A Toy Story room for my son!

Anyone else find this funny? You clearly freely downloaded and used others works that were posted in this forum for use in your child’s room (Buzz poster, Andy’s drawings, etc.), but you don’t want to share to the community? You don’t want others to sell these on eBay (which I find highly unlikely), but you yourself will charge $40? Good luck with that.

@kdthomas: Those files that I used for the room were publicly posted on the boards because their creators felt comfortable doing so. As for the ABC Round-Up poster, I’m not trying to make a profit…I’m only offering to print out a single copy for a fan’s own personal use. $40 is the price to print them out at FedEx Office/Kinko’s in California, no more, no less. If I were charging people, say, $50 to print them plus shipping and handling, THEN I would seem shady because I’m making off with an extra 10 bucks for each poster I make. But I’m only charging people who want one the price of a single print + the price of a cardboard mailer tube and shipping. I have no problem sharing the POSTER ITSELF with the community. The original file is a different story.

Sure the chance of someone getting the .pdf and reprinting the poster is unlikely…but I don’t want someone to even have the CHANCE to mass produce them using the original file and then selling them elsewhere. It’s a lot harder for someone to reproduce a full-sized paper poster than if they had the actual file that they could bring to any mass printer to have made.

Well that’s upsetting, if everyone thought like that we wouldn’t have those files you so freely enjoyed. I think that reason is bogus because no one has ever sold these posters online anywhere, and even if they tried who of us would buy them if it was available to us all? You sound a bit paranoid over a poster that’s so obscure no one would ever imagine selling. Online communities share their finds that’s what makes it work they outweigh that risk of others profiting. You also mentioned earlier that the Buzz poster only cost $25 in Kinko’s, I live in CA…

Another thing is you posted "Jonason, creator of the Live-Action Toy Story project sent me the file he used to make his “ABC Round-Up” poster. I had my buddy re-draw it on Photoshop and took another trip to Kinko’s. You’d be surprised how tricky it was to get the poster to hang correct with the bottom left corner flipping up like that! " about the Abc cowboy poster so I am just a bit confused.

@toystory21: Yeah, you’re right, the files that people posted here were free and all I did was save the file to my computer and print them out. Yes, I wouldn’t have such wall art if they didn’t provide the files. But here’s the thing: It was THEIR WORK. This isn’t something I made, but what a friend drew for me, so even if I wanted to, it’s ultimately his choice.

And yes the Buzz poster was 25 bucks…that’s because it’s dimensions are 24"x18". You live in California? Go to any FedEx Office and ask them how much is it for a color print 36"x24"…not a special poster print with gloss or higher grade paper, just a regular ol’ color print. $39.99 flat, tax included. If you go to FedEx Office, and see that I wasn’t lying and still want a poster, then I’ll have one made and send it to you. I mean, jeez, if you’re in Califorinia (Southern) I’ll even meet you somewhere to give it to you so you wouldn’t even have to pay for shipping. I never said anything about not wanting to share the poster, just the file. I think the only reason you’re upset is because you don’t believe that a print could actually cost 40 bucks, but I’m telling you the God-honest truth: It did.

@MindO3ric: I asked Jonason to send me the file he used in his film and he did…but it was a little too rough-looking and smaller than I’d expected so I had my friend re-draw it on Photoshop with a palette that matched the film closer and at a higher resolution.

The pic on the left is what Jonason sent me. The pic on the right is what my friend drew using Jonason’s version plus a screencap from the movie as reference.

Look, really guys? I’m done. I don’t want spend this thread defending myself upon accusations that I’m being stingy or paranoid when all I wanted to do was share a room I made for my son and respect the hard work of my best friend. I never said I didn’t want anyone to have the poster, I only said I wouldn’t share the file. I’d be more than happy to send anyone who wanted a print of the poster and all they would have to pay is the price of printing and shipping if applicable. If any of you think I’m actually trying to make a profit selling posters, you’re dead wrong. All I said was I didn’t want my friend’s file to end up in the hands of someone who WOULD want to make a profit on it. That’s all. All of your sniping and accusations has turned this thread, a thread which was meant to share my excitement for creating something truly different for my very first child, into something petty and ugly.

