Up - Crowd Report!

I saw it. It was crowded but not full. There was some Aww’s but noo cheers. It was mostly laughter.

Lots of laughter, with quite a bit of soft chatter from little kids. But, Like Carl tuning out Russel during the storm, I tuned them out.

Well, said I was going to my so-called “best” theatre in town. Bought my ticket a day in advance. Got there twenty minutes before showing, and it was completely packed. I had to sit on the staircase and the only other time I had to do that was during the premiere of Spider-Man. Kids were laughing, people constantly got up, and whenever I tried to get a seat, someone always kept saying “Oh, I’m sorry sweetie, that seat’s taken.”

Other than that, they were an okay crowd.

I saw it in 3-D at my local AMC. I was surprised that there were a lot of theaters had it in 3-D (unlike Bolt). It was packed! I had one of the last empty seats in the theater and I came about an hour before hand. There was a lot of laughter especially at Partly Cloudy. When the movie ended everyone cheered so i’d say the crowd was pretty good.

Early this morning there was a private, orchestra-only screening for orchestra members and their familes… not on the Disney lot (as had been the case with Ratatouille), but at a nice theatre in the Valley. Normal, (not 3D), but Michael thanked us, and a poster was raffled off (the pianist won).

This evening, went to a dinner-time screening (6pm) and saw it in 3D with some friends. The cinema was showing both normal and 3D, and the 3D auditorium was a smaller one, but almost every seat was taken (there might have been 5 empty seats, every other one was full). There was one large group of kids, some parents with kids – and at least 1/3rd to 1/2 the audience was just adults. Everyone loved it… clapped and really laughed at the jokes, really getting into it. The kids (some young ones that might normally be antsy in a movie) were absolutely engrossed throughout (this was the most surprising thing). No kids (not even the young ones) asking for candy, figiting, or anything else, except watching the movie 100%. Surprisngly, a large percentage (much more so than normal) of people stayed all the way through to the very end of the credits. Walking out, there was a nice line waiting for the next showing.

I went back for Trip 3 this afternoon (2nd 2D viewing). I loved the movie every bit as much this time, and we had a great audience! Not much bigger than yesterday (same noon-hour showtime), maybe 40% full today - but sitting in front of me were three senior ladies; in my row, to my left, was an older (60s?) couple, and to my right was a girl of probably 9 or 10 with (I presume) her Dad and Grandpa. There were still families with young kids, but I was even more aware this time of adults (of various ages) there without children. Again, lots of good reactions, and the kids were very attentive, and everyone seemed to really enjoy the film. The ladies in front of me loved it, and the “grandpa” of the group next to me said, as we were filing out, “That was an excellent movie!”

My favorite reaction from the ladies in front of me, who were clearly coming in “spoiler-free”: [spoil]after Carl has first taken off, and is relaxing in his chair, when the knock at the door comes, one of the ladies whispers, as if she has just realized this: “Oh, it’s going to be the little boy!”[/spoil] I thought that was cute.

I had a quite unresponsive audience. They laughed and cooed during Partly Cloudy, and somewhat during the actual movie. They were just really quiet. Someone did gasp once, though.
In the end, I was the only one there at the end of the credits. Even the family members who were with me had left the theater! I was going to start an applause at the end, but since the only other people there were about five ushers, I did it very quietly…

Viewing 1: It was about 75% full. Laughter was abundant! Not many children, but there was a crying baby at one moment. Everyone was generally really into the film.

Viewing 2: This was very full, about 85-90%! This crowd was even more responsive, with one woman gasping twice during the opening sequences. A couple of children, including one who was annoyingly repeating some of the lines loudly. One woman was laughing so hard you could probably hear it outside the theater. :laughing: Again, everyone was reeeally into it. :slight_smile:

Oh man, I had a BUNCH of kids at my theater.
It was OK, I guess, but I really don’t like watching a movie with kids.

One girl cried when [spoil]Carl was looking at the adventure book[/spoil] and this kid kept repeating almost everything Russel said. Why do kids do that, anyway.?

I saw it in 3D, and I was glad they showed Partly Cloudy, because when I saw WALL•E, they skipped Presto completely.

The 3D was good, it wasn’t that gimmicky 3D most films have (constantly throwing objects at the screen). Also, tons of parents cheered when the Toy Story 3 teaser came on. Children not so much :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine was was a mix when the TS3 trailer came on. Some were cheers, some said wow, and guess what? Some kids said Boo.

BOO?

How could you say that. But I was extremely happy when it came one.

Maybe he/she wasn`t a Toy Story fan?

I cannot wait to see the box office numbers for this weekend.

I went for Trip #4 today. The 2D Stadium presentation had moved down to one of the smaller stadiums (still fair sized), but it was probably 80% full. Lots of families, but there were an older couple and a 20-something couple in my row, and other adults without kids in the audience. Again, the audience seemed responsive and appreciative (someone even applauded a little when Dug [spoil]realized he was now the “Alpha Dog.”[/spoil]) I think the word of mouth must really be working on this.

OMG!

I JUST LITERALLY GOT IN MY HOUSE FROM SEEING UP! IT WAS THE MOST AMAIZING MOVIE EVER! IT BROKE MY WALL-E SCALE!!!( I used to rate movie’s on a scale of 1-Wall-E, but Up broke the Wall-E scale!)

