Are you an animal lover?

One of my friends used to have a corn snake, and man, was I jealous.

And then this one time when I was around 7 or 8, my sister and I caught a garter snake, & when we showed it to my mom, she almost fainted. :laughing:

I adore animalz! :laughing:

I’m surprised by the number of snake fans here. I really think they’re misunderstood creatures, the vast majority of them are non-venomous and non-aggressive and will only attack in self-defence. I’d love to have one as a pet (through legal capture), I think I’d call it ‘Fluffy’. Google ‘snake names’, some of the suggestions are pretty interesting.

I’m not sure, though, whether I’d have the guts to feed it dead mice. I’ve been reading up on herpetology (reptile study) materials lately and it’s absolutely fascinating.

Coincidentally, my zodiac sign is the snake. :slight_smile:

The other exotic pet I was considering is a parrot or a macaw. My mum was averse to the idea because she still thinks of bird flu as a huge problem and says the poop is disgusting (Come on
 all animals poo. Dogs, cats, humans, even snakes. Come ooonnn
 :unamused:).

Yeah, if I get a snake, I’m thinking of naming them “Socrates” or something like that. Greeks DID revere snakes as being wise, after all. :smiley:

Snakes never really creeped me out, but I don’t think I’d want one as a pet. :laughing: I would much prefer a rat or a guinea pig.

But I adore cats. I really do. I think cats have like, a “cat-person radar” that detects whether or not someone likes cats
 because pretty much every cat I have encountered (as in someone’s pet cat) have always warmed up to me fairly quick. Dogs, on the other hand, I have a hard time with. I don’t really know why. :confused: And I think they know that as well.

That’s a cool name! I didn’t know the Greeks respected snakes, I wonder if it has something to do with the traditional medical symbol of two snakes and an ankh?

I had a friend who owned chinchillas once! :slight_smile:

Actually, that DID originate from the Greeks; it’s called the Caduceus, and was wielded by Mercury.

It’s typically confused with another similar object, which DID symbolize medicine.

Oh, I adore snakes! I think they’re cute. Yeah, even the monstrous 10-meter-long ones. They have cute faces. And the way they smell with their tongues and can move without legs is fascinating.

I’m really annoyed when people kill them just because they’re snakes. Ugh. I’ve seen so many people talk about that and they get praise too! Shame on them! Shaaaame!

Yet I love rats too. Why’s it that fans of rats usually hate snakes and the other way around, too?

I laughed when I read this. ^ Not in a malicious way, in a ‘I can totally understand your point of view’, kind of way. They do have cute faces, especially those with beady eyes and small heads (the ones with cat eyes look a bit scary, but they’re cool).

It angers me when snakes are demonised. As I’ve mentioned, most of them rarely attack and bite/eat people, unlike sharks, crocodiles, lions or other dangerous creatures. Most of the time, they attack livestock (the big ones like anacondas), kind of like wolves. Even the ones I mentioned above rarely consume humans (in fact, with the exotic wildlife trade and traditional Chinese medicine, it might be the other way around!).

Spiders are also cool with me. They catch the pests I hate (like flies). I don’t see anything wrong with keeping them as pets (unless they’re illegally poached or something). My parents used to keep ‘fighting spiders’ in matchboxes as kids so they can have little bouts with their siblings and friends.

I used to have degus. They’re part of the chinchilla family, and they’re very sociable. I loved having them as pets.

I’m surprised by how many people here dislike dogs. I’ve personally have never had a dog, nor have I even had any outright bad experiences with a dog, so I can’t say much. I did use to be afraid of them, but since one of my best friends owns two really lovely, sweet and adorable german shepards, I got the chance to really warm up to them and now I really love them. They’re possibly one of the most sweetest animals ever (if they’re handled with care and trained appropriately, that is :stuck_out_tongue:).