Oh, and by the way, last night, August 3rd, I took my wife to see “Pixar in Concert” at the Hollywood Bowl, a show where an orchestra played through selections of all of Pixar’s films as clips from the movies played on a huge HD screen. We had to leave during the second-to-last montage because my 8-months’ pregnant wife passed out. We spent an hour at First Aid and three hours at the hospital making sure she and Jack were okay and then another hour trying to get back to our home in traffic. And what do I come home to? You people sniping at me like I’m worse than Hitler because I refuse to publicly post the file of a piece of art that doesn’t even belong to me.

-Jonaas

No one said you were worse than Hitler, lets not be overdramatic

Personally, I don’t care about this argument, because I don’t want the poster. But I’m sure alot of members are disappointed because most of them probably would have just liked printing it out on a normal piece of a paper and displaying it near their collection for a couple cents. Not everyone is designing their room to look like Andy’s, many collectors like having little props like these around their collection (like the “wanted one eyed bart” sign, etc)

As far as I’m concerned, the forum should be more about sharing. That’s why I do projects like the pixar balls. The last one sold on eBay for $80, the ONLY other time they were on eBay I paid $50 for mine. I have 15 of them, that could be a nice payday for me. But I got them for you guys, for cost, so people could have complete collections without being screwed on eBay.

You might say you are doing the same thing, however, when giving the choice between $40 +shipping giant sized poster or nothing…everyone will choose nothing (once again, we’re all not trying to create a replica of the room)…and thats why people scoff at the idea that someone would “put these on eBay.” My sister is a wiz with photoshop who could make that poster in about 10 mins (once again, if I wanted it), if there was a market for it, it would already be on eBay, like everything else under the sun, moon, and the rain. You can’t expect collectors on here to not be disappointed with that. Esepcially, like was said before, you got the original “non cleaned up” files from here in the first place, also that someone took the time to make…

That’s just my opinion on the issue, hope all is well with your wife and future son.

@Slink: Yeah, I’m sorry if I sounded a little high-strung…it’s been a long night. But you’re the first person who put the matter in such a perspective. I really appreciate you going out of your way to get the balls out to us, but I know that it really upsets you when some a-hole trying to be a fan tries to eBay them. I know that the poster isn’t the same thing, but I share the same fear.

Regardless, here’s a re-sized version of the file I used to print out my poster. It’ll print up nicely at 8.5"x11" or maybe even 24"x18".

-Jonaas

Y’know, while we’re at it…

This is every file I obtained from the forums that I used to make Jack’s room. I had to dig around for a while to find them all, so if anyone discovers this thread and wants to make their own room, they can find all the files in one place.

The offer for printing out the poster for those who want a 36"x24" version of the ABC Round-Up poster still stands though. Just shoot me a PM. Have a great night, guys!

-Jonaas

One more set…I haven’t used these files yet, but it’ll help those who may be looking for them who don’t want to dig through the boards to find them.

-Jonaas

edited

Isn’t that like $6000?..haha, I just noticed this, I read that the most expensive piece of furniture was $250 haha. You really went all OUT. That is more expensive then my king sized complete bedroom set. Lucky kid :smiley:

@Slink: NO WAY! After I saw the price of that bed, I almost decided to give up on making the bed screen-accurate. Instead, I bought this headboard:

d3f8w3yx9w99q2.cloudfront.net/11 … rd_0_0.jpg

It was about $120 bucks. Then I bought a jigsaw and a sheet of pine and carved out the middle “Moon” section. I swapped out the shorter middle section of the headboard I bought with the new Moon section and stained the new piece to match. After that, I bought a couple 4" maple spheres, stained them to match the new headboard and attached them to the posts with some threaded steel rod and JB Weld. The cost of my Frankensteined headboard was about $210 for supplies and tools. My version of Andy’s bed lacks a footboard, but I let it go to save money fore more toys 8D

-Jonaas

haha, I’m at work, and flickr (and other image sites) are blocked. I just assumed that was the bed that I originally saw in ur pics, because you posted it. haha, thats good to know, that bed is sooooo expensive

What main characters (or character that you want) do you still need?

Well, I’m really partial to your Troikas and Roly Clown, but I don’t think I can afford them for now. Other than that, I want the TSC versions of Bonnie’s toys. I bought the miniature versions of them at the Disney Store, but something tells me that I’m going to want the super-legit TSC versions if I were ever lucky enough to find them for a good price. Other than that, I’m sculpting a Wheezy myself after losing several eBay auctions for the rubber one they released. And I’m also looking for working version of both Mr. Mike and the Playskool Baby Monitor. I already know that all the stuff I mentioned are pretty hard to come by, so they’re far on my back burner.

