Cars 2 : Is it a good or bad thing?

Cars 2, Cars II, More Cars, or whatever they call it, it will be a good thing. It seems to be the best Pixar film to make a sequel to.

Well, I would disagree to that last sentence, but I do think it has potential. But if they do, just stick with a 2 and then stop.

I bet the reason they got into this trouble of having to make a Toy Story 3 is because it was mentioned in the outtakes. :laughing:

It takes three years to produce a sequel at Pixar anyway, so if pre-production started now or next year, a release date in June 2013 or 2014 would be the most likely. John Carter of Mars doesn’t have a release year yet ( it couldn’t be 2011 because they just started working on it) ,
Up is scheduled for June 12, 2009, Toy Story 3 for 2010 (most likely in June) , and the Gary Rydstrom feature and Brenda Chapman feature (who is rumored to be directing Cars 2 due to John’s responsibility as CCO (Chief Creative Officer) taking up the majority of his time) , or even the rumored Tim Burton feature (which I’m most excited to see) would have started production as well.

Ya know what I’d love to see but never will? A joint Pixar/Fox production Cars VS Robots: When Worlds Collide They come into contact with the AllsPark at the end and become Transformers! :exclamation:

Actually, Pixar just got started with WALL•E, and they’ll be done in 2008. It doesn’t take too long with all their new technology. I can’t wait for WALL•E!

That’s not true really. Pixar works on their features for a long period of time. Take Finding Nemo for example, in the " Audio Visual Commentary " for the DVD, Andrew Stanton mentions immediately that they started work on Nemo in 1997.

Well, that was in 2003. Pixar now has this awesome technology! Go, Pixar!

Sorry, A113, but it takes about 3 years minimum for a animated film to be made. A lot of Pixar movies have been somewhere up in the 5 year range, as well. And that’s actual production, mind you - a lot of Pixar ideas have been around for decades inside their creator’s heads.

Even now, they try and craft their films over years…slowly cooked if you will. Brings out da’ flavor! :wink:

hi all, I’m a very newbie here, and this is my first post :slight_smile:, actually I don’t like any sequel, although I’m a fans of PIXAR, I really don’t like the idea of cars 2, I even hope that Pixar will cancel toy story 3, there is too much toy story in here, I’m afraid after toy story 3, there will be toy story 4,5 and so on and so on… I thought Pixar are very creative studio, they don’t need to repeat any success film, cause they can make another success film :slight_smile:

Toy Story 3 will be the last film in the franchise. This is Pixar, not Disney. :wink: The movie is going to tie up all of the supposed loose ends, so there will be no possibility of a sequel, anyway.

My thoughts exactly, dude! Although the technology itself has advanced a considerable amount, there is still the whole process of crafting the story so that it is suitable, designing characters, backrounds, and layouts, sculpturing, storyboarding, finding suitable actors/actresses, recording the score and sound effects, animating the actual characters and/or objects in the film, blah blah blah blah blah… Put 'em all together and you’ve got a film that took a good 4-5 years to produce. It sure is worth it, though! :wink:

– Mitch

As I said here: viewtopic.php?t=2874&start=30

“Pixar has not given us a reason to doubt them yet so why would we want to now? I’m hearing people say they don’t see where the road could lead for
Cars, that the ending was so well wrapped up for them. Well I’d argue that every Pixar film has a pretty wrapped ending, and I don’t think Cars’ is any more so than the others.”

The reason Toy Story has had success with sequels is because toys are so appealing and there is so much we can tell about them. I think cars hold a lot of the same appeal and potential because what are they but giant, moving toys? Cars merely explored two parts of an ENTIRE world of cars: Route 66 and NASCAR racing. Well cars are about so much more than that, and cars are something that can appeal to everyone, everywhere in the world. Besides, there’s more to racing than just NASCAR, so there’s the potential for some more international racing in a Cars 2.

And I could talk about old cars, new cars, broken cars… all kinds of cars. There are INFINATE possibilities with cars about I don’t know why no one else seems to think so. Well roads lead everywhere my friends and I can promise you, there is not a shortage of pavement for Cars, Lightning McQueen or any of the other Radiator Springs gang. I think Cars 2 can and will be great, and I don’t think Pixar would have picked it up if it couldn’t be.

I’m just saying it’s a bad thing because although I love Pixar, I feel I’ve heard/seen all I need to about Cars - I don’t feel the need for a second. A sequel, to me, feels like stretching it. And they’re marketing towards little boys who love toy cars. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mater and the Ghostlight was horrible and thats exactly what I think Cars 2 will be like (considering it concentrates on Mater and McQueen). It’s only being made to make Disney stock holders happy and to help promote DCA’s new Cars Land area (that Disney is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on).

It’s being made for money and not because of story (just like how Disney forced Pixar to make Toy Story 3 by starting it themselves).

When John Lasseter turns down the job of directing it, considering Cars was his baby, and a producer steps in to direct it because he can afford risk taking, then you know they’re desperate.

Ah! But what’s WRONG with marketing towards little boys who love toy cars? And again I cannot stress enough the fact that I feel they never would have started a Cars 2 if it wasn’t going to be great. You don’t have to WANT a sequel but surely you can see that there COULD be more to tell? I mean, no story is ever really over until the character dies. Of course I don’t mean that every movie out there needs a sequel, but I’m saying… I think Cars has potential enough for a sequel; as much potential as any of the other Pixar films do.

I liked Mater and the Ghostlight, and anyway it was a short film… second, Disneyland can make an expensive fancy ride for Cars if they want to. The fact of the mater is, Cars DOES sell. There’s nothing wrong with that. Yes, there would be a problem if that sellability started to be abused, but I don’t believe that it is- not yet anyway.

And Disney didn’t force Pixar to make Toy Story 3. They may have prompted them to, but they didn’t force. If they forced, Pixar wouldn’t be with Disney.

It would take a lot more than some money from Cars merchandise for Pixar to sell out. They never sold out after Nemo, and Nemo sold really well too! All of their films did. Well, except perhaps Ratatouille which had the lamest merchandising run ever. But anyway- I know Pixar isn’t that ‘easy’.

I guess there’s nothing essentially wrong with that, but I don’t want a sequel and can’t see any more there is to tell. It just seems to me that Pixar did what they usually do - they make a movie and they leave it off at a point where you could safely assume “and they all lived happily ever after.” If anything, Cars would work as a series, but I just can’t see there being enough to tell to make a full length movie. It’s bad enough the first wasn’t very popular, being as predictable as it was - to have a sequel would seem pointless.

But as the power doesn’t lay in my hands, I could only hope it won’t turn out to be a waste of time.

Cars was EXTREMELY popular. Not with the critics, but with the general public. And Pixar is making films for the public. In this way, Cars could be considered a huge success and therefore it makes complete sense that they’d want to make a sequel.

And I have to disagree with you. I think there is much more to be told about the characters of Cars; I loved the movie, I don’t care what the critics think- I think Cars is a great movie… and I’m excited. I think Cars 2 could and will be great.

Hog-Hug: Well, as I’ve been told before when trying to convince others - people are entitled to their own opinions, and I’m entitled to mine. Let’s just leave it at that - no sense arguing that Cars 2 will be great when, until I see it, nothing will change my opinion.