’s illustrations by Mr Ering. The mice were less ‘humanised’ and Desperaux looked so much more adorable!

Some of my favourite reads are:

The Alex Rider series. Anthony Horowitz comes up with the coolest situations to throw his young protagonist into. The only ‘teen spy’ books you should ever read… he was the first and best as far as I know, before the trend of copycats like Spy High, Young James Bond and Cherubs followed… :angry:

Harry Potter. Who doesn’t love JK Rowling’s adventures of a boy wizard? Great, great characters (with funny wordplays on their names), fantastical creatures, spells and magic, and twist endings that you’ll never see coming!

His Dark Materials. No matter what the Christian conservatives say, I respect Mr Pullman for his thought-provoking take on organised religion. It’s a well-written commentary on both philosophy and theology disguised as a children’s story. Even if you don’t agree with his opinions, it’s still a wonderful fantasy trilogy for the ages! Seriously, the idea of daemons (though based on sprit religions) is the most brilliant concept I’ve ever come across in fiction. You’ll want to have one too! I’m disappointed with the movie’s cop-out on the ending, but that discussion’s for another thread.

The Action Hero’s Handbook and Worst Case Scenario series. This one’s a guilty pleasure. If you ever need a guidebook (or two) to get out of sticky situations, these are what you need! Some of the ‘sitchs’ are even downright hilarious!

The No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. McCallSmith’s riveting adventures of an independent woman P.I. in the beautiful country of Botswana. Even got made into a television min-series!

Angels & Demons is the best action-thriller book for grown-ups I’ve read, and a much better and tighter effort than Dan Brown’s later sequel, The Da Vinci Code. Fastest-paced novel I’ve ever blazed through, trust me, you won’t put this down once you start reading. I can’t say the same about the just released movie as I haven’t watched it yet.

I, Robot. You can thank Wall-E for inspiring me to read this. Asimov’s fundamental Three Laws of Robotics laid the foundations for modern science-fiction as we know it. Some of the stories like Robbie, Little Lost Robot and Sally (yes, the protagonist of this tale is a living car like Pixar’s Porsche 911!) reminded me of Cars and Wall-E. :wink:

Anyone read any of these books? What do you think of them? :smiley:

Harry Potter is my favorite book series. It’s simply an amzingly well-written and crafted tale. I really can’t say enough good things about the books or J.K. Rowling. It’s the Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz of our generation. I’m extremely grateful that my mom bought the Sorcerer’s Stone for me.

I’ve read a bunch of the Star Wars books. Some were pretty good, some were completely terible (I’m looking at you Yuuzahn Vong) A few of the ones I thought were very good, and similar in feel to the films were: Cloak of Deception, Labyritnh of Evil, and Darth Vader: Rise of the Dark Lord.

To Kill A Mockingbird is another one of my all-time favorite books, it jsut barely gets beat out by Deathly Hollows for “favorite book”. It’s a great story, with great, memorable characters, a very good look at morality and social issues, and great symbolism.

I also enjoyed Treasure Island, the Sherlock Holmes stories I have read, and quite a few others.

I, Robot is a great book (must not comment on the film, must not comment on the film) the film not so much (darn…) In fact quite a lot of Asimov’s books are very enjoyable.

Philip K. Dick is another of my favourite authors and his ‘A Scanner Darkly’ is my favourite book.

Edited for language. – Mitch

I love to read books!
On vacation I can spend hours and hours just sitting in the sun (or on the couch in the winter) with a good book with me.
right now I am reading the hitchikers guide to the galaxy in english I love it!

I am also a big fan of fantasy books, Harry Potter, the Magician series by Feist, the Drenai series from Gemell or the sord of truth series are all standing proudly in my bookcase.

Cool book, wanted to create a movie on it when i was young…Pixar style.

I read, Tolkein, Lewis, Redwall, and loads of other novels, i just love to read them.

Note-Finished Lord of the Rings 1 in 2 days…phew.

I’m reading All That I Have by Castle Freeman, Jr. at the moment. I’ll inform you of how good (or perhaps bad!) it is when I’m finished! I’m liking it so far, though. :wink:

Awake and Dreaming is an amazing book (but I forgot the author! I read it a long time ago). It’s a novel about a girl who makes up a happy family she wishes to be part of, only to find that the same family she makes up really exists…then she dreams that she is a member of the family, and her dreams seems so real and reality seems so dreamlike that she becomes mixed up.

The Music of Dolphins is a fabulous book as well (again, forgot the author, sorry!) I’ve read it three times, out of free will. I usually don’t read any book more than once if I have the choice. I love the development of Mila’s character as she learns more about the human world. I would describe the story much like Tarzan and Enchanted.
Synopsis: A teenaged girl named Mila, who has been raised by dolphins for as long as she can remember, is found and taken away by people who want to teach her to be human. Mila, in her opinion, thinks that it’s the humans who are nonsensible and the dolphins who have better ways of life.

