Pigeon: Impossible • a Pixar-level short film

So if you like great short films, or if you were a fan of The Incredibles (which, let’s face it, you’re on PixarPlanet), then you’ll love this animated short film that I found, Pigeon: Impossible.

It took the director 4/5 years to make this, and the hard work shows. The film is “the tale of Walter, a rookie secret agent faced with a problem seldom covered in basic training: what to do when a curious pigeon gets trapped inside your multi-million dollar, government-issued nuclear briefcase”, and it’s awesome. I can definitely see Pixar doing some hires off of this one :wink:

Watch it!
[url]http://www.pigeonimpossible.com/[/url]

It is not a “Pixar level animation” in any way. Far from it…

HAHA, that was brilliant! Hilarious, and excellent animation and visuals. Not exactly “Pixar quality”, but it was really, really good. :laughing:

Wowsers! :smiley: That was really good for an animated short that wasn’t from a major animation studio! Like eerik & Bryko614 said, that it isn’t really “Pixar quality” at all. However, I do agree that some of the people who worked on this could possibly get hired by Pixar. Hopefully, this director will be making more of these shorts! (even though they take about 4-5 years to make, I can be patient :slight_smile: )

yeah, I guess I meant on a storytelling level - I liked it a lot more than ‘Dug’s Special Mission’!

But not more than Pixar’s “real” shorts, as I think of the ones that are released theatrically

I’ve actually been following its development since a month or two ago, the creator posted some very informative “Behind-The-Scenes”/“Making-Of” videos that I enjoyed watching. I haven’t been able to watch it on its release since I was studying for exams at that time, but I just watched it a few minutes ago, and it was nothing short of incredible.

I’ll agree with most of you here that this isn’t “Pixar-quality”, but the fact that this was made by one man (with the help of a few others) is amazing enough. Having worked on animation pieces before, I can tell you for an independent producer to churn out this level of work actually takes ages! (I believe he said this was a few years in the making!)

The story is Pixar-level, for sure. Short and simple, and I loved the twist ending which I didn’t see coming (although you feel a bit bad after laughing :stuck_out_tongue:). Animation is good, I liked the pigeon’s in particular, the guy did his homework. The only criticism I’ll make is that Walter himself is not very reactive; maybe it’s part of his character, but I would’ve liked him to show more expressions and move around a bit more (he looks suprisingly calm and puzzled throughout most of the movie).

Set design is great, love how he actually modeled the police cruisers based on the Washington ones. Special effects top-notch with the explosion particles and bullets and whatnot.

Overall, it’s freakin’ fantastic! I’d love to see this guy get picked by Pixar or any of the big studios. Otherwise, I wouldn’t mind another episode of Walter Beckett’s adventures! :smiley:

There is an interview with Lucas Martell in the latest 3D world magazine. He says how he was originally inspired by the pixar shorts but after being on the festival circuit for a while he is looking towards independant animators for inspiration. I think I would prefer to see him create some more shorts rather then being picked up by a big studio.

I just saw it. Great short film, for being independent and all. Even though it was a great film, I don’t know if I’ll remember it 2 years from now. Amazing nonetheless. :slight_smile:

really good! it was funny, but not in a pixar level, and theres a TINY problem with the last part

HOW DO YOU BLOW UP A NUCLEAR BOMB AND THE EXPLOSION DOESN T KILL YOU!

That was great! Amazing for a first try.

Don’t be too harsh guys. The animation certainly isn’t up to Pixar level, but the storytelling is really great.