Cars 2 Box Office Reports

hollywoodreporter.com/news/b … s-2-205544

Here’s the first B.O. reports for Cars 2. When more come in, feel free to put them here.

Heehee, it’s gonna make a killing. Even with the mixed reviews, every kid in America probably wants to go, and plenty of movie buffs are either die hard Pixar fans, or people who are disgruntled towards critics to begin with.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cars2.htm

Cars 2 is #1! Take that, naysayers!

sighs and looks at box office numbers… and her post right above

I hate admitting when I’m wrong about being positive.

Hey Disney?

Releasing C2 a few weeks before Harry Potter AND another one of your own animated films that shares a major audience in the younger kids? During a recession where many families are lucky to go see one film all summer together? [i:3uut3e6b]Thanks for that.[/i:3uut3e6b] :-\

And as usual, they’re going to assume something is wrong with everything having to do with Cars (and the critics are not going to help in that department), like they assumed something was wrong with 2D animation. Like they assumed something was wrong with Bolt. Because Disney Marketing Division lacks basic common sense.

[spoiler:3uut3e6b][img:3uut3e6b]http://i54.tinypic.com/a3h2fb.gif[/img:3uut3e6b][/spoiler:3uut3e6b]

sigh It’s upsetting. But I really am proud of Harry, and I did enjoy it more than Cars 2. I just wish that they could’ve all three done well and not had to have competed.

PS, I love your Lightning gif thingy! :smiley:

In Japan, C2 ranked #3 in sales after its first weekend starting July 30th. HP7 Part 2, after 3 weekends, is still the #1 movie in Japan followed by the new Transformers movie. C2 is the winner of the other four animated films in the weekly top ten list below.
movie.walkerplus.com/ranking/japan/

There was a burst of a few $M over the U.S. Labor Day holiday early in September, pushing the total very close to $190M domestic. (Last year things were much the same with a big turnout for TS3 fans, altho I chose to watch Despicable Me and hear all the very pleased kids. What a grand movie that was!) This is certainly the poorest box office in years for a Pixar movie domestically. However, it performed better than Wall-E overseas, and will net a total of around $550M global.

What was shocking to me was the catastrophic falloff on the Friday of July 4th weekend, one week after release, here in the U.S.: 69.1% !!! And it was nearly as bad for that whole weekend, Independence Day, traditionally a big weekend. Others above explained what happened there. It also had 3 more 50% or greater falloffs, which is unusual. For example, Wall-E, which was released the same weekend in 2008 had a 61% falloff the first week, steep. And that was noticed here with people pleading for it not to be a harbinger of doom. Wall-E never fell like that again until it was under $1M a day box, and its performance on the other days of the July 4th weekend were in the normal range, 40%. Cars 2 never recovered from the heat of this summer.

I just wonder why it cost $200M to make, hmmh? You know it wasn’t like they had to start all over again with character development, the ‘look’, casting, etc… This was the priciest movie yet from this studio. Oh yes, they made bunches off the merchandising (at least one reviewer pointed to this as a shameful sell-out) probably quite a bit less than they were expecting. Please don’t make a Cars3, plz? Even with lots of boys buying this stuff, the ending was flat and confusing, getting just a ‘Good’ rating from me at best. People listened to critics as well as neighbors and friends and classmates, they got it right.

I think you can partly attribute that second weekend falloff to Transformers opening. Still, it’s damning enough that a Pixar film would be the less desirable choice versus the new opener as much as Cars 2 was.

I can’t believe it didn’t do that great domestically. I think because it opened the week before Transformers but I could be wrong.

Wow. Considering production costs, domestically Cars did badly. I mean they say you actually require DOUBLE your production costs domestically to make money really- so it’s why Megamind, while it accomplished that is considered somewhat of a disappointment in terms of ticket sales, it made that but not THAT much over. Unfortunatly while (inevitably what with there being more people) Cars 2 got more money overseas, most of the money, is I believe, in the domestic market and trying to get it out of them. And DVD sales aren’t actually that large of a contribution to what makes a movie profitable (It helps but domestic cinema ticket sales are the main thing).

Cars 2 is going to go down as Pixar’s most disappointing film in various ways it seems (domestic ticket sales in comparison to cost, critic reactions). Also it’s pretty much a certainty Cars 2 won’t get a best picture nomination. Also most of the other contenders for best animated are much more likely to win.

I mean heck will Cars 2 even get a best animated nomination? I mean KFP2 was adored as was Rango and it’s probably a certainty with them so if there’s only three places it may come down to them and Rio. It will be really weird to have an Oscars best animated picture and Pixar not have even a nomination.

Cars 2 could probably get a nomination but I highly doubt it’ll win. If I had to pick a winner right now it would have to be Rango. The reason why I say right now is because we still got a few more movies coming this autumn like Puss in Boots and Happy Feet Two.

KFP2 didn’t get that much buzz. Rango was pretty good and so far it might be the leading contender. Sure there are a few more animated movies coming, but you must say that so far it isn’t like last year, 2010 which was a record, banner year for animation box office and perhaps even quality. TS3 wasn’t an original, but Despicable Me and How to Train Your Dragon were. Rio was quite a nice film, but probably won’t get nominated.

Let’s hope that next year’s offering from Pixar is a mind-blower.

2011 DOMESTIC GROSSES (so far) including 8 Disney movies

Rank Studio Total Gross
1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2…WB $377,290,111
2 Transformers: Dark of the Moon…P/DW $350,832,076
3 The Hangover Part II…WB $254,460,203
4 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides…BV $240,918,960
5 Fast Five…Uni. $209,837,675
6 Cars 2…BV $189,630,393
7 Thor…Par. $181,030,624
8 Captain America: The First Avenger…Par. $173,594,798
9 Bridesmaids…Uni. $168,781,090
10 Rise of the Planet of the Apes…Fox $168,439,717
11 Kung Fu Panda 2…P/DW $165,016,404
12 X-Men: First Class…Fox $146,360,000
13 Rio…Fox $143,619,809
14 The Help…BV $139,100,204
15 The Smurfs…Sony $136,177,892
16 Super 8…Par. $126,753,038
17 Rango…Par. $123,257,581
18 Green Lantern…WB $116,480,296
22 Gnomeo and Juliet…BV $99,967,670
32 Mr. Popper’s Penguins…Fox $67,716,783
67 Winnie the Pooh…BV $26,644,662
75 Mars Needs Moms…BV $21,392,758
79 Fright Night (2011)…BV $17,864,171
80 African Cats…BV $15,428,747
99 Cave of Forgotten Dreams…IFC $5,247,347

I agree. I hope Pixar can get itself back together with Brave next summer. Quite a few people I remember left Pixar over the past year like Brad Lewis who co-directed Cars 2. I thought Cars 2 was better then some of the other animated films that came out this year like Hoodwinked Two, Mars Needs Moms and Gnomeo and Juliet. This was actually the first time a Pixar film ever disappointed me but it wasn’t bad. It’s a pretty decent film but it isn’t the awful film that some people may think.

The box office Cars 2 got makes me want to cry. And, it causes more anger towards TS3 for me. Somehow.

I think you guys might of forgot that Cars 2 opened a few days before Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

I thought that movie was the opposite of popular. I didn’t even know it ever went into theaters until when i recently saw the DVd commercial personally.

Geeze, the DVD is already coming out? That film was released around the end of June.

I’m pretty sure that movie was a failure on every field, like the second.

I agree. I thought that the second film was one of the worst summer blockbusters I’ve ever seen.

They have only themselves to blame… :-\