BURN-E

Oh noes! I can see it now- dozens of Pixar fans trying so, so hard to resist the lure of BURN-E! Though there is a chance that the video will be removed at some point before the DVD release, thanks for the heads up, Artemis. Was the first ten seconds good? :laughing:

Freakin’ hilarious. ^^
It’s quite hard to resist. XD

I can’t wait for this… Too bad I have to wait two or three weeks more before I can watch it.

I can’t wait for this short!

I admit it- I watched the Youtube BURN-E. I couldn’t resist. It was really really funny.

I got my DVD a day early, so I’ve seen Burn-E on the DVD already.
Some of you may have read a post I wrote a few months back about recording the music to it, and before someone inquires about the music in the short, I figured I’d just explain about its usage first. I’ll put it in spoiler brackets because technically I do reveal mild info about the story (nothing detailed though). If you want, you can always read it after you watch it, but there’s no major spoilers.

Concerning the music used in Burn-E…

[spoil]Original music for it was composed by JAC Redford, an orchestrator on Wall-E, and a composer in his own right. However, Tommy Newman’s music for “Wall-E” was also reused in the short as well. What was done was pretty clever. Since “Burn-E” occurs in the same time-frame as the movie (but with events from BurnE’s point of view), for the scenes where the movie’s happenings “intrude” (plot, or other characters from Wall-E), the Wall-E score is reused. But for the scenes where the movie doesn’t intrude, that’s where you hear the original music written for the short, by JAC Redford. Nice idea.[/spoil]

But anyway, I liked Burn-E. It was pretty cute…

I was really moved by the music that can be heard during the [spoil]hyperspace jump[/spoil]. I’m pleasantly surprised by JAC Redford’s work, i’m hoping it will work on some of the next Pixar movies (newt seems to me the most probable…)

I got my copy today. I loved Burn-E! I really enjoy how it takes place during the movie.

I watched the leaked copy but anyhow seeing it on my TV screen was awesome too! The short is hilarious and probably one of my favorite movie-based ones. The emotion that BURN-E conveys with those two little light eyes is incredible, the Pixar animators have done it again! I also love the sci-fi references and how well it ties in with the feature film.
[spoil]There, there, BURN-E, you’ll succeed next time…[/spoil]

I finally understand BURN-E! Bernie! And WALL-E? Wally!

I’m slow, I know. :laughing:

Haha, don’t worry Alec Azam, it took me ages to figure out that WALL-E equals Wally too! They sound so different when you say them out loud, I just didn’t get it! :laughing:

And welcome to the forums. :smiley:

I watched the youchoob one too :blush:

It’s so reminiscent of [spoil]2001: A space odyssey where he is is outside during the hyperjump scene[/spoil]

Burn-E really utilizes the less-is-more aesthetic in a lot of characterization. There’s really no wild over-the-top movements.

Btw, is it me, or does it sound like Burn-E says ‘f***!’ when he ends up destroying the second lightpole? Well, not say it literally, but the sound he makes seems like it.

I love BURN-E. One of my favourite things about it was [spoil]how it begun- the idea that, inadvertently, WALL-E caused the whole thing to happen, is so original and funny. I honestly didn’t expect it to keep cutting into the film like that, but it worked really well, and the ending was perhaps slightly predictable, but funny once again. The music was great when he finally managed to switch the light on.[/spoil]

I love this short! It’s hilarious! :smiley:

My suggestion, this short is for those who have already watched WALL-E. You’d probably not understand it if you haven’t watched the movie. [spoil]The short contains spoilers (scenes from WALL-E).[/spoil]

@Killer123: I agree that you should watch WALL-E first before watching this.

[spoil]I love the use of the classical piece Ode To Joy and also BURN-E humming it. It’s so cute! I really love the ending, when SUPPLY-R says There There to BURN-E[/spoil]

I finally saw this short! I’d have to agree that you should watch WALL•E first before this, as I think it ties in with the movie quite nicely. The scenes from the movie incorporated into the short just really added to the overall feel and made it that much more familiar and enjoyable. It was hilarious and it seemed so much like Pixar from start to finish. Great short. One of the best yet! :slight_smile:

BURN•E would have to be placed in my top 3 Pixar short films ever!

My favourite parts were when [spoil]BURN•E is standing in front of SUPPLY•R and he can’t even bring himself to look at SUPPLY•R because he is so embarrassed. And when he’s reaching for the button to turn the light back on, and it’s shown in slo-mo.[/spoil] But all of it is great.

BURN•E is just so CUTE, though! Probably on par with M-O or even WALL•E, especially when [spoil]he sighs after he is locked out, and when he says “Hello…?” and “Wa-wa-wa-wa-wawawawawawawa!” when trying to get in via the garbage disposal on the ship.[/spoil] <3

The music reminds me of Star Wars, or something by John Williams. It’s just got this fun, classic feel to it. The score is one of the reasons why, to me, it has that movie feel, rather than a short film feel. Here’s to hoping that J.A.C. Redford will compose the music for Angus MacLane’s eventual feature film because I love the music as [spoil]BURN•E is going through the hallways[/spoil], and just all of it, really.

A very funny and entertaining Pixar short - one of Pixar’s best. =D

Did anyone notice…

[spoil]- the reference to the beginning of Toy Story 2, same green font against the starry background.

• they didn’t have a title card - this breaks Pixar’s tradition of having a logo before every short!
  • the 2001 reference.
  • when BURN•E turns around and accidentally cuts the spire in half, that sound is a lightsaber, I’m pretty sure.
  • The little air pump thing he does after getting back into the ship.[/spoil]

Ooh, I completely missed that there was [spoil]no title card at the beginning! I hadn’t realised that at all.[/spoil] Nice catch, Rachel!

Even though lizardgirl already mentioned this, I only just realised that the reason why [spoil]the asteroid formed was because of WALL•E touching the rings of Saturn. Also, I love BURN•E’s manic laugh after finally installing the spire correctly, and at the final scene (the one after the credits) when all the robots are standing (hovering) around chatting to each other, I just find that hilarious how they have their own social structure going on.[/spoil] 8D

The minimalist approach to the facial expressions, which are actually because of the nature of the robots’ design, works in its favour, and is really what makes this short have a classic feel. One of my fav expressions is the [spoil]squint and “…heh” after he hears a noise behind him.[/spoil] On second thought, the score sounds more like Randy Newman, but it’s still great.

It’s too bad BURN•E can’t be nominated for a BASF Oscar since it wasn’t a theatrical release… right?

Yep, or something along those lines of mega frustration.