2012: The Best Year in Film Industry???

That’s a good question. I haven’t heard anything about it, but the movie is aimed at an older audience than that of Ponyo, Arietty, or the other Ghibli movies released in America with the help of Disney. Some citations on Wikipedia say that the Japanese audience is 87% 16 and older. It also has no elements of fantasy, so I’m guessing it will get a limited release similar to Tales from Earthsea—if anything.

EDIT

Oh, but you’re from the UK. That might make things different, but I still think it will get a limited release.

The UK got Arietty last summer but it was limited on release-it was in mainstream cinema for maybe a week-but having said that the DVD seems to be selling well and getting heavily advertised, which is, I am assuming, due to Disney’s help.

Having a look on IMDB, From Up on Poppy Hill got a French release last week, again presumably limited, so I’m hoping we’re not too far behind. No news on US release though :neutral_face: . Alas, I can’t see Disney going all out to promote this one.

I just want Disney to release Only Yesterday in America already. It’s one of Ghibli’s best, too! :unamused:

The only 2012 films I’m excited for are Brave and Lincoln.

:mrgreen: I have Only Yesterday! It’s one of their best, I agree :slight_smile:

I’m jealous. The collector in me is ready to purchase a region-free DVD player and the imported DVD from Japan. :frowning: But I guess that would be an investment since I watch a lot of East Asian films that aren’t available in the US.

The only god movie comiing outr this year is already out–Beauty and the Beast.

Maybe Radio Rebel.

The only other one that could possibly be good is Rise of the Guardians, but knowing Dreamworks, it probably won’t be.

As for Wreck-It Ralph, I wish they would replace Kano with Psyduck…and it’s sure to have video game references I won’t recognize.

I’m probably the only person on Earth who’s looking forward to Chronicle way more than The Dark Knight Rises.

I don’t know, this year looks like too many sequels, spinoffs and genral “Meh” movies. I’m just looking forward to Brave, and Star Trek 2 but thats been pushed into 2013. I’m a trekkie.

Like I said, it’ll probably just be another ordinary year for films.