Are the story artists there required to...?

…required to present story ideas to a group of people like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=pHPZMIAh … re=related

skip to around 4 minutes. they talk about storyboarding. and then they mention how they get as many people as possible and then the story artists, or in this case bob peterson, presents it to them to see what they think of it.

do ALL the story artists have to do that at some point??? leik are they required to be able to present storyboards clearly???

I would assume so. Remember, Pixar is all about story. I think it would pretty important for all story artists to be able to clearly present the storyboards. Even if that wasn’t the case, being able to do that would probably put you on top.

If you’re uncomfortable with that now, practice. With practice, it’ll get more and more comfortable. And before you know, you’ll be a natural! Always strive for the best! Don’t just settle! :slight_smile:

Yes yes and yes! Sure storyboarding is about drawing, but you’ve got to be able to really sell that sequence. The more people watching your presentation the more reactions and feedback. It’s completely and entirely vital.

I’m actually very glad someone brought this up. A lot of story hopefuls are under the impression that storyboarding is only about the art. Yeah, art and being able to compose a shot is important. But as a storyboard artist who has to pitch their scene you have to become the character, the audio, and the director all in one.

You really have to throw yourself into it (Literally! I once pantomimed myself being dragged across the room by my shirt collar). Voice acting, facial expression, timing. Every little bit helps. You have to help your audience get the essence of a scene.

Hannahmation is very right. If you’re anxious about public speaking, practice is always the best remedy. I was completely dreading a public speaking class that was required in high school way back when. But since then, I’ve gotten so much better at speaking in front of people.

Pitching storyboards is easier than you think too. Why? Because every single person in that room feels the same way about the same movie and the same characters. You’re all in it together! And chances are they’re just as goofy as you are. (At least at my school we’re all a little off in the head).

But back to the original question. Yes pitching is insanely important. In fact, before you even get up to that studio wall you’ll have already done your most important pitch yet. Yourself! Yup, if you wish to to walk those halls you’ll need to have performed an all important interview. And you’ll be selling yourself. So be confident!
Think about it. After that, that wall will be a piece of cake.

Oh dear. Well I guess I really should start practicing pitchin lol.

But thanks guys! really helped :slight_smile:

ps LOL @Haunt about the pantomiming

Of course. If it’s your piece of the story you are proposing, then only you would be able to explain it best.
It does seem intimidating right at this moment for you, and you need to keep in mind you would be presenting your own passionate work.
Storyboarding isn’t like trying to memorize your History project for a presentation - storyboarding is about presenting your own creations, and stumbling on memory should not be such an issue.
As for presenting in front of people, you need to keep in mind everyone is in the project together, and everyone will support you. Chances are these people could become friends, and the pressure shouldn’t be as bad, otherwise.

Believe it or not, pitching isn’t all that hard. I had to pitch a full length feature (animated, of course) to my entire screenwriting class, and it ended up goign really well. I was very nervous before doing it, but I’ve seen the Pixar people do it, so I jsut went for it and did what they did. The key is definitely getting in to it. I acted out one part of the pitch, which actually got a laugh, and the teacher said I should have done more of that. You basically, just to have to feel that you can do it, and then jsut do it. Plus, you’ll proably be on ffriendly terms with the people you’re pitching to, so it will proably be even easier.

I’ve heard taking improv classes might also help with pitching, it’s something I am considering.

Thanks for your post.it is so great