Am I the only one who LOVES Mater?

Mater is awesome!

Yeah…

Yes, I agree!!

He’s so awesome, that I haveat least 7 instances of him in my Pixar collection. 2 plushies, 5 LEGO models, diecast…

Cool! I just have a die-cast. :stuck_out_tongue: 8D

I have a diecast Mater! He’s precious.

I do love him, truly. Just in the second movie it was a wee bit too much. The first movie though, my heart melted every time I saw him. He’s just so sweet in small doses

Nice response! I see, a lot of people did not like him in 2. 8D :neutral_face:

It’s not that I didn’t like him, I just missed Lightning a lot. I thought he was funny and did his job for the movie, but it just wasn’t my perfect scenario as far as movies go. So he did his job, but it just wasn’t a job I would’ve wanted for him. I need to see it again. Once isn’t enough to analyze this!

Yeah, which he was different a little than in the first one, but isn’t that good. Like dynamic vs. static?

Evangeline: Ah. That’s understandable. :slight_smile: I wanted a bit more Lightning too. He’s more universal than Mater, I guess.

Glad you enjoyed the first oneshot, SallyMcQueen! :slight_smile: (And thanks for commenting on 24: The Race Against Time too!) Look out for the second oneshot tonight. :wink:

You don’t have to feel stupid, IV. Everyone has a different opinion, and you’re entitled to yours as much as I am to mine. :slight_smile:

Yeah, but I support Lightning/Sally too, jessie. I don’t have to pick one or the other.

Good point. The dangers of absolutism. Okay, I meant I found SallyMcQueen’s opinions 99% of the time insightful. :slight_smile:

That’s why I hated Mater’s behaviour in the sequel. He was basically a twat towards Lightning and he never said sorry at the end. As for Lightning, he might be brash occasionally, but deep down, he’s a good car. He makes mistakes like every one of us does, and I think it makes an interesting character development if they actually made him unforgiving of Mater in the beginning, but accepting at the end of Cars 2. But the way they did it in the movie, they tried to paint him as a bad guy when he actually HAD a valid reason to get mad at Mater’s carelessness.

I agree!

Please don’t get me wrong, guys. I still like Mater, but just the way he was portrayed, and some of the stuff he did in Cars 2, were just so silly that it frustrated me. It is like he lost all sense of decorum and inhibition he had from the first movie and became nutty in the second. Remember when he was acting all cool-as-a-cucumber when he first met Lightning and he knew how to cruise-dance in Cars? I didn’t see any of that in the second movie.

And if say, I, was being mistaken for a spy, I would keep emphasizing that I am not, because I understand the dangers of imposing as one. In the film, Mater said “I’m not a spy” once or twice, then simply gave up and went along for the ride. It would’ve been more convincing for me if he had actively taken on the job to say, impress Lightning, or if he wanted to prove to himself that he could pass off as a secret agent. His character’s passivity and “Anything Goes” attitude during his mistaken identity didn’t have enough driving force or intent, which made his personality weaker as a result.

Well, I still take it as a compliment so thanks! :laughing:

I agree with you guys, I just think Lightning had a much more realistic character arc than Mater in the movie. I would have loved to see Mater say something like, “Well, buddy. I’m sorry for maybe being too silly and embarrassing you. I just wanted to have a good time, blah blah blah.” which would of caused me to like Mater a lot more but no, that didn’t happen. Mater just went on to get more praise by using his newfound large amount of intelligence to go save the world. I think Lightning got cheated in this movie, that’s all I can say. 8D

^^^This is a very valid point! When I was watching the movie and [spoil]while they’re in Big Bentley, Mater finally has enough and screams, “I’M NOT A SPY!!!”[/spoil]- The only thing I thought was “FINALLY.” If I was Mater and they thought I was kidding around when I said that I’m just a tow truck, I would keep telling them then and there that I’m not joking! To me, Mater’s thoughts were just like “Well, since they think I’m a spy-might as well be!” 8D

Basically, Mater is a Crouching Moron, Hidden Bada** and God Mode Sue in one package. 8D

QFT!

Mater is awesome!!! He’s my most favorite pixar character ever!!! :smiley:

Really? Cool! :smiley: What personality traits of his do you enjoy?

I admit I did lose a little respect for Mater after Cars 2. I didn’t like how Pixar wanted to make him the main character for the movie. I did like him alot in the first movie since he was a nice and friendly character who wanted to be Lightning McQueen’s friend. I wasn’t thrilled how in some parts he just acted dumb. In my opinion, I thought that Pixar took Mater’s personality a bit too far when they were doing Mater’s Tall Tales which were on the Disney Channel.

I love him! He’s hilarious! He made me laugh the most out of anyone in both of the movies!

I do get sick of all of the shorts and most of the 2nd movie being about him, though.

Well, all he was ever meant to be was funny. 8D

Well, it was called Mater’s Tall Tales so it was obviously going to be about him. I think they should of just called Cars 2 “Mater the Movie” because of his excessive amount of screen time. My theroy of the short films is that they were just testing shorts for Cars 2. The only thing I did enjoy out of the spy plot was seeing Finn himself. I did actually find Mater a little funny in Cars 2 but I did lose a little respect for him.

I adore Mater. I find him extremely adorable, funny I love the loyalty he has towards his best buddy Lightning McQueen. Their friendship is so cute!
I’m also not afraid to admit I had a crush on him some six or seven months ago. I even use his catchphrase “Git-R-Done!” every now and then. :smiley: I’m thinking about getting a plush of him to keep my Lightning and Finn plushes some company, heheh!

I also love his eyes. They’re so expressive and wonderful, with a lovely shade of hazel. :slight_smile: