[C2 SPOILERS!] Let's Talk About Mater and Holley...

I love Holley. And Mater. And then together. I am such a fanboy D:
And I liek these “one-shot” ideas :slight_smile:

I dunno
 Sally IS nice, but she’s clear about what she wants. I think it would have been meaner to lead Mater on like that. She could have let him down politely.

Now I wanna write that. XD

Now that I think about it, it would be kind of mean. Ahh, he got over it anyway. :wink: Haha, well you can still write it! I’m positive we’re not going to come up with the same exact thing! :slight_smile:

Oh, I meant I wanted to write her shooting him down. Not the pity date thing you’re planning. Let’s both write our plots and meet up at the end! XD

Oh, sorry! Hahahaha, okay! I should definitely get started on it then. :nerd:

I thought I was alone on this! :smiley: I mean, the evidence is all there, which I discuss in this post.

Actually, a fanfic writer speculated on this a few years ago - Fooled Around and Fell in Love. It’s one of my favourite fanfics simply for the opening chapter, which would’ve been a complete one-shot in itself. Although I never got round to finishing it, this post reminded me that I should! It’s only 4 chapters, really.

I actually thought of touching on this conflict between Sally’s past with Mater and her present with Lightning in my Cars/24 crossover fanfic, which has been on indefinite hiatus for a few years (Yes, I actually thought of a spy fanfic before the sequel was announced!). :wink:

Thanks guys, I’m definitely going to try sit down and write this one-shot in the coming days. I actually have three in mind, all of scenes which I wish would’ve been included in the movie, that would’ve made the story so much stronger in lieu of all the confusing side-plots and unnecessary exposition.

I just got done with the first chapter, and I have to say, I love it so far. Had there not been another Cars movie, I actually pictured things going somewhat like that. Haha, everyone is so true to character and everything; it’s fantastic!

You made so many good points in that post, TDIT.I actually did read this fanfic a while ago. I don’t think I ever finished it on account of me thinking it was too weird, but that was years ago. I think I’m going finish it this time, it’s an awesome story. But me being the total Lightning and Sally canon shipper, I have some reserves about it. [spoil]Lightning cheating[/spoil], I can honestly see that happening (with him being a celebrity and all) but I just can’t see Sally and Mater in a total full-on relationship. I just think Mater had an innocent crush on her or thought she was really pretty or something, and she only liked him as a really good friend. By the way, a Cars/24 crossover fanfic? That has to be awesome! Are you going to continue it? :smiley:

Ugh, don’t tell me this is one of those “Character A does something uncharacteristic to cause breakup with Character B so Characters B and C can be a couple” things.

I can’t stand that starting point in a plot TBH. It always feels forced to me and feels like it is bashing whoever unlucky Character A turns out to be. I’ll still give it a chance and read it sometime, but I can’t promise I’ll appreciate it as much as you guys seem to have. o_0

I know,I hate that
it dosen’t even make any sense
stories like that are only made to bash the original character
 :neutral_face:

Netbug & CarsLuver: Well, I can only say that you should read that fanfic first to make an informed comment. But yeah, I can understand how some fanfic writers try to push their own OCs into a romantic relationship and break up canon pairings just for some fancy wish-fulfillment. I don’t like that sort of thing, because it feels gratuitous to me.

The only kinds of fan-pairings I appreciate are those whereby the relationship is unconfirmed (like Po and Tigress, or Marlin and Dory), or a fan-pairing of an OC with a single character (Like Pedro, or Nico, from Rio), or a breakup between two unofficial canon pairings (like Lightning and Sally). On that last point, at the end of Cars, there was a hint that they wanted to kiss, but it wasn’t fulfilled in an official sense, so everything’s still open-ended. Of course, now that the sequel has been released and we see [spoil]Lightning and Sally dating at the Wheel Well[/spoil], we can safely assume they are ‘going steady’. But this fanfic was written before the second movie was released (and therefore takes place before the second movie’s events), so it is entirely possible and even plausible.

See, I’m looking at it totally differently. I felt like they were a couple at the end of the first film whether they kissed or not. shrugs

Of course, I’m open to a well written fan-pairing fic either way, so that part doesn’t really affect my attitude towards such a story. I’m just not big on that plot I mentioned before.

