A feminist reviewer gives the incredibles a bad review

OK, I’ve seen this point made other places, and I just want to point this out: Take it from someone in highschool, “goth hairstyle” is not unique. Most of the kids who do that all have the exact same hair, clothes and makeup and everyone else in their style, which there are a lot of. Its just that–a style. If it was truly unique, it wouldn’t be. Sure, the way she dresses in the end isn’t unique either, but Hot Topic is just as mainstream as American Eagle. Its a lot healthier for her to be a outgoing, social young girl who pulls back her hair and dresses in a way that would attract people to her than a dark shrinking violet (no pun intended, again).

I guess you’re right, Rac. In the very act of being on the fringe, you join others who are already there. :slight_smile: Hmm… good point about being a sociable person than a introvert. Maybe that’s what Tony meant.

I’m still pondering over the eugenics undertone of the film. Are they trying to imply that being a superhero is only gene (or nature)-exculsive, rather than from nurture? Some of my favourite heroes in films are unremarkable characters who are reluctant saviours, like John McClane from Die Hard or Soren from LOTG. Even Spiderman, who is a superhero, is sympathetic to me, because he is really just a college kid trying to earn a living while doing good deeds. And given the choice, he would rather be an ordinary person rather than a superhero, as his crisis of faith in Spiderman 2 showed.

Mr Incredible just wants to be a hero because he has supernatural powers and performing heroic deeds makes him feel good, which is alright I guess. I just didn’t like the way how he was invulnerable and unremorseful to all the deaths (or injuries) to villains he caused, and how they made Syndrome out to be a psychopath, and all the other ordinary heroes like the cops and firemen to be inept and incompetent.

And Helen’s subservient behaviour runs contrary to her earlier feminst beliefs, though she was probably wanting a normal life for the sake of her kids.

I’d don’t really agree with the writers argument. I see the points made, but some of it was completely unfounded, in my opinion. I was gonna go point-by-point, but I’ve got better things to do than waste my time arguing :unamused: . But two things: Helen was not unhappy as a house wife, she acts to be happy with her life and said so herself in the alternate opening; and Violet was better off in the end because she was confident, not because she conformed. Her whole part in the story was a testimony to “different is good,” but the writer is trying to say that she conformed, which is not true. She was simply accepting that it’s okay to be different. She didn’t conform, because she was never what I’d call a Goth. A Goth is proud to dress that way (as I am), Violet was doing it to try to blend in. While the writer was trying to say that she was becoming normal, actually, Violet realizes it’s okay to not blend in. Personally, I think the views were preconceived, the writer even admitted it. But, they’re the her opinions, and that’s okay, I respect it. I’m just stating my opinion. I mean no offence to anyone!

This article is enough to put a WTF expression on Trollmond White’s face.

So we finally found someone worst that armond white :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with Violet Parr completely. And I personally look up to housewives.

I’m going to get it for going here, but that’s too bad. Did you know that scientific studies show that girls hit puberty earlier if their mother has a job? Or even moves out!! Housewives rock, and they’re some of the greatest heroes of all.

I thought Elastigirl kicked @$$ in the movie so these women are just girls who are angry at the world because when they were 3 some little boy stole there cookie lol Incredibles rock and i think its empowers females go Elastigirl :exclamation:

Wow. I guess that lady read waaaay to much into it. I’m not sure why having Helen be a housewife was seen as a bad thing. But I guess thats the way some feminists are. Feminism is about having the right to choose anyway. I’m sure if she wanted to be a career woman she totally could have. But she chose to be a housewife. And there’s no shame in that. Raising a family is a very demanding job.

You’re absolutely right!! And, in Brad’s commentary on one of the deleted scenes, Brad said he wanted Helen to defend being a mother. I wish they’s kept that scene.

I wish Feminists were the way they used to be. I mean, really. They accomplished because they acted, and made a difference, instead of whining. You should find a solution through problem solving, not finger-pointing and fussing.

:astonished: :open_mouth: :imp: This woman is an idiot…Helen has to be one of the greatest female animated characters ever and she was happy being a housewife and a mother…

I love you. :laughing:

:smiley: :sunglasses: Sometimes I hate reviewers they can be soooo stupid…

Especially when they want movies to be “politically correct”

Exactly…its a movie about superheroes…clearly it isnt real life…but that doesnt mean that the reviewers have to hate on it :imp: :frowning:

Yeah, there was a feminist critic who make a imdb account just to bash saw 3D for being offensive to women… :unamused:

Thats dumb :unamused: I love Saw…its about people being tortured and shes concerned with it being offensive to women…?? :open_mouth: what an idiot.

Theres also another one made by the same reviewer of this post that reviewed Finding nemo, i dont wanna post it because its really stupid

I’ll take your word for it. :slight_smile:

I know! I mean, hello it’s a movie, not reality! Some of the greatest animated movies aren’t politically correct. (like Three Caballeros and Song of the South)

I totally agree with you guys. It’s a cartoon, not a political science video. Besides, I’m female, and I found The Incredibles anything but offensive. <3 :laughing: