Up - Crowd Report!

Ha-ha! That’s great. There have been similar, if not identical, reactions during the times I’ve gone to see the film as well, particularly during the moment when we first hear Dug’s voice. Two of my favorite comments by kids were these:

[spoil]When Dug and Kevin were curled up during the campfire sequence, with Kevin holding one leg up, a youngin’ said, “A flamingo!” Another time, when Russell said, “With this baby, we’ll never be lost!” and then lost his GPS, a young girl said, “Now they’re lost”. Kids’ reactions are the best. Heheh.[/spoil]

– Mitch

Trip #8! (Probably the last. Famous last words…) Small, non-stadium theatre at my favorite multiplex. We had an audience! About 30 people, maybe. That’s the advantage of going to the late afternoon show, especially since they’re doing only 2 shows a day (matinees only). There were some adult women in the row behind me, toward the other end, who were obviously first timers and seemed mainly spoiler-free; they loved it, and laughed at all the funny parts. I think one of them was ready to take Russell home with her. :slight_smile:

I went and saw UP the day it was released.

There was a small crowd in the theater…perhaps 14 people total. But it was High School Graduation night, so I suspect that played a part. I was surprised to see there were only two kids in the entire audience, and more elderly couples.
I had actually went in alone, but some of the elderly couples seated themselves near me, we got to talking about the film and other Pixar greats ( =D ) and we sorta shifted into watching it together. Pretty cool. They laughed at every part I did, cried at the same parts, and even cheered at the TS3 commercial.

Good times, haha.

I just got back from my Advanced Screening of Up (3 weeks ahead of the general release), and my Crowd Report was certainly memorable!

For one thing, it began with a crisis! Yes, the dreaded Murphy’s Law strikes again… lemme explain.

Firstly, I arrived at the theatre late (I got up later than expected, and entered the lobby exactly at 11, after taking a cab). The ‘jump the queue’ queue was ironically longer than the walk-in line, but I took my chances. I didn’t print the ticket cos’ they said you can just quote the customer reference number (and I actually planned to arrive at the cinema earlier just in case they needed me to print it and I could then run to the Internet cafe downstairs). But all the folks in front of me were clutching printed receipts! :open_mouth: Needless to say, I was nervous. I didn’t want to miss the trailers, much less the short or opening sequence! :shake:

Thankfully, the box-office guy accepted my quotation and printed the ticket and handed the glasses to me then. I got through the usher and entered the theatre, expecting to hear the ads or something, but the pre-show screenings hadn’t even started! This was about ten minutes after the scheduled start-time. So I sat in my seat in the back-row to the left of this kid (He was British judging from his accent) and his family, with a spare seat to my right. A plump young woman with glasses was breathing heavily to the right of that spare seat. Crowd turnout was pretty good, almost all of the seats were taken save for a few rows at the front, so folks here must have been as enthusiastic as me to watch this early.

So I lay back, and the lights dimmed about a few minutes later. They started with the awful Aliens in the Attic trailer, but right about the same time the first reel played, loud static noise screamed out of the speakers (the kind you hear when a TV channel has poor reception and the screen’s all fuzzed). So the noise overpowered the original trailer’s audio (thank goodness for that!), but after it finished playing, they cut the projector. Then a service rep came out and apologised to the audience. He explained “this was the first time they are playing this movie in Digital 3-D in Sydney” and that they were encountering “technical difficulties with the download” (because digital movies play off a server instead of an actual film reel). So he asked us to sit tight for five minutes while they sorted out the problem. For the next few minutes, they played the Aliens in the Attic trailer and the Disney intro logo repeatedly, but the noise still remained. Then they cut the projector once again and ‘radioed’ each other while people squirmed in their seats.

After a while (it was almost half past by then) he came out again and announced they were trying “last-ditch attempts”, and needed “five more minutes”, failing which “we will be asked to leave and collect our comps (I assume he meant compensations)”. He apologised once again, and told us if it got fixed, that they would skip straight to the main feature without the trailers. I was praying it would work, to have waited for this day only to be offered a refund or worse yet, a replacement ticket would be a real disappointment. I took the opportunity to pop out to get a Coke from the snacks bar.