I also really love cats, guinea pigs, rats and hamsters too. And after watching a lot of pet videos recently, I discovered that I also really, really, REALLY love rabbits. They’re SO adorable, so fluffy and just so cuddly and endearing. And the best part is, just like a dog and a cat, they CAN be litter box trained and can even be taught to do tricks too. Also, one of the highest advantages is that you rarely need to give them a bath because they do a pretty good job at keeping themselves clean most of the time (although there will be just a few occasions when it is a good idea to give them a bath, preferably when they get really smelly.) In fact I love them so much that I’ve actually been thinking about getting a rabbit for myself one day. :smiley:

And as for snakes and lizards
 I don’t really like them. Not my preferred animals. But hey, that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like most animals, and most pets, as long as they behave themselves. :slight_smile:
Danachii- I used to have a rabbit! Except she hated everyone. But I still liked her. :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT: Oh, and did you know I like dogs, too? :wink:

Aw hey I like dogs! We have one, a Harzer Fuchs called Rusty. He’s really well-mannered for a dog

Personally I can’t see how anyone can dislike snakes and reptiles, but that’s just me :U

I love dogs. I have an 11 year old shih tzu named Cassie.
And my godmother has a rotweiler and a pitbull (both female, 6 years old) and they are the sweetest mannered dogs, and it really bugs me when people make assumptions about them based on breed stereotypes.

Actually, if I am correct, that symbol was also derived from the book of Numbers in the Bible - God told Moses to make a bronze serpent to put on a pole to heal the people of Israel (they had been bitten by poisonous snakes). When they looked at the pole, they were healed.

I know it’s kinda off-topic, but I thought I’d bring that up. The picture you posted reminded me of that. :wink:

Back on topic: I’m not against having dogs, and I don’t hate them, either. It’s just that most dogs that I have encountered haven’t been the best trained, and plus, they’re just a bit hyper and loud for my taste (I’m a very quiet person).

When I move out in the future, I am definitely getting myself a cat. I don’t think I could live without one, seeing as how we have had our cat, Alpha, for 8 years now (he did have a brother named Omega, but we had to give him back to the shelter for various reasons). He’s a really good cat, though. I love him so much. :slight_smile:

I’ve been fortunate. Almost every dog I’ve encountered has been friendly and well-trained.

I wouldn’t say I was an animal Lover. I like animals and think they are interesting. And I support Animal Rights and I hate it when people abuse and kill animals. But I wouldn’t say I was an animal Lover. But I’ve always been fascinated by Lizards. Ever since I was about 6. I really don’t like dogs. I’ve never been bitten or anything, they’re just too jumpy.

You sound like me, LovePixar, except for my love of all reptiles, especially snakes, and my extreme dislike for Animal Rights. I can understand if you don’t know what it really means: the TRUE activists thrive on misinformation. What you might be thinking of is animal WELFARE, which is responsible use of animals instead of abusing them. Animal RIGHTS (i.e. PETA, HSUS, Animal Liberation Front, etc.), however, is the agenda to END use of animals, be it pets, food, zoos, you name it.

This is an especially big issue to me given that I am considering owning a snake, and snake pets are near the top of the to-ban list, even despite how popular they are as pets.

But I digress; I only meant that rant to clarify the difference between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare.

I don’t believe in animal rights, but I do agree with animal welfare. Animals should be taken care of well, and nothing makes me more upset when they’re abused. I can not stand PETA.

And I love, love, love, love animals! I went to the San Francisco Zoo yesterday, I enjoyed every minute of it!

I sure do love animals. When I was in middle school or so, I put a lot of thought into how my cat at that time seemed to have such a distinct personality and definitely possessed intelligence. It made it difficult for me to put animals on a level so far below humans that I could justify consuming them. I went vegetarian after graduating eighth grade and went vegan a few months after that–so it’s been over 6 years now. I don’t want to contribute to any animal suffering that isn’t necessary (by that I mean that I, personally, do not need animal flesh or animal by-products to survive or be happy). I also don’t kill bugs, but I don’t get mosquitoes in the city, so naahhhh! :stuck_out_tongue: If I can, I trap and release them. It’s not like I’m encountering any insects that pose actual danger to me, such as a black widow or brown recluse.

For the record, I don’t associate myself with PETA or any extremist groups. Going vegan was a personal decision largely based on my morals, and I don’t discuss or preach my stance on animal rights unless someone else brings it up first (like this thread).

On a less controversial note (and I really hope my beliefs don’t anger people), I have three cats and a dog. They’re not all in the same house. While I do like dogs for the most part, I “connect” with cats more. They’re just so funny and adorable and more dimensional than the dogs I’ve been around. My favorite thing is to cuddle with them and talk/meow back and forth. I even secretly love it when they wake me up at 4 AM while purring and kneading on my belly. Ugh
 I’m going to turn into a cat lady. Look at me!