The only toy I want that is (somewhat) available is the TSC Rex figure…but $300 is the cheapest I’ve seen for him :cry:

-Jonaas

Regarding Rex, you may be able to find someone from Australia on here that will do you a favor…if ur willing to pay shipping, you should be able to be one for around $150ish? maybe? You can check the TSC thread for Aussie members, I knew a few who were trying to be helpful

Mr mike is easier to come by than he used to be, should be able to land for $50-60 on ebay on the right day…playskool monitors will be $100+ and are VERY hard to come by.

Toy Story on Ice wheezy is also hit and miss…at one point you could have got one for $50 easily, they sometimes appear on ebay in bunches.

As far as my replicas, pricey, but worth it, if you like the characters…for hand made and hand painted, I don’t know how they are actually that cheap lol

Rex would be $90 for the actual toy and $50-ish for basic Air Mail postage, so around $140 all up.

He’s been sold out of my local Target since the day after the toy sale started, but he’s still available online and Target Australia has an awesome $1-nationwide-delivery so I could easily get you one if you’re interested in dropping $140 on him.

Got you Jonaas! I contacted them and they shared with me the file! Thanks! lol Again GREAT room!

I have a MIB PRicklePants if your interested. Let me know!

I don’t think you will ever realize how tempted I am to just send you my entire collection for free just to see all of them in an epic room and played with by an actual child :slight_smile:

You did an amazing job! I constantly find myself rebooking at these incredible pictures. You should be very proud of yourself

@Slink: You got a new PM, sir!

@Draik: That’s not bad at all, compared to the eBay auctions I’ve seen for the TSC Rex. I’m pretty happy with the cheapo Rex I got, but the size difference kinda irks me. Still, I wish they’d made a full-sized Rex WITHOUT the electronics. I’ll keep you in mind if I ever decide to pick one up.

@MindO3ric: Oooh…you’re leading me down that dark path. I know once I own a TSC Pricklepants, I’m going to want to hunt down the TSC Bonnie and Buttercup. For now, I’m gonna settle for the tiny versions of Bonnie’s toys that I got from the Disney Store. Thanks for the offer though, buddy!

@lostdude108: Let me just PM you my mailing address and we’ll see if we can make that happen :wink:

Now, a tiny (but really nifty) room update! The other day when I picked up Bonnie’s toys at the mall, I was ecstatic to find that the Disney Store was finally selling their revised Bucket O’ Soldiers with the super-accurate, non-Toy Story-branded bucket and the injured soldier. After I brought them home and compared them to the TSC soldiers, I was surprised to find that I prefer the Disney Store version of the soldiers than the TSC bucket I paid nearly 25 bucks for.

Really quickly, I hatched a plan to utilize the new soldiers AND fill a rather empty space in the room that has been bugging me for a few weeks. Enter the paratroopers:

It was a real quick, cheap and easy project. If you wanna hang a couple paratroopers from your ceiling, all you need is a bit of fishing line, 3 clear plastic disposable party bowls, 3 flat white thumbtacks, scissors and a safety pin.

Step 1: Prepare your bowls. Start by cutting off the edge of the bowl so you have a semi-bump free dome left. After that, use your safety pin to poke two holes about a 1/4" away from each other on the center of the bowl’s bottom.

Step 2: Use the safety pin to poke a tiny hole directly into the center of the parachute’s star.

Step 3: Thread the fishing line through the top of the parachute into the center hole that you punched.

Step 4: Continue to loop the line into the holes you made on the bottom of the bowls, tying a knot to keep it secure. At this point, don’t cut the fishing line just yet. Wait until you’ve decided how high you want the paratroopers to hang.

Step 5: Pull the fishing line back through the top of the parachute, pulling the bowl up into its bottom. Adjust the position of the bowl and use your fingers to style the parachute’s folds to your liking.

Step 6: After finding proper length of fishing line, snip it off. Knot the end of the line around the flat white thumbtack and stick into the ceiling.

What I really love are the patterns the parachutes create on the ceiling when the lamp is on.

That’s it for now! Thanks for looking and for all your kind words, everyone!

-Jonaas