I’ve also read this humorous book titled Space Station Rat (I think I forgot the author of all of them). It reminded me somewhat of Ratatouille, WALL-E, and has it’s own plot.
Synopsis: A lavender rat escapes from the labratory and into a space shuttle, where a bored, lonely boy resides while his parents are busy. The rat is very intellegent, and creates her own email account and emails conversations to the boy. The boy thinks he has a new friend, and the rat has someone to get information from.

Of Two Minds is a fantastic fairy tale twist that’s not too modernized and just as relatable.
Synopsis: Headstrong Princess Lenora lives in a land where people have the power to make their imagination come to life. However, using the power is illegal. Still, Lenora uses her gift all the time, getting her into trouble and betrothed to Prince Coren. Prince Coren is from a land where everyone reads minds and seem to live only by their mind, and he is tired of it. Princess Lenora once again uses her gift to transport herself somewhere else during her wedding. She realizes that Prince Coren has been transported with her and they must put up with each other during their time on this strange land.
It’s a really exciting read.

More Minds, the sequel to Of Two Minds, is also pretty good, and reminded me slightly of Enchanted and Coraline (though not as dark as Coraline). I absolutely loved how the strange sudden occurances that happened without explanation throughout the book were references to modern times [spoil](motorcycles, cash, streets, bicycles, etc.).[/spoil] It was funny and quite more light-hearted than the first book. It’s also a surprise when you find out that the book actually takes place [spoil]in the future, despite its medieval culture[/spoil].

Here Is My Review On Maniac Magge
A GREAT book. I love how they describe him and how all he wants is a family and a home. I love how Maniac and Mars hate each other, they like each other in the end. It was really sad when [spoil] Grayson died and Maniac talked about his parents[/spoil] It was really sad too. I’d give the book a 9/10. [spoil]A friend of mine told me they are making a movie :smiley: [/spoil]

They were making a movie 15 years ago when I first read that. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Holy Crap Really? :open_mouth: Wow

I thought the movie was pretty cool at first, Halos Nach Tariff. Then I read the book it was based on and realised they have taken an epic saga of one scientist’s encounters with robots throughout her lifetime and turned it into a standard police procedural action-thriller. I even heard Mr. Asimov didn’t endorse the movie version, saying the robots “weren’t meant to be violent” or that Hollywood made it so… something to that effect. :confused:

Space Station Rat reminded me of the Turing Test, except with a rat! :open_mouth: Sounds interesting, BDD. I also am intrigued by Of Two Minds.

A book which I picked up from my local library last year but unfortunately gave up halfway was Naomi Novik’s dragon fantasy epic His Majesty’s Dragon. It’s the first in the Temaraire series, and I have plans to restart it this summer (or here in the southern hemisphere, winter). How do I describe it? It’s like Patrick O’ Brian (Napoleonic war fiction) met Anne McCaffrey (dragon fantasy adventures). The action is thrilling, the characters are appealing, the world they inhabit is detailed and yet expansive… The plot even hints at occupational discrimination as the human protagonist, having to switch careers from the Navy to become an ‘Aviator’, gets increasingly ostracized by his friends and family. Being a dragon handler is not exactly a dream job for many in Novik’s world, due to the occupational hazards and long time spent away from their loved ones. But yeah, it is really, really good, and it’s been a long time (not since I read His Dark Materials two-three years ago) since I read an awesome work of fantasy fiction. If this was to be made into a movie, I would sooo watch it! Seriously! :smiley:

Brian Jacques’ novel Redwall is also another book I remembered reading a few years ago. The rest of the books in his series are also good (although I have not read them in their entirety like his first one), but Redwall remains the first and best of them all. Lots of swashbuckling action, courageous heroes, nasty villains, and most importantly, tons of food and wine! Oh, and the characters are all little woodland creatures. :wink:

Lorenzo Carcaterra’s epic crime saga Gangster is also one of my close favourites. It’s a sweeping tale across the decades, of one “made-man”, his rise through the criminal ranks from Italian immigrant to lord of the underworld, and how his actions have repercussions on his enemies and loved ones. It’s a crime thriller, a love story, and a gut-wrenching morality play (you’ll actually root for the villain, our protagonist) all rolled into one Cuban cigar and lighted with a Molotov. Comparisons to Mr Puzo’s Godfather are inevitable, but Mr Carcaterra stands on his own with a powerful story, characters you care about, and a ruthless time and place that was just no so long ago. This is not for the faint-hearted.

Ok, Ok, Ok…

I love I, Robot as a sci-fi/action film. I don’t think it’s that true to the book either, but how could it be when the book is mostly short stories? Anyway, I think it’s a smarter film than most of its kind, and I loved every minute of I, Robot!!!

That’s my 2 cents. :wink:

Well, you’ve gotta admit, Will Smith made one heck of a [spoil]cyborg-cop[/spoil]! Action scenes were not bad, too. :slight_smile: