Anime/Manga

Anyone here like American anime like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Teen Titans. I hated how Teen Titans ended on a cliff hanger.

I’ve never gotten to watch much of Avatar The Last Airbender, but it seemed cool! And I was a huge Teen Titans fan back in the day. I’m still sad that CN had to cut it off, especially on an episode intended to be a two-parter. :frowning: I recently just rewatched the entire series. :slight_smile:

I liked Teen Titans, and Avatar was okay. Never watched either continuously.

I wonder if Terra ever got her memory back.

Recently, I have watched an anime series titled Lucky Star

That show is, in one word, HILARIOUS!!! Seriously, it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, seeing how Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki talk about all kinds of random stuff, and all the funny jokes that happen along the way. In fact, this show makes fun of anime culture itself, with all these references to otaku and moe personalities. Honestly, this show was amazing. I saw all 24 episodes on YouTube, and in English! What could be better than that? :smiley: Aside from some PG-rated elements the series has, I recommend this anime to anyone who like slice-of-life stories and not the typical action/fantasy/sci-fi anime most of us are used to.

There are some other animes I plan on checking out in the future, including K-ON!, Nichijou, Shugo Chara!, and Pretty Cure.

And yes, I have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender as well. Can’t forget to note that one, even though it’s an American creation instead.

JSWeC: Wow, the opening intro certainly won me over with its adorableness! It’s also nice to discover that it is one of my favourite bits of the Nico Nico Dougla medley (from 7:07).

One of my favourite anime I can think of the top of my mind is Samurai Pizza Cats. It’s like Voltron met The Ninja Turtles, with some zany English voice dubbing (basically the English voice actors had an “anything goes” attitude and didn’t even bother translating the Japanese dub, which made it even funnier, surprisingly!).

TDIT: Glad you like the intro! It’s so fun and cute! BTW, if you want to know, look up a user on YouTube named “Cracker Bounty”; he (or she) has the full Lucky Star series in both English Dub and Sub. :wink:

I’ve been watching Sailor Moon lately and although it takes a while to get good, I enjoy it a lot, but that might be because I have a huge nostalgic fondness for the genre (I was really into Tokyo Mew Mew for a while. I’m re-reading it now, actually!). I’m only 27 episodes into the DiC dub— Sailor Mercury is definitely my favorite, closely followed by Sailor Jupiter. I’m curious to see what they’ll be doing differently in the remake that supposedly gets on Japanese air this summer.

There’s a lot left to go but I’m liking it :smiley:

Leirin: I actually want to see Tokyo Mew Mew! I hear it’s got a really cool story and cast. Never been a Sailor Moon fan, however.

Seeing that you’re into the magical girl genre, have you ever heard of Pretty Cure? It’s actually a big franchise with, like, 10 (yes, that’s right, 10) series installments, each with it’s own character casts, themes, and motifs, but the premise is always the same. It’s always that some bad kingdom wants to ruin the world and make it unhappy, so fairy creatures get sent to Earth to choose girls that usually are of good character, and given the power to become magical warriors known as “Pretty Cures”, and usually they transform with a cellphone-like device given to them by the fairies (though there have been some exceptions to this rule, such as a perfume bottle in HeartCatch Pretty Cure)

If you want to see, here’s some of my fave Pretty Cure videos I’ve seen on YouTube (I haven’t actually seen the series, just some opening themes and transformation clips):

Opening Themes:

HeartCatch PreCure

Smile! PreCure

Doki Doki! PreCure (their latest installment)

Yes! Pretty Cure 5

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo! (a continuation to the previous)

Fresh Pretty Cure

Suite PreCure♪

Transformations:

HeartCatch PreCure

Suite PreCure♪ (group transformation)

Fresh Pretty Cure

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo!

Smile! PreCure

So people have been telling me to get into Anime and Manga for a while, so I am getting into mostly manga. Here is my manga collection so far.

Bleach 3 in 1 (The first 3 volumes in one)
Blue Exorcist Volume 4
D-Gray Mann Volume 1
D-Gray Mann Volume 2
Dororo Volume 1
Naruto Volume 1
Naruto Volume 3
One Piece Volume 2

The reason I have Volume 4 is because I started watching the anime and I heard that after Episode 15 the anime and manga break off and anime fans who want to read the manga just go to Volume 4, the reason I have Naruto Volume 3 and not Volume 2 is because I ordered Volume 1 off Amazon and a day later I went to a store and they had Volume 3 so I bought that, and they also had One Piece Volume 2 so I got that, now I just have to get Volume 1 soon. So yeah, that’s my manga collection so far. I actually really didn’t like the first volume of D-Gray Mann so I most likely won’t ever read Volume 2, but I’ll keep them for collectors purpose.

I’m a little surprised nobody seems to have mentioned Fullmetal Alchemist, which is an excellent manga. It’s been adapted into two anime series. The first one is just called Fullmetal Alchemist, and after the first couple of episodes it diverges pretty heavily from the source material as the manga was only in its early stages at that time, and the original artist requested that they do their own thing. The second anime, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was made a few years later, and pretty much follows the manga’s storyline. I’ll explain what I think of these further down.

The story is about two brothers who live in a world where alchemy actually works (it’s depicted as kind of a sciency magic). After their mother dies they attempt to ressurect her using alchemy. Of course, it goes horribly wrong and Edward, the older brother, loses an arm and a leg whilst Alphonse, the younger brother, loses his whole body, and ends up having his soul bonded to a suit of armour. The series starts a couple of years after this event, showing the brothers travelling the country (kind of an early 20th century European type of place) looking for the Philosopher’s Stone, in the hopes that they can use it to amplify their powers and get Alphonse’s body back. The series pretty quickly moves beyond this premise into something much bigger, but it’s hard to go into without spoiling it.

