A feminist reviewer gives the incredibles a bad review

Thank you. And Amen! Housewives are awesome! My mom works, but she has too. I love it when she’s home! (Which is most of the time, because she even works nights so we can be together while Dad’s working.) I totally agree!

My mom used to work, but now she’s in college. I liked her better for the short period of time where she was always home. Life was easier, and it gets really depressing now. :frowning:

In my view feminism is about choice. Basically, someone should be allowed to do what they want to do on the basis of their ability to do so rather than perhaps prevented from doing so on the basis of gender or race or any other form of difference or division which really wasn’t matter or affect their ability to do the job.

This includes housekeeping. If a woman, through her own choice and desires chooses to be a housewife because it makes her happy and its what she wants well, that’s fine. As long as they’re not say trying to say that is the ONLY choice women should have or that the woman’s place is ultimately always the home then she is still a feminist. It’s about choice, and excluding housekeeping as an adequate choice is detrimental in of itself and perhaps (almos)t as detrimental as saying that it should be the only one. Women who work are not ‘house breakers’ or ‘unfit mothers’. House keepers are not ‘betraying their gender’ or ‘slaves to their husband’. (They only do that if they say girls and boys have their own roles which should NEVER be crossed after all. Which hurts boys too.)

True gender equality is about choices being only influenced by ability to complete said task rather than because of gender or some other factor which doesn’t matter in terms of completing that task.

This actually also applies to men- men should also feel like they can also fulfill more traditionally considered feminine roles, like say nursing, teaching (while more gender equal it is more female dominated in schools) or heck being a house-husband, and should be told it doesn’t make them ‘less of a man’ for doing so.

It’s perfectly possible to be a feminist and a housewife.

That’s a good point, MG. I wish they had kept that deleted scene where Helen defended being a mom…that would have been great. <3

Personally, I’m tired of radical Feminists(note: I said radical) attacking men and hating them. :confused: Honestly, I dislike the majority of famous feminists, particularly certain authors. Women like these people really defeat the purpose of what
Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton did. EQUAL rights goes both ways, morons. Get that in your head. :angry:

Ugh, I consider myself a feminist, but I think that this writer’s too extreme.

-Firstly, when Mr Incredible strangles Mirage, it is not intended to be funny. The reviewer may have found the noises silly, but that was unintentional on the filmmaker’s part.

• Her criticism of the newspaper article is irelevant to the quality of the film. The filmmakers did not write the article, so the use of the phrase “the family unit” has no relation to the film itself and spending a couple of paragraphs complaining about it is a waste of time.

• Frozone is not a victim of his own incompetence- his wife moved his supersuit (I think. In the film it seems that way).

• I don’t see why Edna being voiced by a man makes her portrayal sexist. Women do the voices for animated guys all of the time, and many of these characters are presented in an unflattering way. Besides, if the character herself is sexist (which I don’t think she is), then the person voicing her wouldn’t really change anything.

-Uh… Mr Incredible and Elastigirl were already planning on getting married that day. The reviewer seems to think that they literally met for the first time when they beat up the thief.

• I agree that Bob is quite selfish at times, but I think thats the point of his character.

-I also agree that it would be nice to have seen some of Helen’s life outside of the house, although I think that it would take away from the fact that she is angry at Bob for not being involved enough in the family. If she went out to see her friends onscreen, presumably they’d have to show Bob babysitting and being more involved, which would make their arguments less impactful.

I have more complaints, but this post was getting a bit long and ranty lol.

I agree with your whole post, but I’m glad you pointed this out. It is part of his character, and it’s not like he stayed like that! He changed during the film and his journey. That’s good character development and good story, something that this femanist reviewer doesn’t understand.

I agree with you all the way, Nausicaa. :smiley:

I agree. Feminists are so picky, and they’re usually soccer mommas out to ruin everyone’s fun now. What happened to Lucy Burns-style feminism? Or Alice Paul-style? All of them have become, now, no offense–Elizabeth Cady Stantons, who whine about nothing. Also, didn’t Helen give up the feminist goal because it was a moot point?:roll:

That’s a rather loaded statement. There are no two feminists the same and certainly none of my feminist friends, nor myself, agree with this review. Not completely anyway. It raises good points but sort of loses itself. Can’t see the forest for the trees sort of deal.

Anyway, fourth-wave feminism is still trying to define itself. Things are much more different now that everybody is connected. There are so many different kinds of angles on feminism and all of those angles advocating for different things that it’s just foolish to paint them all with the same brush.

To make this brief, the day when you have more films and tv shows written and directed for, about, or by women is the day you will see less reviews like this. It may be whiny to a degree but it didn’t come out of nowhere.

Nothing is written in a vacuum.

[quote=“aerostarmonk”]
To make this brief, the day when you have more films and tv shows written and directed for, about, or by women is the day you will see less reviews like this. It may be whiny to a degree but it didn’t come out of nowhere.

[quote]
So you are saying that because there are too many shows and movies that have no entertainment value for women its okay to bash a movie that the female audience DID find interesting and has interesting female characters?

PD: Sorry about the generalization in the title , my bad