LOL, We transitioned from Mater/Holley to Mater/Sally to Lightning/Sally. Oops. XD

Uh
uh
 Speaking of fic, anybody else been reading Nobody’s Fool? :smiley:

TDIT:We’re informed :wink: 
and are you saying they’re a couple now or they’re not? And I don’t believe that whole thing about them possilby breaking up after the first movie
cause to begin with there was no chemistry between her and Mater
Mater may have liked her before Lightning came but that dosen’t mean that it atomaticly makes Mater/Sally a possible couple
and about that whole “Miss Sally” thing he called her that in the second movie,dosen’t really mean anything
I find it really hard to call a non-canon fan-fic by a random person “plausable”,if Lightning and Sally have been together the whole time according to the website
besides why would Mater go with Sally only to break up with her so she can be with Lightning
any way you slice it it really dosen’t make sense
I understand if you’re talking in terms of randomly pairing characters,but to declare Mater/Sally as a possible canon couple dosen’t fit
it just dosen’t. It’s not a matter of opinion it’s factual

About that kiss thing,you can blame Mater for that 8D 
it’s not like they wern’t going to anyway

Honestly, I’ve said this before, but I see Mater much like a friend who Sally protects dearly, but who is like a brother to her, not a boyfriend. Like Monique and Ed from Good Burger. Now, it’s just an analogy. Cars is better than Good Burger. Don’t shoot. 8D But Monique is into Dexter, and they date in the movie. However, Mo’ fiercely defends Ed from Dexter’s conniving ways. The scene where, in Good Burger, [spoil]Mo’ approaches Dexter for ripping Ed off for money[/spoil] very much reminds me of when Sally, in Cars, asks Lightning if he meant what he said to Mater about “getting a ride in one of them fancy helicopters.” Case in point: Sally cares for Mater, and protects him from those who would take advantage of him, but isn’t in love with him. That is left to Holley. <3 Sally loves Lightning only, IMO.

I agree with TDIT. I, also, felt the same way about Lightning and Sally’s relationship having loose ties at the end of the first movie. Whether they kissed or not, it wouldn’t be automatically obvious that they were a couple. I mean, it’s like people, isn’t it?

I am! And me not being a big MaterXHolley fan, I love it. :mrgreen:

Now, now. We don’t need to put down someone else’s opinion. We’re all entitled to our own opinions and views as fans. To state something like that as factual is somewhat pretentious.

I like them! Opposites attract!

Oh,I’m not putting anyone down
I’m just stating why I disagree,that’s all :wink: . There’s really no proof (pre-Cars 2) that they were going to break-up(or even had the posibility),in fact it was just the oppisite(Epiloge,MATGL). And think about this,why would Lightning decide to move there being that Sally(while not the entire reason) was a big reason why he moved there in the first place? For him to put in all that work only to throw their relationship away
That dosen’t sound right
 I’m not being “pretentious” I’m stating facts based on what I’ve seen or read from Pixar canon itself
I understand some of you would rather see Sally with someone else like Mater or (see her and Lightning break-up) and that’s ok cause we all have our fan-pairings and we dislike certian couples,but Mater/Sally is just not happening,it just won’t
they’re is not evidence that supports otherwise

Which brings me to one of the few positives of Cars 2
 Mater having a love interest
Not that I’m a big Mater/Holley fan though
 8D

Sure, Lightning did put a lot into the relationship. There’s no doubt about that. But like I said before, it’s just like people. I’m just being real, Lightning cheating on Sally is not an impossible thought. Take a look at all the male celebrities that cheat, it happens. Now, don’t bite my head off. I’m not saying that he would or that he did, but it’s a dreadful possibility. And whose to say that if they did break up, it would be because he was being unfaithful? There could be a whole number of reasons for them not being together anymore. I’m one of the biggest LightningXSally shippers I know, I wouldn’t want Sally to be with anyone else except her Stickers <3 but things happen. It has been five years, for all we know they could have broken up and gotten back together.

I could see how they could’ve had problems in the beginning,but that dosen’t positively mean he’d cheat on her
especally with the determined personallity Sally has
I think it’s kinda sad how there’s other couples in the same position as Lightning and Sally and just because it’s Lightning and Sally people are always quick to assume the negative about their relationship
 :neutral_face:

I never thought of that but I highly doubt that they did. I can’t see Sally as the type to easily forgive and forget something that would be bad enough to make them split. Her personality is so driven that I can’t see her doing such a thing. At the same time though, she seems to have good communication skills with him so I don’t think she would let something break them apart unless it was very major. It is always a possibilty though, but with their obviously stable relationship in Cars 2 I don’t think that would happen. At least I hope it didn’t! 8D