Pixar Planet

Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

Postby YouUnculturedSwine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:33 am

That Buzz looks pretty cool, though 30cm seems a bit small, and the wings/paint definitely look inferior to the TSC version. I hope we see one sometime that is a true answer to the Medicom Woody.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the Bo Peep options out there. I have the TSC one, but what's the best one of the TS4 look? I keep seeing people talk about a JC Penny one, but it seems like there's also tons of Thinkway ones? Can anyone summarize the pros and cons?

Speaking of the TSC one, I just got the target lamp, and it makes me more disappointed in the TSC one. For $100, we couldn't have gotten a lamp, or at least arms that could hold her cane the way she does in the film? I can't help but feel like Thinkway really cheaped out for this one.
What are you looking at you hockey puck?
YouUnculturedSwine
Garbage Boy

Postby Dinoco » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:50 am

No that definitely is small. It's no coincidence that the full-size Buzz Lightyear figures that Thinkway made with Pixar's involvement were always the same size. I wouldn't call it a replica for that and other reasons; it fits into the same niche as the posable Revoltech figure.

It does share some similarities with Medicom's Ultimate Woody though; moveable eyes and added articulation are a big selling point for collectors. Still, you can never truly replicate the functionality of the onscreen Buzz Lightyear (although this release seems to capture the full range of motion). It's a good move to have the helmet fully removable, but they probably should have done the same with the wings since it is physically impossible to have them expand and retract the way they do in the film. Even folded up like the TSC version, they don't reach the full width seen in the film.

For a perfect replica, the electronic elements are doable for Buzz. Wings, karate chop action, and helmet are not. I think so far, the Disney Store Buzz probably has the most play features integrated, even if it has its limits.
Dinoco
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Laker » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:33 pm

I went to see TS4 on Saturday, and I noticed they were giving away Hamm popcorn buckets for $19.99 with popcorn. I didn't get it, but I will next time I go. He seems to be fairly accurate in terms of scale, and he's the only one that I can currently find for cheap that's (almost) the correct size. As a plus, we works like a real piggy bank!

I know he seems a bit weird, but like I said, it's the best one I can find for the time being.
Laker
Ant

Postby Cleanmonk » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:41 pm

I recently finished up editing woody's voice box sayings, the only one I am unable to edit to sound clean is the wagon train one. but with toy story 4 using the line, I think im going to try and rip it from that when it comes to blu ray.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zdCci1ZRzA
Cleanmonk
Mutant Toy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 pm

YouUnculturedSwine wrote:I'm a bit overwhelmed by the Bo Peep options out there. I have the TSC one, but what's the best one of the TS4 look? I keep seeing people talk about a JC Penny one, but it seems like there's also tons of Thinkway ones? Can anyone summarize the pros and cons?

IF you can find it, the Disney Store Bo Peep seems like the clear winner. It has a fabric bow, instead of plastic. It has the double sided cape, with lace detail. The wrapping on her cane / crook is painted (instead of being left blue plastic). The lace on her bodice is real instead of being painted on. The pantaloons and cap sleeves have much more accurate stitched detail. And the white bandage is much more detailed.

I'd be buying that version IF we had Disney Stores in Australia (or IF Disney didn't charge $51 shipping on a $35 toy).
Agent 86
Garbage Boy

Postby Cleanmonk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 pm

just wanted to post an update on the buzz box progress, the front is almost done! im also wanting to start doing other things like the bed spreads and other things like that.
Cleanmonk
Mutant Toy

Postby LinkStory » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 am

Is anyone interested in buying a Disney Store / JC Penny Bo Peep for 40 bucks? My JC penny had two left so I had to snag the last two of them.
LinkStory
Ant

Postby Dinoco » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am

Looks great, Cleanmonk. Let me know if you need any help with reference pictures

Cleanmonk wrote:I recently finished up editing woody's voice box sayings, the only one I am unable to edit to sound clean is the wagon train one. but with toy story 4 using the line, I think im going to try and rip it from that when it comes to blu ray.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zdCci1ZRzA

Sounds like the best move, I was pleasantly surprised to find that quote finally make a return. Though they did break apart the yee-haw from the rest of the phrase.

One thing I noticed with your clips is the pitches change pretty noticeably. I suppose this was an effect by Pixar to show that the speed was not consistent when his voice box was playing. It sounds like they mainly started doing this after the first movie.
Dinoco
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby LinkStory » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Does anyone know about these Potato Head candy dispensers? They look really good, however they’re only 5.5 inches tall. How tall is the TSC potato head? (Factoring in that an accurate potato head would have its legs shortened? Are these noticeably shorter and not worth it?
Attachments
0F027BFF-2876-4AC0-B4AE-768A1E60E0EE.jpeg
0F027BFF-2876-4AC0-B4AE-768A1E60E0EE.jpeg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
LinkStory
Ant

Postby tommyboa » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Take a look at page 543 of this thread please.
tommyboa

Postby Cleanmonk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:52 pm

starting a new little project; making a small version of the toy box out of one of those craft treasure chest you can get at a craft store. it won't be the super accurate (The box itself is the wrong shape), but I wanted to start a project where I can practice my painting skills. Besides, I can also put my Mr.Shark inside :roll:
Cleanmonk
Mutant Toy

Postby kat1711 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:57 am

Hi everyone!

Been lurking this community for a while and have finally joined after seeing people active again after TS4.

I was after any recommendations on custom replicas and sellers
as I'm looking to add some characters to my collection that don't have official releases.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
kat1711

Postby gabgarde2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 am

Ok so the new Signature Collection Duke Caboom JUST dropped on the Target website, and now it's sold out??

https://www.target.com/p/toy-story-sign ... A-75565827

Does anyone here already have one?
gabgarde2
Ant

Postby gabgarde2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:51 am

Hi all, just wanted to share my new customised Woody. He's not perfect, but he's the closest I can get to a movie-accurate Woody at the moment. A smaller pull-ring and a larger badge would be great. He's the Soft and Huggable Woody head on a Disney Store body, which a lot of people have already done... but I added some paint details on the head, which I haven't seen anyone else do. It makes a huge difference!
Woody112.jpg
Woody112.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 6.44.06 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 6.44.06 pm.jpg (130.43 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 6.46.47 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 6.46.47 pm.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Smudged some red onto his cheeks and lips (the paint on his lips is more prominent in the later films), and attempted to paint in his hair highlights. Also added gloss varnish onto his eyes, because they seemed flat. I tried to match the TSC Woody's eyes in terms of glossiness. If they had just put his eyebrows at the same height, this headsculpt would be perfect! I did paint the hatband and the "string" on the Soft and Huggable's hat; but for these pictures, I decided to use my TSC hat.
gabgarde2
Ant

Postby Dinoco » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 am

Holy cow, I didn't know they made that variation of Woody, but that expression is a HUGE improvement from what we've been given. Wouldn't even be that hard to correct the eyebrows, but it looks great as is.

It's a pretty good choice for parts because the Disney Store doll has the original and film accurate 1995 hands. The fabrics aren't great, but at least the arm seams aren't sewn at a weird angle like the Toy Story Collection version is.

Unfortunately, the only source for a correct pullstring loop is the first edition Posable Pull-String Woody, which was recalled for safety reasons. Not really a viable solution (unless you happen to find one for parts secondhand).
Dinoco
AXIOM Crewmember

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Story