When I came back, the screen was still a black-out. Upon settling back into my seat, the Disney intro logo once again played, on mute. You can smell the tension in the air, it was palpable! Everybody was holding their breath, probably willing the sound system to work. After several tense seconds, the all-familiar tune of ‘When You Wish Upon a Star’ suddenly blared out, and the whole theatre burst into cheers and applause! It was almost magical and as I would later tell my brother, “something straight out of a movie”, and whether it was because of Disney’s ‘magic touch’ or the collective prayers of the entire audience, I’ll never know. :slight_smile:

Anyway, the feature started proper (I was really disappointed they didn’t play Partly Cloudy, probably due to the loss of time. At least I’ll have it to look forward to for my repeat viewing…) and everyone fell silent. It was fun to see the Pixar logo in 3-D (complete with opening swivel) for the first time.

There were a lot of ‘awws’ with [spoil]the young Carl at the theatre scene[/spoil]. The first big laugh came when [spoil]Carl fell through the floorboards[/spoil]. Everyone fell deathly quiet during the beautiful [spoil]Carl/Ellie montage[/spoil], although I didn’t hear anyone cry loudly. There were a mostly a lot of chuckles throughout the movie, a couple of cooing when [spoil]Kevin cuddled Russell[/spoil], and the occasional howls of laughter for the more hilarious moments (which were mostly from the trailer, and for some reason, elicited huge laughs with this crowd. Maybe they went in having not watched it or knowing little about the film). A couple of big audience reactions I could remember off the top of my head were when [spoil]Carl imagined Russell’s death, Kevin ate Carl’s walker, Dug’s first “Squirrel!”, Alpha’s squeaky voice, Russell being dragged across the windshield, and Carl and Muntz twisting their backs while fighting[/spoil]. The reactions I heard the most came from that plump woman one seat apart right of me.

There was one point during the poignant turning point scene where [spoil]Carl learns from Ellie’s message to “have his own adventure”[/spoil] that someone’s phone chose to rang. It was annoying, and snapped me and possibly other moviegoers out of the ‘mood’.

But overall, this crowd was more reactive and appreciative of the movie (probably because the ones who actually bothered to pay and make time for an advance on a Sunday morning have to be devoted fans to some point), and was quite ‘well-behaved’. Some of them (including Brit kid and family) even stayed back till Luxo switched off (with Brit kid complaining there was no after-credits scene).

When I exited the theatre later, a guy was even humming the ‘Carl Goes Up’ theme outside the toilets! So in the end, I was a bit miffed about the technical issue which led to missed opportunities to see possible G-Force, Princess and the Frog and maybe a trailer or two from 9 and Cloudy Meatballs, and especially the short Partly Cloudy, but other than that, my ‘peripheral experience’ outside of the movie itself was quite okay (No crying babies or yobbos). Needless to say, I was quite pleased with the bunch whom I shared my experience with. :slight_smile:

Great crowd report! What an experience, with all the technical difficulties :open_mouth: , but I’m glad you got to see the movie. It’s fun to see it with a good crowd. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Awesome crowd report. It’s a bummer that you missed PC, it’s pretty good. Not their best in my eyes, but it’s good.

I CAN’T BELIEVE that someone’s phone went off during that scene. That’s my big scene, it’s so heartrending. I have yet to survive that scene with out pouring a multitude of tears down my face, it’s impossible. That right there should have been reason enough to let you watch the whole movie again, he should have apologized.

I liked your whole story, and that’s awesome that the whole theater started cheering, I’d love to end up in a group like that.

I’m, oddly enough, getting some rather substantial crowds in my trips to the dollar theater. My second viewing 2 days ago (well, it was my 28th, but the second one that day,…) had a really incredible crowd, there was even applause at the end, and I didn’t even start it! My fandom leaked a bit, and people in my vicinity learned of my geekiness. They loved the film as well, some parts, there was a guy in front of me that would start making gestures at the screen, like pointing and waving his arm, a so called “awesome” motion. He seemed to like it a lot in particular. The girl sitting next to me would burst into ridiculous laughter at a lot of parts too. It was loud.

That was my first really good crowd, and there were about 30 people when I went yesterday, which was great.They were really quiet though. A lady sitting next to me noticed me mouthing lines though, and she smiled at me, it was pretty funny. I tried to start an applause, and an 8 year old kid next to me joined in, but it never grew. Bummer.

Yeah, you’d think GU at least would have had a test run the night before as is customary for new releases, but I don’t know why they stuffed this up. I wasn’t too annoyed though, gave me a chance to catch my breath and grab a drink, so I’m okay. :slight_smile:

I know, right? :angry: You’d think these twits would’ve learned to turn off their phones by now… I felt like bopping the fool on the head with Carl’s walker! :laughing:

Interesting to read your crowd reactions, Chris. It seems most of your fellow audience members are either as enthusiastic as you or are repeat viewers, again like you. Nice!