I cried during it, it was so amaizing! I couldn’t stop smiling! I still can’t stop smiling!

The musical score was so amaizing. It set the emotional mood for the movie PERFECTLY!

The character developement was also excellent! Everyone in my theater couldn’t stop laughing, and a lot even cried. My neighbor that went to see it did!

I was so into the story line I would gasp with the characters, cry with them, laugh with them, and I really felt emotionaly attached to this film!

I would see it another 50 times if I had the money…

wow.

the only thing that could have made it better was if it was in 3D. There weren’t any 3D Theaters near me… :frowning:

again…WOW. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Trip #5 - and the Best Audience EVER! Good-sized stadium, maybe 70% full, and I honestly think the families-with-small-children were in the minority. Very aware of more mature adults, young adults, teens, saw a couple of very large multi-generational family groups (like maybe 10 people each - those included young kids). And the audience loved the movie! It was obvious a lot of them were seeing it for the first time, and coming in with minimal spoilers. I can’t remember the last time I heard so much adult laughter in a movie theatre. And you could hear a popcorn kernel drop in the quiet moments - followed by some audible sniffles here and there. There were some appropriate "awww"s here and there, too. Walking out, I was aware of people exchanging remarks about how good the movie was and how much they enjoyed it.

Couple of amusing audience reactions:

When we hear Dug’s first lines (the “are you all right/I can smell you” lines), several scattered kids were saying “It’s the dog!” “The dog!”. At one point, where Muntz first starts to show his threatening side, some little kid said, “He’s mean!” And, when the voice credits started to roll, someone in the row behind me exclaimed, “Oh, Christopher Plummer!” Like she knew that Muntz had to be voiced by some familiar actor, but didn’t know until then who it was.

Anyway, the movie was still great, and I’m eager again to see box office numbers for this week.

I’ve seen Up five times now. I think it was the third time I saw it, and the whole experience just felt so… magical.

The theater I went to had such a charming atmosphere: only one screen, an organ was played before the movie started, and the actual building was old, very old, which gave it such a lovely, nostalgic aura.

The town was having another one of its weekly summer classic car nights, so there were a lot of people who went to the movie. I bought my tickets a few hours before, and when we went back to the theater, there was a line stretched outside the building for tickets. There was a lot of audience participation: clapping at the end, laughing, etc. It was quiet for the rest of the movie, well, relatively quiet. Wrappers were crinkled and popcorn was eaten.

Next Sunday I’ll (hopefully) get to go again.

I actually never really saw it with a lot of people, I kinda wish I had. Kinda funny when you realize how many times I’ve gone. It was always a bit better watching it with someone else, their reactions rub off on me. A friend of mine laughed at like EVERY scene, and I did as well as a result. Cried I laughed so hard at one of em, and this was like the 10th time I had seen it.

There is one advantage to seeing it alone though (I had the theater to myself 2 or 3 times), you get to geek out, sing, and quote all the lines however you want. I actually ended up making the same expressions as some of the characters and didn’t realize it until later. :stuck_out_tongue: So much fun.

You guys are making me miss this movie, I haven’t gone this long without it since the first week! I’m starting to get withdrawls,… SQUIRREL!

Seeing it in such a small crowd (I posted this in another thread, but I was one of 7 people in the theatre this past Saturday), I did catch some things I hadn’t before - like why Kevin pats Carl on the head. Another thing I’d never been able to hear before - [spoil]you can actually hear what Russell is saying when Carl has his hearing aid turned down and they’re heading for the storm.[/spoil]

Yeah, I’d heard some of that in most of my early viewings, but I couldn’t interpret the part where he says [spoil]“We’re gonna get blown to bits!”[/spoil] for quite a while. Took me some time to get that one line down, tough to hear right.

I did have one encounter with this middle aged man in the audience that laughed EVERYWHERE, but I loved it.

Oh, of course. I’d love to see it by myself. :smiley: The smallest group I’ve ever been with was a couple of moms taking their children. One of the kids was so cute, she asked a few questions to her mom during the movie. [spoil]Like when we see that Ellie is infertile, the little girl asked “why is she sad? What happened?” D’awww ;_;[/spoil]

During that viewing I could also hear [spoil]Russell’s warning when the storm comes[/spoil] a little clearer. Still didn’t catch everything, though.

Went to Trip #7 tonight (I actually went to the theatre to buy my Harry Potter ticket for Saturday, and used that as an excuse to see Up again!).

It was back to 2D, and in a small, non-stadium auditorium. This was a “dinner hour” start time, and when I got there, I was the only person in the theatre. At some point (I think during Partly Cloudy, but not sure), a couple of other people came in. They sat a few rows behind me, and I never saw them; I think they were a couple of women (or maybe a mom and teen-or-older daughter, or…?). There were at least two (and probably only two) of them, and the only voices I heard were female. They chuckled quietly at a few things. They left before I did (and I just sat through the “photos” at the start of the credits).

Famous last words, but I think I’m done for now. I’d love to see the movie a bunch more times, but I miss having the big, responsive audience. Maybe when it gets to the second run/bargain house, I can see it again with a good audience.