One of the things I like about the manga is how tightly plotted it is. A lot of manga I’ve read tend to have lots of filler chapters or meandering story arcs. But almost every chapter of Fullmetal Alchemist feels like it advances the story in some way. Some of the early chapters give you the impression that it’s going to be quite episodic but it very quickly builds into a bigger narrative. The early chapters are mostly there to give the reader a good grip of the characters and the setting.

It’s also very good at mixing drama, action, and comedy. The action scenes are never over-long, unlike some shonen series. They’re also pretty cool to read, especially since every character has their own unique abilities. The author puts in lots of little comedic moments, and for me at least, they work. It’s actually quite impressive in some parts, as sometimes she manages to slip in a decent joke into a dramatic chapter without ruining the tone. The series ends up touching upon issues like the effects of war (on both civilians and the soldiers) and it handles them pretty well.

I’ve seen a couple of posters in this thread complaining about the depiction of women, and Fullmetal Alchemist actually has a pretty diverse set of female characters. The female characters include soldiers, mechanics, alchemists, housewives, bodyguards, and villains. There’s not really any ‘fan service’ (that is, no gratitious outfits or ‘camera angles’), and the characters usually dress as you would expect them to. There are a couple of times you could maybe count as being fanservicey (perhaps unintentionally), but they’re kind of balanced out by the fact that male characters appear in similar scenes. It probably helps that the writer/artist Hiromu Arakawa is a woman. (I think the first anime, and maybe some of the video games have more fan service, but that’s made by other people).

SIDE NOTE: The manga is rated ‘T for Teen’ by Viz. It can get pretty violent, but the effect is lessened by the fact that it’s in black-and-white, so wounds are pretty much just black smears. Some people get some pretty bad injuries though (like I said, Edward loses an arm and a leg (he gets metal replacement ones)).

I haven’t watched all of the first anime yet, but what I’ve seen is okay. There seems to be quite a bit of filler though, which is disapointing. Some people like it better than the manga/ second anime, but these people are usually people who saw this one first and consider it the ‘original’ (even though it isn’t). The second anime is pretty good, although it is pretty much just the manga. It does add some scenes , and it isn’t always successful when it tries to be funny. Also, they sometimes reorder events, which sometimes ruins the tension. For example, there comes a point in the manga where the reader isn’t sure if a certain character is a good guy or not. It isn’t resolved for several chapters, making it all the more interesting and surprising when you finally do find out. But the anime reordered some of the events in this part of the manga, meaning that you find out literally in the following episode. Scenes where the reader wasn’t supposed to entirely trust him end up being less interesting as a result, because that extra tension is no longer there. But otherwise it’s a pretty good adaptation.

Personally I’d recommend reading the manga before watching the first anime (or at least watching the second anime), so you at least get the characters in their original context.

Ooh, nice, Dororo! I need to get to reading that actually. Tezuka is hugely responsible for giving me the love of comics that I have now.

I just ordered the full-color Unico translation that just came out. I am soooo excited for it :smiley:

I read Dororo a few years back. It was pretty good, if I remember correctly, but it ends rather abruptly. I don’t know if he got bored of it or if it wasn’t selling well or if the magazine was shutting down…

Lately, I’ve been following Haruhi Suzumiya and Pretty Cure. I also hope to sometime get the chance to see Pani Poni Dash; I hear it’s hilarious, and those opening sequences are excellent, not to mention the theme songs that go along with them.

Any fans of American anime, such as Teen Titans and Avatar:TLA? I love Studio Ghibli. But lately I’ve been a lot into the “fake” stuff. lol I’m very interested in FMA, and may start watching it! I’m not into reading Manga, though, because it has pictures. I know that’s weird. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

^Yesyes, I love both of those shows! They’re great! I know it gets flack for being comedy-oriented but I enjoy Teen Titans Go too.

I’m also pretty curious about FMA. I’ve always known people who liked it a lot and I find the premise intriguing.

I like Go! as well, but I must admit, I do miss the serious episodes, namely those featuring Raven. But even being a comedian at heart, I strangely prefer dramas with a touch of comedy to full-blown comedy.

I agree completely. Despite my enjoyment of Go!, I definitely would prefer if they’d just continued the original series, especially given how it ended on a rather strange cliffhanger. :confused: But oh well. The Raven episodes definitely were great.

Raven and Starfire were my favorites. I just miss all of Raven’s pathos and development. But ah well, I’ll live.

My Teen Chemical Romance has to be my most recent fav anime. Its story line, well done animation, and characters are very well written and portrayed.
Plastic Memories…wow this one is a tearjerker. Really well produced, hope they make season 2.
Ace of the Diamond, a baseball focused anime that does a very good job at explaining baseball fundamentals while keeping the story line about the players and their development both at school and on the diamond.
Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-Kun is a great comedy that is much shorter than your average episodal anime. Running about 15 minutes or so this condensed anime is perfect for a quick laugh.
Toradora-My all time favorite anime…ever. The characters, story line, and setting are well executed and if you don’t cry when it ends…well you have no soul.
The Irregular at Magic High School, oooh this one is nice. Fantasy style approach to a slice of life that takes magic to a very deep level. The characters are well created and help instill both a sense of appreciation and awe at their skills. A good watch if you want to be entertained.