Great report, Rachel! Too bad it’s not full house, but you enjoyed it very much, aren’t ya? Wow, now we’re waiting for the UK’s & Japan’s crowd report. Barely can wait though!

BTW, did you cry?

Thanks, wannabechef91!

Um, I didn’t cry, but I almost did (my eyes watered) during [spoil]the married life montage at the beginning[/spoil] and at the end [spoil]when after Carl let the house fall down through the clouds, and it had still made its way back to the treasured spot by Paradise Falls[/spoil]. I suspect that next time I see Up is when the waterworks will start. =')

thedriveintheatre - btw, I loved reading your report! What excitement and near-catastrophe at your screening! Yeah, [spoil]the Pixar logo in 3D[/spoil], even though I had read about it here beforehand, totally slipped my mind so it was like “Aaaawesome!” and the [spoil]sparkly Disney 3D logo[/spoil] is just magical, isn’t it? Cloudy Meatballs - lol!

Great crowd report, Rachel; thanks for sharing. In the US, I think we got the Princess & the Frog trailer only at the 2D screenings; we got the TS3 teaser at the 3D screenings (but nothing for the 3D release of TS1/TS2).

You have Subway in Australia? Good grief, those things are everywhere! They’re getting to be more numerous than McDonald’s!

I’m so jealous. :stuck_out_tongue:

I got mine handed at the counter, although there were crates of spares at the theatre entrance. They didn’t collect ours at the end, so I just took mine home too.

Haha, I smuggle Hungry Jacks in my bag (or my friends’, if I didn’t bring mine) all the time. Yesterday when I went to watch Pelham, I even carried a Sundae and Coke in the open (although I held it by my side to look inconspicuous) past the usher. I guess if you do it quietly and they have a lot of people to handle, you can sneak some in without 'em noticing. :slight_smile:

I’m quite ‘fascinated’ with the pre-showing ‘ritual’. My cineplex used to play the still images, but not anymore (probably because it’s a city branch, and more dough can be made screening big-time ads than small-businesses). Now they’ll screen the big-time ads (I used to love the ‘Jump the Queue’ guy who acts like a movie-star :laughing: But now they play the ‘spot the movie’ Cinebuzz ad), followed by random small-time trailers, then they dim the lights and pull back the curtains and play a ‘major’ trailer (usually a main attraction targeted to the specific audience), then the movie begins proper.

I saw that before my Harry Potter IMAX screening. It was pretty creepy for me too.

I’m sick of these phone-people. Why is it they can set aside time to watch a movie and yet can’t be separated from their mobiles? Granted, it could always be an emergency, but 99% of the time, they’re responding to a call from their friends asking their whereabouts. I think cinemas should start implementing ‘phone jammers’ (with exceptions made for 911, or 000 calls).

Rant aside, it’s great that your fellow audience members enjoyed the movie, Rachel.

I’m sorta caught between wanting to cry and fear of social embarrassment (since most likely my repeat viewing will be with friends). But if it happens, it happens, I’m not gonna force it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Grr… karly05, I’m so jealous of you guys! :smiley: Why did my theatre have to stuff-up? :frowning:

Well, I saw it at 4:00pm yesterday in 3D. The cinema was half-empty, despite it being opening day, but that might be something to do with the time of the showing. The audience seemed to consist mainly of young adults and teenagers, and a few children too.

Trailers shown included Planet 51 and a few others, like the new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, as well as the trailer for A Christmas Carol, with some truly stunning 3D effects. Nothing about Toy Story, though I wasn’t surprised to be honest.

The reception to Partly Cloudy was lukewarm, but throughout Up there was plenty of laughter and even a few "aww"s at certain emotional moments. The audience seemed pretty settled, though there was one child near the front who made a few noises and didn’t seem to understand the moment when we see [spoil]Ellie and Carl in hospital when they find out that she can’t have a baby[/spoil], but as a whole there wasn’t too much disturbance.

No applause or noticeable comments at the end of the movie, though the British cinema-going audience always seems so reserved and I’ve never seen a movie which has garnered an applause at the cinema, so it wasn’t surprising. A lot of people stayed right through the ending credits so it looked like there were definitely some Pixar fans there (especially a row of students who looked like they might be attending the local college for art or media or something creative).

As a whole, it was a comfortable viewing. I’m planning on seeing Up again on Wednesday and in the evening, so because of Orange Wednesdays and the time, I expect it to be a full house.